konalavadome

My First Recording Work

• 3 Replies

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

Slightly misleading title, and I hope this is in the right place too (apologies if not).

Technically not by any means my first recording, however it is my first mastered and released commercial recording.
This is my band, Limit 60. I recorded and mixed this EP in my home studio, then got it mastered by Fergal Davis (Muse, Sinead O'Connor, Ben Folds).

I'd be really very curious to hear what you all think of my work. I was aiming for a sort of 70's funk vibe here, and trying to reflect that in my recording. Particularly with the drums, where I went for an old jazz kit and recorded it with only 2 microphones. One OH and a kick.

I've used only free software to do it (because I'm poor and rubbish at torrenting :P) and basic mic equipment. Proper ghetto type recording at work here :P
Anyway, any comments welcome!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
David

I'll take a listen as soon as I can...

Love the picture, if you did 'Hamster' on that equipment then you did a great job...

cpm

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
Yup, all done in that shed. The "muffin" as I call it. (Zappa fanatics will get it :P )
Credit to my sister for the photography!
I use a Behringer 16i16 interface, Empire moniters, AKG C1000s for OH and Vox, and Superlux drum mics for misc bits like percussion. :)
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »
Hi David,

Just listening to it now, and I love the drum sound, really retro.

There also might be room for more vocals, there was always shed loads of harmony going on behind, thickened it up nicely -  Isley brothers 'Summer Breeze'...

Cool stuff

..do you feel lucky?

Clint pm Eastwood

Check out Lalo Schifrin for sounds from the 70's films, Dirty harry, plenty of a bongos in there, and fender P bass....