Take This City

• 38 Replies

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
Hey all,

Haven't put a new song on here in a while. But been working on this and would love some feedback. Only one request...if you listen, pretty please listen from beginning to the end and read the lyrics. If you have the time. This song is a build up :)
Thanks so much!
Micky

https://soundcloud.com/micky-shiloah/take-this-city-4

Lyrics
I feel low tonight
Feeling out of control tonight
My body's moving slow tonight
But my mind's at the speed of light

I hope that you got home alright
You didn't check in, but that's alright
It's not like you were ever mine
I'm just feeling a little bit low

So I'm gonna go get lost in the streets
Thinking 'bout you, if you're thinking 'bout me
While I walk on the beach
Damn, you would like that sunset...
View from the hills
Tops of the trees
Remember when we drove up here that night?
I wish me and you could take this city...

So I'm gonna go get lost tonight
Drinking too much 'til I feel it
Take one ___ tonight
Losing my head to the feeling
Get you out of my mind
God, I wish that we could take this city...

I wish you and me could take this city

I feel low tonight
I've got no self control tonight
My body's floating up so high
But my mind's with you

I hope that you got home alright
You didn't check in at all tonight
It's not like you were ever mine
But I hope you got home

I know you were never mine
You made it pretty clear tonight
And that's alright yea I'll be fine
I hope you got home...

I'm gonna go get lost in the streets
View from the hills
Tops of the trees
I wish you and me could take this city.

Take one ___ tonight
Get you out of my mind
I wish you and me could take this city

God, I wish that we could take this city...

So, I'm gonna go get lost in the streets
View from the hills
Tops of the trees
I wish you and me could take this city.

Take one ___ tonight
Get you out of my mind
God, I wish that we could take this city
Take this city
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:17:18 AM by Mutrins »

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
at 2:20 is my favourite part. Very nice track. I honestly loved it. This track have very high potential.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

steevm

• Busker
    • soundcloud profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
Not my cup of tea genre-wise. The arrangement was a bit meh run-of-the-mill pop for my tastes - not something I'd put in my playlist.

But I think you've done a good job, in particular the vocals. I can see past my personal preferences and still respect the work you've put in here. I appreciate I'm probably not the target audience :)

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
at 2:20 is my favourite part. Very nice track. I honestly loved it. This track have very high potential.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

Thank you very much!

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »
Not my cup of tea genre-wise. The arrangement was a bit meh run-of-the-mill pop for my tastes - not something I'd put in my playlist.

But I think you've done a good job, in particular the vocals. I can see past my personal preferences and still respect the work you've put in here. I appreciate I'm probably not the target audience :)

It's very pop lol Thank you for taking a listen and enjoying it a bit even though it isn't your genre. :)

steevm

• Busker
    • soundcloud profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
It's not that I don't like pop btw - I make a lot of poppy stuff myself. Just not the right kind of pop for me. I guess I'm very particular ;)

Listened to a few of your other tracks, and I really like your voice. It's not just good on this track. So yeah, the music isn't really my thing, the vocals are great.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
It's not that I don't like pop btw - I make a lot of poppy stuff myself. Just not the right kind of pop for me. I guess I'm very particular ;)

Listened to a few of your other tracks, and I really like your voice. It's not just good on this track. So yeah, the music isn't really my thing, the vocals are great.

I'm with steevm on this.
I recognize the natural talent, the diligence and expertise put in but
although I like pop, I don't like this particular sub genre of it.
Apparently there is a market for it.
Justin bieber does this kind of music too. Sort of a puppy-love-song.

The high level skills exhibited here are beyond dispute but I'm not the target audience. 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
I really liked your last tune you posted here and this one is decent too. Great atmosphere.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
I really like this song (I was born in the early 70s and teened in the 80s so I'm probably more susceptible to it!). Nicely sung too - your voice goes great with the genre. The lyrics are good too. I'll definitely be listening to this a few times.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:53:08 PM »
Welcome back Micky.
Good track.  As ever, your vocals are great and very contemporary.
This one feels subtler than some of your other posts.  It builds well throughout... layers and layers coming in.  I also really like the minimalism of the synths - those mid range bleeps... there must have been temptation to whack some big synth bassline in, but I'm glad you didn't.
It's still maybe a tad long for a pop banger?  Maybe after the breakdown after the first build, rather than build again it needs to "explode"?  But none the less I liked it a lot. 
Why aren't you famous yet?!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:58:36 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »

no worries!! Trust me, I get that a song or a genre or anything is not for everyone. Most of my friends HATE pop music lol. but I just make what I want haha.

Thank you for the kind words!

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »

I'm with steevm on this.
I recognize the natural talent, the diligence and expertise put in but
although I like pop, I don't like this particular sub genre of it.
Apparently there is a market for it.
Justin bieber does this kind of music too. Sort of a puppy-love-song.

The high level skills exhibited here are beyond dispute but I'm not the target audience.

thank you so much! I truly appreciate your words.

And yea it's a particular style and definitely not for everyone. I think my demographic is probably more teenage/college age girls. You know, the ones who like Justin Bieber lol

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
I really liked your last tune you posted here and this one is decent too. Great atmosphere.

Thank you!!

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
I really like this song (I was born in the early 70s and teened in the 80s so I'm probably more susceptible to it!). Nicely sung too - your voice goes great with the genre. The lyrics are good too. I'll definitely be listening to this a few times.

Thank you so much @Sterix !! So glad you like it :)

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
Welcome back Micky.
Good track.  As ever, your vocals are great and very contemporary.
This one feels subtler than some of your other posts.  It builds well throughout... layers and layers coming in.  I also really like the minimalism of the synths - those mid range bleeps... there must have been temptation to whack some big synth bassline in, but I'm glad you didn't.
It's still maybe a tad long for a pop banger?  Maybe after the breakdown after the first build, rather than build again it needs to "explode"?  But none the less I liked it a lot. 
Why aren't you famous yet?!

Thank you @PaulyX ! Definitely a lot subtler. I've been approaching it a bit differently and sort of trying to look through the lens of Top 40 and the current climate, but also sticking to what works for me. I also took a wonderful production class for a few months and learned a LOT. So I feel I am able to make things sound better and it's simpler than I thought. oh and there was definitely a temptation to throw in a huge synth bassline or something gigantic, and I did, but it sounded too muddy. So i'm glad I got rid of it and let it be simple. And yea I keep debating if I should start that second part with the bigger explosion and let it end earlier. gonna keep playing around with it and see.

So glad you liked it! Thank you so much for giving a listen and for your thorough feedback. :)