Soundcloud question

• 5 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:29:50 AM »
Hi folks, I've not had a song out for several weeks and I've noticed my daily plays on Soundcloud are going down - not that they are particularly ever fantastic anyway.

But anyway, everyday I am followed by two or three more people, but looking in stats they obviously haven't listened to any of my tunes.

I'm guessing they will do this so I might follow back. But what's the point if I don't listen to their songs and they don't listen to mine. I'm not following back anymore unless I think they are real listeners.

Any thoughts anyone? Cheers.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
Hi

I`ve noticed that in the past few months, they just like a track but don`t listen. They also have posted no tracks but have many followers and follow many people.  Some (companies) make it explicit you can `buy` followers, others are individuals, but imo they are out for your money too.

Baz

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:23:32 AM »
Cheers Baz.

OK so I posted a new song last night. Normally I get just a few plays a day, with a few comments and likes. By ten mins ago I had 15 plays, one comment and a couple of legit likes for this new one.

Then just checked my stats and 100 extra plays have suddenly gone in. Obviously some bot or spam technique. I don't want those 'plays' as it makes it seem I am getting a very poor play to like/comment ratio.

Has anyone else seen this recently. Can anything be done?

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »
Hi

I`ve never known this to happen. Maybe you`re on an above basic account. I`m on Pro Plan, can`t recall how much it costs,but it certainly doesn`t `add` plays. My plays are genuine and usually on request,rather get ONE genuine listen then tens to hundreds that aren`t.  I read that latest big star Lewis Capaldi was discovered through Soundcloud,so as long as your getting listens from people in the industry--who cares? I`ve had 12 plus listens from people in the industry in the past month.  Soundcloud seems to be full of people NOT listening to music.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »
@MichaelA

Yo Michael,Soundcloud has it's share of spammers and follower collectors,along with the fools who pay for likes and plays. I regularly come across posters who are showing 100k plays,yet few of those supposed listeners bothered to leave a comment. I purposely won't follow those people,nor the follower collectors who follow you to get you to follow them,then after a while they unfollow you. It's all a bit sad and nothing to do with music.

Regarding your daily plays going down Michael,it's all dependant on the time you can spend on the cloud. When you find that core of s/c members who are into sharing their music and listening to the music of others,then not only will your listening and commenting be returned to you,but also the collaborations door will also be opened. Much fun to be had! All this must be tempered with the time you have free,of course. It's a balance.

After a while,you get a feel for those who are not using the platform as you would do and in turn you learn to spot the genuine article.

Following someone is the last thing I do in the process,quite often I'll have commented and liked the music of others long before I follow them.

Hope some of this rubbish helps Michael.  ;D

Davy.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »
Thanks again @devilhoned , that's interesting that you have got industry people listening now and again. Good luck with it!

Thanks for your detailed response Davy @Skub. I like your thinking on whether to follow or not! I've also noticed this follow/unfollow trick, which is quite pathetic, and makes me feel like I don't really understand social media at all! Oh well...But yeah, loads of good advice in your post from one who is doing very well on there. Might also be down to your prolific output of quality sounds too, of course!  ;)