konalavadome

Don't Look For Revenge - Joint between Katie Wilson and Me

• 19 Replies

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
Hi everyone, and many thanks for all your feedback and comments.

I've tidied it up a lot - changed the drum set (thanks SlavB) and toned down the breaks, strings are there with an 80's China Crisis feel (thanks Sandeep), remixed the vocals down (thanks Jack), had a good look at the strumming of the guitar which was fighting the rhythm (ta Jamie and Skub!) and tightened that. And thanks Yoda, Johnny and CPM for comments and encouragement. (The Soundcloud photo is from the home of a drummer friend - suitably detached!!)

It's my first forum collaboration, and I feel all of your feedback has made it a collaboration not just of me and Katie, but everyone who commented, so many thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/dasntn/dont-look-for-revenge-final-version

Hopefully this is the final version!

Dave

Rick trodat

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
I do like it. But the beat and tempo is very unstable in my opinion.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
It's nice but doesn't really jump out at any point. The production is very much at a single level and nothing really do anything that grabs your ear at any point.

That said the tune is nice and it's an enjoyable listen for sure.

I do like it. But the beat and tempo is very unstable in my opinion.
I quite like the tempo moving around somewhat. Do you play to click track? Do you abuse the magic that is quantisation? I'm a reasonable musician but I could not get anything done these days would a click track and quantising half the stuff I put down

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »
Hi tboswell and Rick

Thanks for the feedback - yes, it's recorded to a click track - same tempo throughout, although the timing of some of the guitar playing is a little loose, I admit. No quantisation on the keyboard parts either.

Quite a lot of the recording I do now is without percussion or click tracks - just real guitars, bass, mandolin - getting a bit folky in my old age :)

cheers
Dave

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
Nice one guys.  Enjoyed this.  For some reason it made me think of The Byrds... maybe it is that prominent acoustic guitar, and the way the vocal melody and chords feel rooted in trad folk.  It's an interesting combination with the synth though (The Byrds wouldn't have done that!).  You sing it well Dave and I like the wise positivity of your lyrics Katie.
It's all too beautiful.