konalavadome

All Over Again....new mix.

• 21 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
Not a new song. It's the third one I wrote in fact - 2014. Hope nobody minds. If you do just pass on by.

No inspiration at all at the moment so redoing old stuff which was done very, very badly then. Back then I had only just discovered making music on PC.

It isn't up to date stuff...it's just a song. The lyric is crafted, not 'real' or 'true'. The 'story' is the oldest one.
I think the song is done as a song but suggest away if you don't think so. Maybe I shouldn't have repeated that part after the solo...but I like it. I'm more interested in getting better at the mix, though it'll never be perfect. Not sure about vocal processing...maybe I've just got used to it so it sounds ok to me!?

Funny how we relate to stuff. This brings back Sunday evenings in a pub in the heart of Old England - The Stonor Arms for me - watching old geezers who were probably younger than I am now blowing out music which was dated then and had its real home thousands of miles away.

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/all-over-again

We're gonna do it all over again
We're gonna chase that star
We don't know what that first fiery glow
Might finally portend

We're going through it all over again
We're gonna play that card
We won't be told there might be no pot of gold
Down at the rainbow's end

CHORUS

From one tentative kiss
To unrelenting bliss
From candlelight until the break of day
Will paradise be found
Once the flame dies down
Or is forever just something to say

SOLO

Repeat CHORUS

Looks like we blew it all over again
Looks like our leading car
Will finish last
It took the road too fast
And didn't make the bend

© Ian Osborne
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Hi Ian, I actually really like the style and vibe that this has. At first the vocal processing was a bit offputting but I see what you're trying to achieve. At times it's good to revisit older stuff. It's a lovely song  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »
Yo Visc*unt.  :D

I'm in for this one,it surely swung my pants. Love the authentic old jazzy feel complete with distorted vocals.

It was a delightful listen. Maybe you could dress it up with a slicker production,but you'd run the risk of losing that certain je ne sais quoi.

Thanks for posting it up.  8)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
So glad you gave this song a new lease of life. It's wonderful. I don't think you need to spice up the production. It has a gentle grandeur and authenticity that would potentially be lost if you polished it too much.

Cheers Micky

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Hi Ian,

I'm in the process of re-recording/re-writing my first attempts as well for the same reasons as you. I don't remember the original of this - I think it was before I joined the forum.

I love almost everything about this - you do this genre so beautifully. A lovely arrangement which uses instruments that nobody else on here uses and to very good effect. Lovely, lazy, jazzy feel.

My only problem is with the vocal processing. Were you trying to mimic the sound of an old record played on an old gramophone?  If so, I don't think it quite works. Purely a matter of taste but I love everything else.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
I like this a lot....still tapping my foot.

It begs you to get on the dance floor and do a bit of shadow dancing.

Excellent lyrics and I like the vocal effect too.

Great song.

Sandeep

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
Well I thoroughly enjoyed this mate. It’s great to revisit old material, I do that a fair bit myself. I love the whole jazzy vibe & you did a good job with the effects on the vocal. It all sounds great to me.

However, I did feel like it could have been a minute shorter.

That’s all I’ve got mate. Great stuff! ;D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »
Yeah, this is ace.  Love the 1920s (?) jazzy vibe.  It's a real skill to nail those meandering brass melodies too... they sound pretty authentic (are they synth?  Very good if they are).  I have no idea how you compose something like this... thinking about how all those melodies interweave. 
It's slightly Pythonesque a la "Bright Side of Life" too!
I'm in the camp who'd ditch the vocal effect though.  I don't think you need to overplay the allusion to the era, that's kind of obvious from the song itself.  Not worth dirtying up the sound on a lovely track to hammer home that point.
Really nice work Viscount.  Can't believe you only started writing in 2014 and this was one of the first?!
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Ian, you probably know this already but there is a great vst out there. Izotope vinylizer and you can set it to 1930, increase crackle and dust and electrical hum.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
They don't write em' like this any more! Well apart from your good self 😀

The rolling vibe is superb and all the woodwind lines seem authentic to me and all makes for really pleasant listen.
Melodically there are a few strange moves that surprised my ears but not so much to ruin anything, just enough to keep me interested.
The ending seemed abrupt when it came but that might just on first listen.

Really enjoyable stuff, and few people can do this style of music effectively. Impressive.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:23:55 PM »
Really like this, VC...

I wondered whether the clarinet (?) - which is really excellent - made it harder to keep the vocal melody nailed down? I sometimes wander off if there's another instrument playing any kind of counterpoint thing...sometimes, I strip things back a little for when I'm recording the vocal...seems to help me a little. That might be irrelevant here...but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Has all of your excellent trademark style which I'm a big fan of.

Very cool. Seems to grow in confidence as it tootles along, too...a great listen.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Mike67

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
Really like the song, but I agree with others; why make it low-fi. Let's hear it it it in absolute clarity. Now, may not work, but it'd interesting would be interesting do a song in the 20s style with a modern vibe, synths and all. I'd really love to hear that.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Thanks for your kind indulgence folks.

I wasn't really trying to mimic an old recording though it obviously doesn't sound modern....I wouldn't know how.

I think the verdict is that the vocal processing needs to be tamed a bit. I agree. Could be a bit of vinyl under the opening bit?

Any strange melodic moves are due to a couple of colourful 'jazz' chords in the chorus bit....I'm guessing this is where you mean. There may also be some strange bits where I just didn't hit the right note hard enough though.

I would also be interested doing some of my 'old' songs in a modern style with synths and all Mike but don't know anything about all that.

Thanks for listening all.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Johnnyuk

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »
Hi,
I actually love this!
Like John pointed out the style is just great!
I also like your voice. I think that you should really fall into character for this song even more so than you do already cos if you did that you'd sell the songs message even more so imo.
Very creative!
Johnny :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »
Hi Viscount - I got into this more as it went along. I think the vocal is just a bit too high in the mix so sounds better when surrounded by more tracks. I'd probably think about putting a bit of vinyl / tape sound over the entire mix to glue it all together rather than just parts or just some tracks.

But more importantly, it really swings along authentically. And your now trademark woodwind/horns that sound so real. And when it comes down to it, most importantly it's a good song.