Have a keyboard, have a computer, need help/advice pairing the two

• 16 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place but of all the descriptions, it seemed the most appropriate.

Okay, so real n00b here when it comes to equipment (I work tech supoort though so I know how to Google!).That said, human experience trumps artiificial intelligence and I'm guessing there's a lot of experience here! :D

I've just pulled out my old synthesizer which I'm hoping still works (it did last time I tinkered around with it - not sure if it was last year or the year before). I'll know better when I can find the damn power supply!

It's a Casio CTK-691 - probably as old as my marriage (okay, maybe not quite THAT old, but it must be claiming it's pension in keyboard years!).

I'd love to hook it up to my computer, which is a little more modern: 12gb RAM (with room for improvement), 4th gen (I think - hardware is not my speciality) i3 processor, 2x250gb SSDs and a 3TB HDD, 64-bit W10 Pro. It suits my needs pretty much... and didn't cost me a penny! :D

I could also fall back to my laptop for something older (if my computer is too modern to interact with the Casio) but I've currently got Ubuntu on it for learning purposes. I can also have pretty much any version of Windows on my computer as a VM - I have install pretty much any version going...

Anyway, back to the point. I'm not exactly sure on what I want to do with it (and part of that is because I really don't know what I can do with it!) so I'm after some help. What do I need for connecting up the old gal to my computer - in terms of hardware and software - and what sort of things could I do with it?

I'm looking at cheap as possible (money is tighter than a Scotman's purse strings! :( ). Are there any free utilities out there I could use? I'm not after producing anything remotely professional - I'll leave that to you guys.

Actually, there IS one thing I'd like to do. Years ago I recorded a song with my wife. It wasn't brilliant - having neither any real keyboard talent nor any real hardware (a tape recorder and recording both me trying to play the keyboard and sing at the same time). Still, it was our baby and we were proud of it. Unfortunately it was lost in time.

I'm think I'd like to have a crack at re-recording it and surprise my wife for our 20th anniversary later this year. It's going to be a struggle to get her anything material and I think this may be much more sentimental.

I may have to re-write the lyrics though. I've never been totally happy with them - even the pretty total re-write I did.

So now you now just how n00bish I am with all this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
Hi Sterix. Probably not the answer you want if you want to spend no dosh and I got into home recording under the premace of spending not very much. But I would seriously recommend the following. ...

As you're a keyword player get a midi keyboard. We're talking about 50 quid these days and you will get some free software bundled. Then you can use all the free vsti synths, pianos... out there. Secondly an audio interface. One of the Scarlett interfaces for about 70 quid will suffice. That's my setup anyway. About 120 quid. Keep the synth in the loft then sell it on fbay in 20 years time and retire 😊

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:34:49 PM »
Hi Sterix

A quick google search tells me that your keyboard is already midi enabled, so actually, all you need to get started is some software and a midi-USB cable adapter like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-MIDI-Interface-Adapter-Cable-MIDI-In-Out-Lead-for-Win-XP-Vista-Mac/262362681660?hash=item3d1608d13c:g:S-gAAOSwuShaaLLN

As far as software goes, there's a lot to choose from but I think the cheapest is Reaper which is about 60USD, but they allow you to download and use it for free to try it out.

Ebay is quite a good source of used audio software, especially if you don't mind using one or two generation old stuff.

Just to clarify, the setup I've described will allow you to use your keyboard to play sounds built into whichever software you choose - not the sounds in your keyboard. Likewise, recording vocals or any other audio that requires a mic or line out will require extra hardware. But if you just want to play your keyboard, you don't need to spend much at all.

Have fun making music! :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
Good tip from @tone  - See, you've saved a few quid already  :)

Thumbs up from me for Reaper, have been using it a couple of years now.

There are some amazing free soft synths (VSTI's) out there which should give you an amazing choice of sounds.

Good luck  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
As the others have pointed out there are lots of ways to skin this cat...

To help clarify and assist you in understanding the different options here is my take on your options

First of all the PC spec looks fine for some recording and @tone has identified your keyboard already has MIDI output so they are 2 good ticks in the boxes

MIDI is a special language that is not "sound" but a set of instructions to (i.e. Which key you play, how hard you hit it, how long you hold it for, whether the sustain pedal was pressed etc.)

This means you can play your keyboard as normal and then record the MIDI data, which can then be used by your PC & software to trigger "virtual" instruments (known as "softsynths" or a "VSTi"), which are essential software based MIDI sound generator modules that translate the MIDI data in to sound - the beauty being you can get lots of different sounds so by playing your keyboard you can trigger a piano, organ, strings, brass, drums etc.

To do this you need the lead suggest by TONE and some software (known as a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation)

In your situation the most efficient way to achieve this (and have software that is used by lots of people on this forum so you will get some help getting it all working  ;)) is definitely REAPER, which is essentially free until you want to pay for it

REAPER can also record AUDIO - which will cover the singing, and if you want to record the actual sounds from your old synthesiser

To do this properly (and avoid lots of issues) you really need an "Audio Interface" - which is a box of tricks designed to turn the audio in to digital so it can be recorded in the PC and then from digital back to audio so you can hear it play back

The audio interface will also come with special DRIVERS that will allow your computer to process the audio quickly enough so that you can play along with what you have already recorded

I would echo the recommendation @pompeyjazz has made regarding the FOCUSRITE Scarlett range. You may also want to check out the PRESONUS stuff

To record vocals you would also need a microphone and probably some headphones

This would give you everything you need to do what you want

There is a secret option though...

The old romantic in me would love to support your "anniversary project" so if you wanted to record a really rough version of the song you want to record (e.g. on a phone or voice memo app) I would happily "work up" a version of the song for you - but would obviously understand if you want to do it all yourself
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Thank you guys! You're fantastic!

I haven't got the time tonight to look at all the links and mull over everything you've said (Tuesday is my darts night and I'm out of here in five minutes or so). To be honest, after posting last night (a little drunk I have to admit - it had been a really hard day) I started second-guessing myself and feeling embarrassed of what I'd posted.

But you've eased my worries on that score at least. Thank you.

@pompey... I'm very tempted to take up your offer. I'm not really confident on what I can produce myself (at least at the moment) and, to be honest, I'd love to hear some of my work interpreted by other people. I have the sound of how I write these things in my head but to hear one (the music at least) done by someone who can actually play an instrument would be... beyond fantastic. :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »
Hi @Sterix .Think you might have got crossed wires as to who was offering what. I was advising you to spend money  :) @Boydie made the extremely kind offer and you should seize the opportunity man  :) Hope the darts went well. BTW I am pompeyjazz not pompey, as some long defunct member will now have your message  ;D

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
For a cheap Audio interface, you could look at the Behringer U-Phoria UM2. I have one as a backup (but not as my main interface) and it does an OK job. Certainly good enough to get started. I assume it's cheaper than the Focusrite range (but they are better!)

I got an Allen Midi Keyboard recently and that came with a free copy of Studio One, which is a good DAW.  The keyboard was about £55

Have fun!
Dave

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
Sorry @pompeyjazz peyjazz I was rushing so I misread who belonged to which post. Darts was annoying. Went on at 3-3 in the decider and couldn't hit bull (we play round-the-board on a Manchester Log End board). So I cost us the match.  Story of my season - struggling to finish! :-\

I'm going to have a look at the links now and mull things over.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
Well the good news is... my synth still works! The bad news is... my playing hasn't improved any in the mean time. Still abysmal!  :o

The Reaper program looks interesting and I think I'll go with that (once I've got a cable - my wife says we had one many moons ago but I can't remember and I haven't found it in the myriad of cables I've stockpiled over the years). I had a look at a couple of the videos on the site and it looks fairly easy to use.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
You could try Audacity, its a very basic DAW but it is free and would probably do to start with

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Cheers, Mikey

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
Just to expand on my former reply. Yes, Audacity is free and great for starters. But there are some big no no's as once you commit to a change you can't get it back. Imo go for Reaper. It's free until you feel obliged to pay for it but to be honest that took me about 2 days. :)

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »
I didn't know about no midi in audacity as I've never used it, you could mic up the keyboard though for a basic recording which seems to be what Sterix is trying to do, so it might do the trick on a limited budget.

Cheers, Mikey

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
I have Audacity on my computer but I've never really used it. Only have it on because a customer once had a problem with it and I had no idea how to fix it, so I downloaded it to mess about with the settings without messing her copy up. Never used it since.

Reaper looks good to me. It reminds me a little of an old Dance Ejay I had (may still have somewhere lying around).