Another [Reaper] Question about Recording

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
In Reaper I always get this message and can't continue to record: "Can't write to recording files, does the directory exist? Is there a way to get rid of this without saving the work file before I even start?

There are actually times when I'm messing around with something and decide, when I'm finished, that I don't want to save anything I've done. But I have a file (files) because of having to save it before I start recording. I've looked in Preferences, but can't find anything that seems to be helpful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
Hi Vicki.  No instant answers from me but what I always do before each song is to create a new folder, then the first thing I do is to save the blank project in that folder. After that, by default all associated recordings will be saved in the same location.  BTW,  Adam is right. Reatune is pretty damn good but you might have to be prepared to make some detailed edits.If you mess with the settings you can achieve some pretty unusual effects  ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »
Vicky, not sure about that - tassuming you still have space on the disk (sorry!), could it be that one of the paths in Preferences > General > Paths is pointing to a place that doesn't exist? You only need the first two filled. I think you may also need to have the "copy all media to project directory" box ticked under "Save project as", as well as "Create subdirectory for project"... If not then it could be caused by a plugin if any used...

Good luck and let us know...

**Edited by Boydie to fix font size issues with the tagging**
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:15:42 AM by Boydie »

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Vicky,

I agree with Pompey, Andy and myself always save anything we work on right from the start, you can never tell when that first "trying it out" take is going to end up being the best one for energy and emotion, sometimes it comes out better when you haven't got the pressure of trying to get the perfect take. Its easier to delete it than to reproduce it.

Good luck, Mikey

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »
@adamfarr Yeah I have plenty of room on the diak. No default directories were set up at all, so I set up some. That did the trick. There's so much I don't know. When I was a kid I would have ecstatically played with it until I could do nearly anything. These days I just manage the bare minimum, learning one thing at a time and only if I need to.

Thanks to @Mikey and @pompeyjazz for weighing in as well.