Something Familiar

• 20 Replies

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« on: April 07, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Unfortunately, I don’t have enough time to do this song justice.  I planned a brass arrangement, but can’t seem to find interested players. Instead, I’ve synthesised all the parts I can’t do myself, which is basically everything bar the guitar and vocals. The result doesn’t sound great, but I guess there’s enough there to convey the idea.

With this song, I imagined myself as a Tin Pan Alley writer, commissioned to compose something for a soul singer. Obviously, it’s not in the same league, but I guess ‘(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman’ was something to aim for. See what you think.

Lyrics:

Something Familiar

It’s always better, feet on the ground.
See how it ends with what I have found.

Playing the game, I’m on the rise,
Owning your love will be my greatest prize.

Win me a fortune that’s already paid,
Draw me a picture that can never fade,
Something without you just leaves me afraid...
And I need you.

Always a loner, living in fear.
Ward off the demons by keeping you near.

Something familiar, is it so lame?
‘cause time’s on the slide and life ain’t a game.

Foolish to know that I’ll feel the same way,
Feelings so easily lost in a day,
Ain’t no denying and yet I will stay,
‘cause I need you.

It’s always better, feet on the ground.
See how it ends with what I have found.

Playing the game, I’m on the rise,
Owning your love will be my greatest prize.

Win me a fortune that’s already paid,
Draw me a picture that can never fade,
Something without you just leaves me afraid...
And I need you.

Music:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnzdj9i7fflg7ax/Something%20Familiar.mp3?dl=0

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »
Well the song sounds OK though it doesn't sound much like a soul song to me....the arrangement....no not just that....I'm trying to get under that...the whole rhythmic feel sounds more like a madrigal or something folky.

It must have taken you ages so you'll hate me for saying that it would maybe be easier to evaluate it if you just gave us a stripped down version...just acoustic guitar and vocal perhaps. You could inject the guitar part with the soulful rhythmic feel you're after and it would put the song across better I think. Hard to evaluate as it is.

Feel free to remove the vis from the beginning of my name and leave out the o ......just my humble opinion.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Ok if it hasn't turned out to be a soul song, it is still a great sound.
Trying to work out what the sound is.....it is very unique

It has hints of Simon and Garfunkel, with an 80s twist.

I like it a lot....wish it was in Soundcloud to play?

Sandeep

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »
Well the song sounds OK though it doesn't sound much like a soul song to me....the arrangement....no not just that....I'm trying to get under that...the whole rhythmic feel sounds more like a madrigal or something folky.

It must have taken you ages so you'll hate me for saying that it would maybe be easier to evaluate it if you just gave us a stripped down version...just acoustic guitar and vocal perhaps. You could inject the guitar part with the soulful rhythmic feel you're after and it would put the song across better I think. Hard to evaluate as it is.

Feel free to remove the vis from the beginning of my name and leave out the o ......just my humble opinion.

Not at all. I absolutely agree the song took an unexpected turn. I may have an unplugged version somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out.

I absolutely appreciate you taking the time to listen and write something about it. Thank you!

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:59:58 AM »
Ok if it hasn't turned out to be a soul song, it is still a great sound.
Trying to work out what the sound is.....it is very unique

It has hints of Simon and Garfunkel, with an 80s twist.

I like it a lot....wish it was in Soundcloud to play?

Sandeep

Thank you Sandeep. Always too kind. I'm not sure I've really done my best with it, so I may hold off adding it to my SoundCloud collection for now.

Thanks again.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
Whato biggers

First, I love your name especially the pondets bit.

This is a really well written song, and I really like it, to my ear there are a few things that sound a bit unbalanced, nothing that couldn't be fixed with another arrangement approach and some mixing/production. Maybe there some scope to make the 2nd and subsequent verses a little different motif wise, also maybe just brushes on a snare to glue it together rather than the accordion/bandaleon?

There's something about the doubling of the LVox that makes it sound crowded, and the chorus on the guitar is a little overstated, like one of the earlier posts said maybe an acoustic axe would be better?

Take a break from this version, and return after you next piece, then re-arrange it, it'll be obvious to you then.

We've got tadpoles in our pond at the moment, but they'll soon be bigFrogsInASmallPondet

Hope this helps....

cpm

Thanks very much for a great song.

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »
Whato biggers

First, I love your name especially the pondets bit.

This is a really well written song, and I really like it, to my ear there are a few things that sound a bit unbalanced, nothing that couldn't be fixed with another arrangement approach and some mixing/production. Maybe there some scope to make the 2nd and subsequent verses a little different motif wise, also maybe just brushes on a snare to glue it together rather than the accordion/bandaleon?

There's something about the doubling of the LVox that makes it sound crowded, and the chorus on the guitar is a little overstated, like one of the earlier posts said maybe an acoustic axe would be better?

Take a break from this version, and return after you next piece, then re-arrange it, it'll be obvious to you then.

We've got tadpoles in our pond at the moment, but they'll soon be bigFrogsInASmallPondet

Hope this helps....

cpm

Thanks very much for a great song.

Thanks! I like long 60s psych band names (as well as the music of course).

I agree. I think after taking a break from it I may come back to this one with a simpler arrangement.

I'm very glad you liked the tune. Thank you for listening (same goes to everyone else).

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
I liked the lo-fi feel to this and the wandering guitar. I like those intro 'trumpets'...I can't figure out if its a trumpet sound that sounds like an accordion or the other way round. Kind of sounds like one of those toy keyboards.

Everyone is right, its not a soul song but that doesn't matter. It has an early Sufjan Stevensy vibe to it and also reminded me of those late 60's/early 70s folksters like Vashti Bunyan, Fairport Convention...

Ideally (IMO) the break after the second verse needs more variation in the arrangement (and/or tune) so that we have something a bit more different before going into the final verse.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
The instrumental ensemble is very interesting. I know you wanted real brass, but even here maybe there is too much top on them in the production which makes them sound perhaps more shrill than they need to be?

The guitar work is so sweet though, as too the vocals. It's certainly an unconventional song and a unique mashed up sound that grew on me as it progressed. Lots of interest throughout and very nice melody too.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
I liked the lo-fi feel to this and the wandering guitar. I like those intro 'trumpets'...I can't figure out if its a trumpet sound that sounds like an accordion or the other way round. Kind of sounds like one of those toy keyboards.

Everyone is right, its not a soul song but that doesn't matter. It has an early Sufjan Stevensy vibe to it and also reminded me of those late 60's/early 70s folksters like Vashti Bunyan, Fairport Convention...

Ideally (IMO) the break after the second verse needs more variation in the arrangement (and/or tune) so that we have something a bit more different before going into the final verse.

I originally wanted trumpet and saxophone but I can't really justify paying musicians and, it would seem, the synth software I have access to hasn't quite cut the mustard.

I think your right. The song probably could do with an added dimension.

Thank you!

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:54 AM »
The instrumental ensemble is very interesting. I know you wanted real brass, but even here maybe there is too much top on them in the production which makes them sound perhaps more shrill than they need to be?

The guitar work is so sweet though, as too the vocals. It's certainly an unconventional song and a unique mashed up sound that grew on me as it progressed. Lots of interest throughout and very nice melody too.

Yes, the brass synth hasn't quite worked I think. Should have stuck with organ.

Some very kind words there. Highly appreciated.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
Hello mate,

I've got to say that I really like this song. Is it "soul" though?? Not for me I'm afraid, BUT that doesn't matter, I LOVED the melody, very pretty and Yes, because of your vocal style/tone it does sound lovely and folky (sorry if that's not what you were going for mate) the guitar tone is lovely and well played and I thought the brass sounded nice actually. ;D

Only thing I noticed was the vocal timing is a little off at 2.28 for a bit.

Sooo all in all great job mate. :D

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Hello mate,

I've got to say that I really like this song. Is it "soul" though?? Not for me I'm afraid, BUT that doesn't matter, I LOVED the melody, very pretty and Yes, because of your vocal style/tone it does sound lovely and folky (sorry if that's not what you were going for mate) the guitar tone is lovely and well played and I thought the brass sounded nice actually. ;D

Only thing I noticed was the vocal timing is a little off at 2.28 for a bit.

Sooo all in all great job mate. :D

Hey thanks! That's really kind. Sometimes I plan to write in a particular style but it then ends up mutating into something else.

Yours words are very kind and supportive. Thanks again (and sorry for the late reply).

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
Hello @bigFishAndTheSmallPondets this is fischermans ><(((°>
I like your style very much. It reminds a bit on Simon Garfunkel but it‘s enough different to be something on it‘s own. The positiv Melody jolly me along to the end but the lyrics fits not 100 percent to the melody, but this is may only me.
Very good singing here. Keep on the good work.
Alexander
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:34:55 AM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
Not an easy song to review...but I shall do my best!

Lovely melodies in here. Wasn't always easy to get hold of them though...probably too much in the way of distractions in the arrangement, I guess.

I thought it was really effective when it broke down around 2:20 into piano and guitar which both sounded really nice...but I didn't recall them even being there earlier...although I'm sure they were  :)

I think the core of the song is very nice...and could stand up to being given more prominence.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter