konalavadome

February SOTM winner!

• 19 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
Hi all, congrats to Neil and Vintage great work and well deserved! Thanks to Redrhodie for running it!
Well done
Cheers
Jamie

Katie Wilson

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
  Congratulations guys xxx

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
Nice job Neil and Vintage! Well done Lynn too.

In order to stop the tumbleweed becoming too deafening, I'll volunteer for hosting the March one!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
Nice job Neil and Vintage! Well done Lynn too.

In order to stop the tumbleweed becoming too deafening, I'll volunteer for hosting the March one!
Good on ya Adam  ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Well here's my half of the story:

How was it written: the lyrics just inspired me to a classic singer singer writer feel. I sat at my piano and felt a Elton/randy Newman viibe. Start in C, ascending chords, simple melody and went from there. Repeat and then descending chords to resolve via G to C. Verse done. Then to chorus,?worked up to the Am after pause, up to the C, hang on the D major,  then descending chords till I get to the inverted C and stuff. I don't think the basic tune took long to write, I probably had the core done in 45 mins and then just played it over and over again to refine it over the next few days and did a quick video recording.

How recorded: In Cakewalk (RIP :-( . Got Ezydrummer 2 and worked out midi song structure. I do remember putting down a guide vocals, bass and piano and then having to change the key, redo everything and then put down the jangly Vox sounding guitar. Sounding like a good demo I sent to Vintage. Then refined the playing and spent a fair bit of time in the strings, second guitars and bv's. Then lastly redid the main vocals quite a few times. So I gues there maybe 10 versions/ mixes over period Dec and Jan. Mix will have included various fx from Tracks, Waves and Ezymix and mastered with Ozone.

I checked back with Vintage again when it was pretty much done.

Background: we'll tell the truth I had coverted writing to the lyrics for a long while and whilst talking about some others I asked and he said yes.

Anything special: I really like the 3rd verse where I take to a 5th above the main key and manage to get it back again with the guitars and drums. I don't know this self critique isn't easy but for me the whole thing, the lyrics. the song, recording including vocals all seemed to gel. :-)

So that's how I remember it. I have to say I don't really analyse and consciously think like this, I've been writing and recording for so long ( nearly 40 years ) its instinctive, so interesting to reflect.

Hope this is of some interest, but without those lyrics...

:-)
Neil

I really dig this idea, like a Winners speech, and very enlightening, thanks for this.

cpm