432 Tuning?

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
From time to time I've thought about using 432 tuning but I always discard the notion because almost no one else does. It's at the front of mind again, because now I've started working with someone who favors it. So, I'm wondering...do you use, or have you ever used 432 tuning? If yes, what do you think of it in general? Is it as wonderful as some say it is? Pros and cons? Cons, I assume, mainly consisting of being out of tune with everyone else. And finding tuning tools (a tuning fork isn't going to work...is it?)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
I have read up on it before and the videos are really impressive when they show the shapes made by sand etc.

I have never tried it but would love to in the future

Tuning should be fine with electronic or software based tuners/apps
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »
Try it and report back Vicki. I think personally,it's just another unnecessary distraction for you at the moment. For me,it's a bit 'magic crystals' and not really founded on anything factual,though it is presented that way.

It's easy to tune a guitar any way you want and whatever sounds good,is good. I love different tunings and the new places it take me,I think all that is more beneficial than pitch.

Anecdotal alert. When a Telecaster is tuned below 440hz it sounds rubbish to my ears. The twang and the cut comes in no small part from string tension,when this is altered,the whole sound becomes less defined. Set against all that Hendrix dropped his tuning down a semitone and Robin Trower a full tone,so...there ya go!  :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:18:36 PM by Skub »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
I have read up on it before and the videos are really impressive when they show the shapes made by sand etc.
Oh, I had forgotten all about the shapes made by sand. That is very cool! So, if I want to have an effect on sand, 432 tuning might be the way to go...  :P  A quick search reveals a lot of theorizing but not much research (it was quick, so I could have missed something important) other than the effects on inanimate material.

Try it and report back Vicki. I think personally,it's just another unnecessary distraction for you at the moment.
Very good point, Skub! I think I better focus on my current grant application and project development and worry about this some other day. Just learning to play guitar decently is a BIG challenge, in spite of how many years I've been strumming the same old k'chang-a-chang.

Thanks for the input!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »
This is the first I hear of it. At the risk of sounding arrogant I'd say that if a new concept in, albeit popular, music theory hasn't reached me in five years it isn't the new IT.

And by the way guitars detune sometimes all by them selves dropping about 6-9 cents quite evenly among the strings. A by ear tuning might just put them at 431.8 cents. If 432 was so different (its not a prime) I think people would have picked it up long ago. When the hippies did rue the world.  :)