konalavadome

Something Familiar

• 20 Replies

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »
Hello @bigFishAndTheSmallPondets this is fischermans ><(((°>
I like your style very much. It reminds a bit on Simon Garfunkel but it‘s enough different to be something on it‘s own. The positiv Melody jolly me along to the end but the lyrics fits not 100 percent to the melody, but this is may only me.
Very good singing here. Keep on the good work.
Alexander

Love the fish drawing!

To be compared with S&G is truly an honour for me. Thank you so much for this.

What was it about the lyric that didn't work for you? I am intrigued to know more.

Thanks again sir. Too kind.

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:10:43 AM »
Not an easy song to review...but I shall do my best!

Lovely melodies in here. Wasn't always easy to get hold of them though...probably too much in the way of distractions in the arrangement, I guess.

I thought it was really effective when it broke down around 2:20 into piano and guitar which both sounded really nice...but I didn't recall them even being there earlier...although I'm sure they were  :)

I think the core of the song is very nice...and could stand up to being given more prominence.

Thank you!

Someone very generously remixed the songs for me. I also changed it slightly:

https://soundcloud.com/big-fish-small-pondettes/something-familiar

I have to admit the first version may have been a bit too busy and cluttered. I do hope this new version is a bit easier to listen to.

Some very kind words there. Thank you!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
Hi - it's definitely a good song - lots of nice melodic lines and good lyrics.

The new version is better balanced (but perhaps less "grabbing" - go figure!). I think it could really do with something to glue it all together which for me would be a tasteful drum track. They're hard to create from scratch but maybe you or your remixer could find some loops somewhere which could fit?

But maybe that's not the vibe you're going for. Just an idea. Great to hear the progression of the song anyway.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 04:55:57 PM »
Personally I'd file this firmly in the 'folk' category, rather than Soul...not that that really matters, a song's a song. (Well, unless you really were on Tin Pan Alley and were commissioned to write a soul hit, I can see there might be a difference opinions then😊

It's certainly memorable melodically.

I know what you mean about not having time but it's a shame as I'd like to hear this with proper brass and piano etc.

Good job, just needs a little refinement and production is all.

Yodasdad

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
Hi,
The second version is definitely a big improvement (although the first was pretty good too).
Like Ramshackles said it reminded me a lot of Sufjan Stevens... it has that gentle, nu-folky-Americana feel to it.
I liked the choice of "brass" sound in the second version more (it's a bit more like an organ, which suits the vibe a bit more?).  And the guitar sound is pretty cool too, makes me think of the Byrds in parts.
(Sorry I know it's not that helpful just to be compared to other people but those are both big compliments in my book!)
Nice song & heading towards really neat production.
It's all too beautiful.

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Very good idea, but quality puts me off a bit sorry. The noise from vocal soundtrack really distracting.

Best Regards,
Slava B.