Help me choose song samples?

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:37:00 AM »
I'm applying for a grant and I need to supply a sample of my music, up to 5 minutes long. I have been advised it would be in my best interests to include an assortment of clips rather than one complete song, as reviewing committee members have been overheard lamenting it would help if they could hear a variety of the person's work.

Those of you who are familiar with my songs (plus anyone who wants to go to the trouble of listening to a few to get familiar with them), if you have time, would you consider giving me an idea what you think would be my best choices for samples to use--the songs, and maybe the best sections of the songs? I think three would probably be adequate.

I am presently thinking about "The Mark of the Chains", "Makin' Lemonade", and maybe "Sky Lanterns". But I'm not objective, so other opinions would be very welcome.

If I get this grant (about 20-25% of applicants get funded, so my chances are not great), I may have more songs professionally produced, and I will be looking for music besides my own to include in the public music show at the end of the grant period. It will be a themed revue, but the songs do not need to speak to the theme directly. Or even at all, really. I plan to hire a writer to work in whatever I have for songs so everything flows logically, but a song could easily be a case of, "You know, what you just said reminds me of a song my mother used to sing to me." The song could be about anything.

Thanks!
Vicki

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
Hi VICKY

5 minutes is quite a long time to fill with "song snippets" and judging by the feedback I would suggest cramming as many different songs in as you can to keep the song presentation "punchy" - i.e. a verse and chorus from each

How many songs in total do you now have recorded to a decent quality? (and depending on the deadline you could include the 3 currently being worked up)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Thanks, Boydie...I have 8 so far. Nine, if you count both versions of "The Holiest of Stories". My deadline is May 4. I hope to have the grant done early, but I don't have to click "submit" until May 4.

I hadn't thought of squeezing in as many as possible. If I use all 8 songs I have, I can give each one half a minute, easy. I'll check, first, to make sure that wouldn't be perceived as going too far the other direction, but that sounds like a great idea.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
Hi,
To add to what Boydie has advised i would also consider each songs order. Put what you consider to be your weakest songs at the start and the strongest songs at the end. They don't know which are your strong or weak songs. Only you know this so by ordering them in this way you will finish strong.
Johnny :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »
Thanks for the great advice, guys. I was able to fit 5 verse/chorus clips into the 5 minutes. I had to trim off more than I wanted, but I think it's a good variety. And I tried to build to the strongest at the end, although, I think they're all kind of equal.

Vicki