Facebook advertising (let's see...)

• 23 Replies

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:11:31 AM »
Well i've bitten the bullet and just promoted my Facebook page for a daily fee of $1 lasting 10 days. It's a little experiment to see if it actually works at all and what kind of reach I get.

That amount is the lowest on the scale and apparently will reach upwards of 6,000 people.
I'll let you know how I get on :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
So after almost 24 hours of Facebook promotion my page has a total of ONE new like.
The promotion in the first day reached 35 (!) people and out of those one liked the page. So basically so far it has cost me $1 for one new like.
I should qualify this by saying that my reach is male and female, aged 18-50 and live in the UK.
After the first day of promotion I have concluded that it is a waste of time and money though we'll see how things pan out over the next several days.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »
I tried that a couple times. It did boost my views considerably but had little, if any, effect on my likes or followers. What has worked best for me on Facebook is to post occasionally on my personal page, providing a link and saying something like, "My Late Bloomers Rock page is up to ## likes. I'd sure like to make it to 100. If you haven't liked it yet, I hope you'll check it out and maybe mention it to your friends, as well."

Doing that a couple times got me up over 100. Now I'm working on 200....

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:54:31 PM »
Thanks for the info and advise. I've already invited all my friends to like the page lol. I guess promoting it on forums and other social media is the way to go. I also promote it in Facebook music groups. Was curious to see if this way works at all oh well.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
Have I liked it yet? Do I know where it is?

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »
I've just liked yours. mine is https://www.facebook.com/RealKevM thank you :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:48:14 AM »
Gotcha! Thanks! Someday I'll make it to 200!  ;D

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2

Mike67

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
twofromzero has liked you...I think. I do try to like people, but the older I get the harder it becomes.  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
I wish I had the time to address this properly as I think I could write a pretty good guide on marketing and the use of FACEBOOK etc.

Facebook advertising can be an AMAZINGLY powerful tool but you must think of it in exactly the same way as any traditional marketing or advertising activity - what is your objective from the campaign?

What exactly are you "selling" - e.g. Likes to your page?, song listens?, attendance to gigs?

Trying to do everything in one go is probably expecting too much from a Facebook campaign (or any advertising/marketing campaign)

I would suggest just picking ONE objective and focusing on that

E.g. - if it is attendance to gigs then focus locally and make sure your page has lots of videos of gigs

If it is song listens then I would suggest picking just ONE song to focus your efforts on (e.g. The concept of using a "single") so you direct all traffic to this and your Facebook page is temporarily designed around this

If it is "page likes" then you need to give people a reason to like the page - e.g. Get a free download of "xyz" song if you like my page

Using advertising to simply "raise awareness" can be a good approach - but only as part of a bigger campaign - the scale you are talking is NOT going to raise much awareness in the grand scheme of things on Facebook

The other key thing about social media is giving people a reason to "share" - you may be thinking your songs are so good that everyone will immediately want to alert their friends to this wonderful talent they have discovered

No matter how talented you are this rarely happens based on "quality" alone - think how many things you have liked/shared because they were simply "good"

Usually a bit of a "gimmick" is involved, which is normally a prank, a cat, animals doing funny things etc.

Viral marketing campaigns are usually REALLY well thought out (and then made to look natural) so I would suggest spending some time thinking about EXACTLY what you want to promote and get out of advertising and then plan it out

This is not particularly aimed at you but anyone wanting to market themselves - there are some tried and tested approaches to marketing products so don't re-invent the wheel and do some research to come up with a highly targeted campaign with a very specific goal

HOWEVER, having said all of the that - at least you have done something and taking this first step is usually the hardest part so massive kudos to you for giving it a go

If you agree with anything I have said above you can now refine your approach and see if your success improves
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:53:04 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
I definitely agree. You make some very interesting and helpful points. Infact, I'll be taking your advice in the futire. I just wanted to see what Facebook advertising was about really and looking just for likes with no specific goal in mind. You're right a specific campaign would work best I think. I have gained another like from my advert though lol

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
Well so far 106 reach and 4 likes :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
It sounds like things are picking up

Do you have a target in mind of how many LIKES you would be happy with?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »
No not at all really, I mean I'm just doing it this first time out of curiousity.
With 6 days left I've had 199 see my advert and a whopping 6 people have liked it

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Well the 10 day promotion has ended with  467 person reach and from that 12 page likes. I didn't get the reach I expected and was a tenner worth it for 12 page likes? Not really.
I will try again in the future though, perhaps with a targeted campaign to drive listeners to my Spotify.