konalavadome

Fade Outs. Whats your view?

• 18 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Personally I think it depends on the song. I've heard a lot of songs that end abruptly where I'd like a little more of the chorus and a fade out would fit the bill nicely.

On the other hand, I've heard some songs that fade out that would have benefited from wither continuing a little longer (hey, when you get a great chorus that you just can't help singing along to, who wants to stop? :p ) and then maybe fading out.

I think cop out ( @PaulyX I think it was) is a gross over-generalisation. To me it either suits the song or it doesn't. Sometimes a song just doesn't want to end and "fade out" gives it a graceful way out...

Ps. When I first started writing songs I wrote in album lots... one of them was called Fadeout. So maybe I'm biased! :p

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Sorry for being gross Sterix.  It happens a lot...
Yep, I probably was a bit harsh on the "FO", it's just that I tend to like songs that swagger in, kick over a dustbin, and leave.  Like I said above though, there are definite exceptions to that, particularly if the FO starts doing its own funky thing as it walks off into the sunset.  My last post but one also had a fade out, so I'm hypocritical anyway!
It's all too beautiful.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
Been chuckling reading this thread.

We like to hit the last chord, like @PaulyX, kick something and throw something out the hotel window.

Go out in a blaze of.....well, not glory but you get the drift.

Andy

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »
Fade outs can be very creative, like fade in's, I heard a fade in the other day that blew my mind, and I'm going to borrow the idea on my next tune.

Fade outs can surprise, re iterate a reprise, I love them and think of them as a real opportunity to finish the song in a way you least expect, I agree it's obvious when people are lazy and just fade to black, but if you can make them smile or surprise that's worth it, I think of it like the lingering  'Finish' of a good scotch, it's there way after it's gone.

cpm