Johnnyuk

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:47:15 PM by Johnnyuk »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
Hi,
Every ones loves crystal clear windows. When you look through them everything is sharper, more vibrant in color and crystal clear.
Your lyrics should be exactly the same.
Sharp, vibrant in color and crystal clear!

You should NEVER have to explain what your song is all about before people review your song.
That job belongs to your songs lyrics!
If your lyrics are crystal clear then you have no reason to explain your song to ANYONE before we the listener click on it.
The listener should get it in one. If they don't then re write and re write it until they do.

Johnny :)

From your original post Johnny.

Do you understand in crystal clear fashion what Rightly's song is about? If not should he,and I quote you,"The listener should get it in one. If they don't then re write and re write it until they do".

Johnnyuk

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:47:31 PM by Johnnyuk »

Johnnyuk

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:47:45 PM by Johnnyuk »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »
Would the addition of music make the lyrical content any clearer?

You have me baffled man.

On one hand you say "The listener should get it in one. If they don't then re write and re write it until they do".

Then you say "It's just an opinion at the end of the day and for every person in the world who dislikes a song there will be ten more who love that song even if they havn't got a clue what it's about".

???

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »
The thing is Johnny, you started off adamantly stating that any song whose lyrics are not transparent has failed. I sense you're trying to backtrack from that now. I think also some folks are wading in strong as your original post had a touch of didacticism about it, which can come across as arrogant.

There's no single definition of a successful lyric - if there was, songwriting would be all craft and no art. Personally, my lyrics exist almost entirely in the opaque realm, and that's the way I like it. The songs rely on creating an emotional response in the listener. Whether listeners objectively understand or can analyse that response is irrelevant IMO.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Johnnyuk

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:47:59 PM by Johnnyuk »

Johnnyuk

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:49:14 PM by Johnnyuk »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 10:35:38 PM »
What about instrumentals or classical pieces then ? (Oar in and out very quickly) Personally I prefer lyrics that are intriguing and require me to think rather than something obvious. Just my opinion anyway

Johnnyuk

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
Hi John,
Instrumentals and classical pieces are completely different tbh, not the same as a song with lyirics with the sole intention of selling a story to the listener. Additionally lyrics that are clear does not mean they cannot be creative or are simply boring because they are crystal clear. A song can also make you think with crystal clear lyrics too. I would add that it would be even more interesting that whilst your lyrics are clear you also include lyrics that make you think too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:47:14 PM by Johnnyuk »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »

Hi Skub, :)
When i say that the listener should get it in one regarding your songs lyrical message that isn't an opinion. That is a fact.

And again,as I said in my very first post in this thread,I fundamentally disagree with that statement. I do agree,that you have a right to hold that as an opinion,but it is not fact,just your opinion.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
OK Johnny. To be honest I don't really understand what your point is as there are so many examples of obtuse lyrics throughout the history of music. Also I know your intentions regarding songwriting are very admirable but please remember that there are lots of people on this forum writing songs from lots of different angles, not just a commercial viewpoint.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 11:01:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:49:32 PM by Johnnyuk »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
I gotta go to bed Johnny,I've work in a few hours etc..

Songs and movies analogy is comparing apples to oranges. Firstly,not all songs are stories and secondly,song lyrics don't need to be understood to enjoy a song.
Take care man.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 11:29:00 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:50:28 PM by Johnnyuk »