Check it out

• 4 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: March 20, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »
Ok here goes - I recently bought an Amazon Echo and started an Amazon music subscription.  I searched for a song called 'Billy' by the eighties artist Nik Kershaw.  His songwriting didn't appeal to me at all me in the eighties but I had received a copy of this song with Guitarist magazine in the nineties.  I keep returning to this song because it is in my opinion wonderful. The melody and especially the lyrics, are great beyond belief!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_fCnBfMTY

The section about the "blonde girl and the bond, girl, the French made and a sex aid" are  unbelievably good.  If you missed this song first time around, check it out. Absolute quality songwriting in my opinion.

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:10:01 PM »
I've always liked tiny Nik's material. Songs such as The Riddle were high points in the era.

That's a cool track,a complete package perhaps? I dunno,I have no notion of what currently makes a commercially viable song,if I ever did. I know for sure,it's nothing I put out!  :D Some sweet geetar in there too,I can dig it.

Ta for posting Paul.  :)

Nik is about the size of a greyhound jockey,btw.  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:00 PM »
Yep. He played at a local music pub here about 5 years ago. He was good,  really good but I couldn't see him

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
What a fantastic song, superb lyrics, thanks for sharing. Not sure about that snare sound though (forum joke).

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »
"He reads Marie Claire at the Doctors, just in case there is something he should know"

Nik's  writing depicts great understanding of how a man can feel, what he wants and desires and how he sometimes struggles with the expectations of modern society.  This is a  aseriously good song.

Skub,

I read tha that Nick pieces together his guitar solos as he doesn't believe his guitar playing to be the best.  Either way this is a masterful example of songwriting.

Paul