Fallen Angel

• 13 Replies

Mike67

« on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
I think we're happy with the song itself, but grateful for any comments on the production. Thanks in advance. :D

https://soundcloud.com/mike-warnes/fallen-angel-draft

Fallen Angel

Fallen angel, you don’t talk to me
When we’re on our own, it’s like I’m all alone
Oh the angel, who fell to earth for me
You’re like a hurricane, you need to fly again

Fallen angel, you don’t hear me anymore
When I say the things that used to make you sing

But you can’t go on
(My fallen won't you rescue me)
You can’t go on
(My fallen angel won't you help me see)
You can’t go on
(My fallen angel fell to earth for me)
My fallen angel

Now you’re drifting out to the open sea
The fallen angel who fell to earth for me
You are drifting, so far I can hardly see
You need to fly again; no way to try again

Chorus

You didn't hear me when I called out your name
You looked right through me; but I’m not the one to blame
You wouldn’t let me in, and you never could explain
Why you held me close, and then left me with this pain.

Now you’re drifting, out on the open sea
The fallen angel who fell to earth for me
You’re drifting, so far I can hardly see
You need to fly again; no way to try again
I think I know
I think I know
I think I know
That you’re gone

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:11:14 PM by TfZ »

Johnnyuk

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »
Hi,
I just took a listen to it and loved it!
I could tell very early on as it played that you know exactly what you are doing with it so i will just look forward to the final version.
A really great song!
Johnny :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
Nothing to add that would be of any use to you. You're miles better than I am.

Sounds great already.

Like the way the 'think I know's replaced the 'I cant go on's in the final chorus and it was a great, neat way to end it.

I did get a faint clicky sound in my left ear - headphones - which I wondered about.....in the bit which starts at 2.26... turns out it was the only real audible bit of the guitar strumming at that point...doesn't probably mean much but I did wonder what was causing it at first.

Good stuff.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Mike67

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
@Johnnyuk : thanks for the kind words. This one's for our second EP, and it's important to us that we improve on our first. Encouraging that you liked it more than marmite at least.

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra : you are kind and mistaken in equal measure. I love listening to your music. Ours is just different, but glad you liked it. I'd heard the guitar artefact too and it'll be fixed. I can't listen to the song without hearing it!

Johnnyuk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
Hi,
No i didn't like it i LOVED it! :)
And for that to be your first draft of it was outstanding imo.
I still hate marmite!

Johnnyuk

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:36 AM »
Hi,
I'm an early riser here so i'm wide awake and just took another listen to this lovely song. :)
It then got me thinking so i did a quick google search on instruments that are mainly used to represent angels and three popped up. Harps,strings and Trumpets.
Also i'm not sure of it's name but it is more of an fx rather than an instrument. A sweeping sound that falls down the scale.
So on the key lines in your lyric like when you say (fallen angel) there might be room to emphasize your lyric even more with a sprinkling of magic dust/accents using these kinda sounds. The sound fx in particular would really make the listener feel that the angel is falling using that fx. Just a few things to think about/consider etc for what is already a great song!

Katie Wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
Not my thing but it's put together brilliantly - your voice is excellent and there's nothing Wrong  with any of the song - I know that it will go down a storm just not my kind of thing but I can recognise a quiality song when I hear it

Katie xxx

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
Great vocals and all round cracking song. You've really raised the bar with this.

Mike67

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
@Katie Wilson - thanks for taking the time to listen, and absolutely accept that it's not yiur think - can't imagine Noel writing it😁. Pleased you saw something it though.

@RealKevM - thanks for taking the time to listen and for the feedback. You're too kind !

Robbie S

• Busker
    • Six Months To Write A Hit Record
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »

A real stunner, can hear this on the radio, a hit record in the making.

I would like to hear drums kick in on this song earlier

For me the chorus seems a bit muddy, maybe lift the vocals up a little to stand out a bit more (or drop the instrumentation).

Well done, it's a classic!

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »
Amazing, fellas. Great work. And what a performance. You nailed it. The song is really emotional and I truly felt it. Instrumentation is beautiful, particularly the keys, with Eds wonderful melodies working their magic. Sweet spots a plenty. I was welling up when i heard a sneak peak of this the other week and it just happened again. Top marks. It's a radio-worthy classic indeed. C xxx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
I like a nice ballad and this is a very nice ballad.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
Hi TfZ

Listened on crappy cans, so excuse me if they are misguided comments.

Great song, well sung.

Arrangement:
The beginning sections sound great on the first listen, but on subsequent listens they sounded a little disjointed, maybe it takes too long to get to the drums.

Take a listen to the drums at the beginning of Stay by Me by Annie Lennox, that sound would really suit this ballad, I can't remember if it's more verb or a bit distorted, they do appear more in the back than yours.
1:01 more BVox tracks like 1:20
Love the faltering in the LVox
2:08 the female Vox sound like a synth, sorry Vocalist if they aren't.
2:58 sounding a bit busy here, release something else make space for the new Vox line.
3:07 now your drifting -.. keep only the drums going way back in the mix, wait a tad longer before bringing the motif back, give it time to breathe, as the drums on this are really hooky.
3:23 - drums coming in here, like a power ballad, maybe like Greatest Day by Take That, bring back a chorus and go for it.

Mix:
Lose the processing on 'Like a hurricane' the LVox at the beginning
Bring the LVox up more, maybe with a bit more compression.

Very nice indeed, has so much potential

Hope you don't mind my comments.

cpm

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
I thought the song was great, and really well performed, I would like the guitar that peeps out to be more prominent, and I found the low end to be lacking, but the vocal was great, and with a bit of a remix could be a very commercial song.

Cheers, Mikey