I can see my mother

• 15 Replies

Katie Wilson

« on: April 14, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
This is a song that I'm practising with two of the chords just to keep it simple with two chords - hopefully I'll be able to record it in a week or so and post it

I can see my mother

I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em
I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em

She left me and walked away
without looking back
without looking back
G

I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em
I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em

There's part of me that wants
to meet her on the shore
but I can't help thinking
about what happened- before
G

I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em
I can see my mother
down by the sea
Em

In another time
in another place
I'd go and say hello
but I'm not ready yet
to forgive her pain
G

I'm gonna walk on by this time
Em

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
I can only respond to this as a lyric, as there's nothing to hear (yet), so I'll just say...childlike simplicity, evocative, image of an abandoned child....

I recommend putting each chord just above the word where that chord should start being played. Like, the following would mean to play Em while singing the first four lines, then change to G while singing the next four lines:

Em
I can see my mother
down by the sea
I can see my mother
down by the sea

G
without looking back
without looking back

Hope to hear a musical draft soon.

Vicki

Katie Wilson

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
Hi Vicki thanks looks a lot better

I think this couod could be something that ive written subconsciously about being adopted

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
Hi Katie

Vicki's suggestion is a good one. Looks much neater laid out like that.

The lyrics are very emotive and it will be interesting to hear the melody behind them. From what I have seen on the forum you're quite new at guitar? It's great that you're giving it a go and to give us the chords to go with the lyrics is very helpful.

Looking forward to the music :)

Darren

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
Thanks Darren I'm really enjoying it , ive learnt most of the basic chords I think now it's getting my fingers working properly , I'm just enjoying it and watching various you tube videos to pick up new things xxx

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Thanks Darren I'm really enjoying it , ive learnt most of the basic chords I think now it's getting my fingers working properly , I'm just enjoying it and watching various you tube videos to pick up new things xxx

That's great! Glad you're enjoying it :) and great that you get to put your lyrics to music now ;)

Katie Wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
This is my first recording ever giving you some idea of the melody

It sounds awful I know -when I change chords it sounds like a car changing gears but Ive got a great big smile on my face so I don't care

https://soundcloud.com/katie-wilson-877859320/i-can-see-my-mother

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi Katie

great to see you having a go with the guitar! And great to hear that you have a big smile while you're doing it, you should! Can't wait to hear you singing the song and playing the guitar, so we can hear the whole song.

The words, whilst simple, are full of a deep emotion that I think they convey well.

all the best
Dave

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
Hi Katie

As others have said, hard to comment on it as anything but lyrics at the mo'. The guitar changes sound fine - so have a go at singing what you have in mind on top of those changes and post it up. The G to Em change the way you're doing it sounds nice and plaintive which will support the words - they appear to be lonely and sad.

Regarding the words, I can't quite figure the structure yet (the music and melody will help) - the first three verses are pure repeats, then there's a section (maybe a middle 8 ?) with a different non repeating structure, then the verse (or is it a chorus?) and then the other section. Nothing wrong with any of this - the music will no doubt answer all my questions. Just trying to add something creative to my reply - and that is to consider the structure and the pattern.

Looking forward to the next step.
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Katie Wilson

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
Thanks guys I will record it again -and put the lyrics up  I'm on my iPad so it's quite hard I'm only using a tape app recorder to record my voice - it's strange how the minute that you know that you are recording you tense up .

Maybe eventually I'll be able to add some drums or something using an app - it's just fun at the moment and even though I know it's not very good I'm not going to let that bother me

Thanks again Katie xxx

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »
Hi Katie,

Sounds like great progress is being made,

Just one thing, youtube how to tune that guitar, it will give you a better idea when writing.

Off to a great start, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Andy

Katie Wilson

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
Thanks Andy I've got guitar tuna on my iPad but I will check it out - it's been abiut a month now - slow process but I'm loving it and also it gives a better understanding of rhythm and also songs in your head dont always fit the same as when you sing them

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »
Hi katie,

The guitar isnt easy to master (who has ever) but can be a lot of fun.

Hang in there and try not to get fustrated.

Cheers
Andy

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
'Guitar Tuna' is a good app to use for tuning. I'm following your journey and love it you've recorded a song, keep it up :)

Johnnyuk

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
Hi Katie,
It is very early days for you as you learn the guitar for sure but do not let that hold you back!
Learn 4 chords like these guys have and you too can then apply this simple method to your very own lyrics and create some amazing songs!
Johnny :)