New song and video recorded out in the desert. Feedback welcome

• 31 Replies

Muso1070

• Open Mic
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
Good song, great vocal performance. I enjoyed it a lot.

Re the video/shoe shots etc., I think the idea of splitting up the shots rather than having one long static shot of you singing the song is good. There's definitely a lot more potential there for some post-editing and cutting together of different takes from different angles - just to keep the video more visually engaging and interesting. You might have wanted to take a few more frontal shots, from different angles and also different distances. Just changing the shot makes for a more dynamic video.

As it is, the video is fine for me as a musician; I'm watching you play the guitar and that keeps me nicely entertained. But I question whether your average man on the street is going to find it that engaging visually for 5 minutes. (Speaking of watching you play the guitar, I also do that bent thumb and mute the low string thing.)

What I like about the shots looking at your back is that you can see the landscape in the other direction, and there's a nice juxtaposition. Behind you there is just nature. Looking the other way, we see the electric pylons and the outreaches of civilisation. You've ridden out of the town alright, but it still casts its shadow and you can't completely leave it behind.

Hey thanks for taking the time to check it out and leaving this great feedback i do appreciate that and glad to here you enjoyed so much.
I also think some more angles shots would have been nice but we were against time too unfortunately.

steevm

• Busker
    • soundcloud profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
I also think some more angles shots would have been nice but we were against time too unfortunately.

One for the next video!

What I can recommend is to take some stock footage of visually engaging things you randomly come across. You can keep these in reserve for future videos. For example, I recorded (on my phone) a video of my wife dancing in a club on New Year's Eve. A few weeks later, I used it to make a video. The lighting in the club was very atmospheric, and the quality of the video was OK, despite being shot on my phone (which does have a decent camera). Blending in the shots of people dancing using the alpha channels and applying various video FX meant that I got a lot of mileage out of a 30 second mood video, and it fit the vibe of my track quite well. I also had some earlier random shots of a deluge of rain, a candle burning, and shots of paving stones while I'm walking. These sorts of videos can be thrown in between other shots simply to set the atmosphere.

Recently, I've filmed various fires including a massive bonfire that I hope to use as footage for another song at some point.