Sexism in the music industry!

• 4 Replies

jessie

• Busker
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
This prob isn't going to be a popular thing to say but it's the truth. The music biz is SO sexist, and I for one, as a female singer songwriter have had enough of it! Why should I have to wear next to nothing to have all eyes on me at a gig? I could play at the same place the next night in my jeans and a t-shirt and no-one takes nearly as much notice! I'm still the same person, still singing the same songs and playing the same guitar.

This really bugs me, all the top female artists just make things worse by wearing practically nothing. Ok, maybe I don't like those female artists, but they're making the most money! So annoying!

Jessie

miffer

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
I think it depends on what you want...

If you're after mainstream sucess then sadly yes it does appear that the industry is obsessed with image. I think girls do get a crap deal in the music world, but then isn't that true of life itself? It seems men are allowed to look like shite and still be considered appealing, wheras women have so much more pressure on them in terms of appearance. It is unfair and horrible, but that's the crap way things have turned out. There is hope for this to change over time, but not necessarily in your lifetime :-[

I say screw it, wear what you want and just make amazing music. If the music is remarkable enough your appearance won't matter.

I think blokes at gigs do tend to pay more attention to girls who are scantily clad, but I suppose that's in their programming. It could be argued that blokes watching your gig because of your appearance is worse than playing to an empty room. I dunno though, it seems it's the programming of humanity that's at fault here, and I'm not sure there's much we can do about that!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:04:27 AM by miffer »

Guy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
what's wrong with being sexy? :p

haha I know what you mean, but not all successful women artists are naked or near to it.  Look at Regina Spektor, Martha Wainwright or Bjork.  Although I think the reason Bjork has never gone naked is that she's not actually human!  She has scales instead of skin  ;D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
Haha @Guy! Loving the Spinal Tap reference there!

I think you have a point, as does Jessie.  Yes, there are a lot of women who use their bodies to sell their music. Well, I say 'their' music, but it's usually written for them.  Most of the female songwriters I like wouldn't dream of showing their bits and bobs: Emiliana Torrini, Laura Marling, Kate Bush, KD Lang.  All the best ones wear proper clothes!
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
well I guess this relates, in part, to your post about the end of the major record labels too!