konalavadome

Bloody Christmas-Collaboration with Katie Wilson

• 15 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »
Hi, I posted the chords of this song in the WIP section a month or so ago and was given some good feedback,so I decided to take it forward. Additionally Kate Wilson volunteered some great lyrics which I have used,with very minor changes. Someone mentioned Radiohead and Kate said she thought it needed and I quote 'mopey' lyrics ;D ;D ;D.
Anyway,see what you think. Thanks to Katie for letting me mangle her great words, it was really easy to work with her  ;D.

Cheers
Jamie

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/bloody-christmas

Bloody Christmas

When will it be Christmas time
When will all the clocks strike time
When can I just draw a line
When I know what's mine is mine

When will it be time for bed
All that needs be said, is said
Won't you just leave me along
It's your fault the seeds are sown

Chorus
I don't know what's happening to me
I used to love this time of year
Now I just live in fear
of the memories in my head

When will I know it's the end
No longer have to pretend
That I like this time of year
I just want to disappear

Chorus

Instrumental bit

Chorus

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
Like this collaboration.

Excellent Lyrics and I like the vocals being sung at a higher pitch.

Great the guitar playing.

I don't think Radiohead, but not sure who it reminds me of.

Great how it all comes together.

Well done

Sandeep

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Great bass playing - is that a real bass or midi? The production is lovely - perfect setting for the song. The lyrics are pretty straightforward and leave a lot to the listener to fill in which only works here because of the musical setting IMHO. It's a great collaboration for that reason.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening!

Hi Sandeep,yep Katie did a great job with the lyrics. I wasn’t too sure about the melody/range in the verses, so I’m pleased you liked the vocals. The guitar chord structure was the driver behind this song, so glad you mentioned the playing!

Hi Alan, the bass was a one take live recording of the song played on my fender jazz bass, direct into my focusrite 212. This is my first ever collaboration so I’m delighted you thought it worked!

Cheers and thanks again.

Jamie

Jack_Diamond.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
Excellent. Nice choice of effects for guitar, synth instrumental part is beautiful. Only thing id say is maybe do something new in the last chorus just to keep it feeling fresh. I can see why people will have compared you to radiohead but i dont think there are too many similarities not that that's a bad thing. One small thing, i think in the lyrics you posted the word along should be alone? great work.

Jack.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
Hi Jamie

Well first off hats off to Katie for a great lyric - and a great idea for a "Christmas song" which will resonate with many people. Equally, your delivery Jamie is perfect with a feeling of inner sadness. Also it is beautifully sung, full of emotion and perfectly pitched in a vocal range I can only dream of!

Good production, well mixed, to my ears at least. What is there not to like?

Great job.

Bill

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening!

First of all, thanks to Katie for the inspirational lyric!

Hi Jack, yes, the guitar chords sound good enough without any effects, but I thought this added to the overall feel of the song, glad you liked it. Glad you enjoyed the keyboard section,I felt it need a little change which could amplify the sadness.I can see what you mean about the last chorus, so pleased you enjoyed it!

Hi Bill, thanks for your positive comments! I think my vocal style is marmitey, some like it and others........Glad you liked this one! Its nice clean production which I was aiming for, thanks for commenting.

Cheers
and thanks again

Jamie

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »
Yo Jamie & Katie.

Firstly,my apologies. I listened and enjoyed this track on Soundcloud and thought I had commented on the forum too.  ::)

I dig your voice in this register,kinda reminds me a little of Sting and a chilled out Police choon.

Like monty,I love the bass,both in tone and application. Nice playing.

When the bass drops out around the 2.08 mark,then returns it gives a nice sense of dynamics. The synths coming in @ 3.33 are another cool variation,but from that point on I agree with Jack,it would be special if the last part was a little different.

Love the lyrics Katie,you encapsulate just how bitter and lonely that time of year can be for some folk.

Overall much enjoyed and again sorry for the delay in posting. Blame my age,if you like!  :D

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Hi Skub, no worries, I know how much of a commitment it is to try to keep up! Glad you enjoyed the vocals I always wait with baited breath when I post a song where my vocals are pushed up there!Thanks for the comment on the bass playing, that came quite easily in the chord structure used and I was looking for something that just wasn't following the root, as per the synths in the chorus. Take the point about the final chorus, I could have done something to spice that up after the little synth section.
As said before the lyrics made it easy to write around! Thanks Katie!
Cheers Skub, always enjoy your critiques!
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »
Hi Guys,
Doesn't sound particularly 'mopey', moody yes, in a food way.
Nice gentle insistence soundscape, look the bass and and the strings when the come in later.
Sounding really good, only thought is whether you should have ended at 4.16?
Feels like loads of space to breath.
Neat
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
me thinks its colin bluntstone fronting the nile chaps ( i know your a niler fan)
like the way you sing the opening phrase .. means such a lot to catch the ear from the off
.. like the opening of a story decides if you read it or not.. helps anyway..
and kates fine aching lyric comes across .. well sung thro out
bass line very effective ..kind of pauses in space
i do think track could maybe do with a little extra shove/surprise toward the end to justify the length if you get my subtle negative drift..but no worrys ..
mind you the xmas stuff will be in the aisles before long..
good collab

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
mind you the xmas stuff will be in the aisles before long..

Far cough nooms.   :(

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Hi,

I like the quality of a track, well mastered. The genre of my song isn't to my personal taste. I felt a little bit sad listening to it. However this is good as it triggers the emotions, and this is what we need as a songwriters . I would score t 5/5 due to well being written, melodies structured well with a bass line.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

Hi Neil, love the comment about space! Yes you might be right about stopping at 4.16 but I always make this mistake ::).cool comments.

Hi nooms, also cool comments! Seems the bass guitar is a hit, it nice to get a mention on the playing side! Love Colin Blunstone and as you rightly say I’m a Nile fan. Did I ever mention that I knew the lead singer in the Nile and he wanted to play with me and my mate back in tha day and didn’t let him. What a muppet!

Hi Slava b, great comments , it’s cool it’s not your thing but you still commented very positively, thanks!

Cheers, thanks for the kind comments!

Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 03:23:05 AM »
Hi Jamie
Well that's the creepiest xmas song I ever heard!
But creepy in a good way  ;D
Lovely flowing progressions in this - like the vox.
No clue what the lyrics are saying but maybe just as well.

Enjoyed the mystical journey  ;D
Paul