Nothing Can Stop Me

• 17 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »
Hey All,

Been a very long time since i've posted something here. Still been writing furiously, mostly commercial stuff but have a song I really don't know what to do with but really quite like and would love to hear what people think of it and where it might fit. I did have a notion of using it as the starting point for a musical (if i have a the patience).

It tries to capture the invincibility of youth, when you feel all things are possible.

A bit of a rough vocal, I never got round to redoing but that ghost vocal you do first time always has some gritty magic doesn't it?

Tom.

---------

Nothing Can Stop Me

They say you gotta wait your turn
You watch and you learn
Save what you earn

They say you gotta take you time
Wait there in line
For your moment to shine

But I believe
That you and me
We’re princes and kings

I'm one in a million, baby
And nothing can stop me
At the foot of the mountain I may bet
But nothing can stop me

They say you gotta earn respect
Pay all your dues
Walk a mile in their shoes

They say you lack experience
Try to make you feel small
Just ignore them all

I’ll rise above the cynics
Slip these shackles and fly

I'm one in a million, baby
And nothing can stop me
At the foot of the mountain I may bet
But nothing can stop me

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Love this, Tom.

I've really missed your songs around here...I don't want to gush too much about how highly I rate you...but I think this is just fantastic. This reminded me a lot of Roddy Frame who I'm a huge fan of. The sounds are all stellar and all working together to deliver a super pop song. Smart lyrics too.

I think you're peerless.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Hi Tom, really good to see you back. "Emily" is still one of my favourite forum songs ever. I though that you might be having a crack at some commercial stuff, how's that going ?

This is great. Your melodies are always superb. The whole arrangement works very well together and it's catchy as hell. I see what you're saying about the vocal but I think it works.

Like I say, glad you're back  :)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:47:55 PM »
Paul 'n' Pompey, thanks for the kind comments. Gonna try and hang around and make a contribution to the community if I can.
Great to see so many people still hard at work doing great things.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
A complete song.... Really uplifting right from the beginning you know that the tune is going to make you happy and leave you in a good place.

Sung really well, and lyrics are  good too.

Love the strings in the background👏👏👏

Great production too....but it is an abrupt ending?

Like this lots

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Yo Tom.

Good to hear from ya man,I hope all is well with ya,I too fondly recall 'Emily'.  :)

It's a fine song,this one and all polished on the production front. The only thing I have is the ending sounds like you didn't know what to do with it,it's a bit inconclusive.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Hi Tom,
I think you have a really good song here. :)
You have a great voice too!
When your chorus kicks in i would record two more vocals of you singing the chorus and sit them way back in the mix. Raise the faders up on those two extra vocals just enough not to get in the way of your lead vocal. But enough too enhance it. This will make your chorus vocal stand out and because it is two extra lead vocals parts sat back in the mix like this you will get a warm natural fuller vocal sound that lets the listener know this is the chorus etc...

Once you get your two extra vocals recorded ( if you do try this approach) then you need to go right to those wav files and slide one forward ever so slightly and one backward ever so slightly. This will make them separate from the lead vocal so you get this wider vocal radio sound. Remember to pan them about 40% either side of the lead vocal or more, experiment with that until you find what works best for you and your song etc.
Great stuff Tom!
Johnny :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:47:22 PM by Johnnyuk »

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »
Hello mate!

Great to have you back! This is another fab arrangement. Really good stuff, in my opinion it just needs some backing vocals to lift it a bit in the chorus.

Hope that helps and best of luck with the commercial stuff.  ;D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »
Hi, I've never heard your stuff before but that was really good, uplifting.  I found the production and full-on jangly opening captured my attention straight away.  I love a chorus that just flies and this one certainly did that.

I only have one tiny nit and possibly it's an outdated non-PC sexist or homophobic nit! It's about the lines...

You and me
We're princes and kings
I'm one in a million baby

It caught me out because princes and kings are male, and I tend to think of "baby" as being used towards a female, so I got confused about who's talking to who.  I guess there's no reason at all why a guy can't call another guy "baby" though, so it's all cool... just thought I should register that it confused me.

What an ace song though, with real spirit to it... no cynicism, just a lovely feel good track - and really enjoyed that wet-sounding guitar that comes in with the bridge, plus the ascending strings at the end - you give us little treats all the way through.  I'll have to check out "Emily".
It's all too beautiful.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
Nice to hear from you again Tom.

Slick arrangement and the main motif is simple but wonderfully effective for basically two notes....one of those hooks that gets you right from the off and doesn't let go....or get tired.

Wish I could get a fully finished vocal as good as your rough one!

What's that plucky sound I can hear near the start? Love the guitar when it comes in.

One thing that caught me out was the....er...elision of 'cynics slip'...maybe a little bit more of a pause there between those two words....

Like the repeated verse beginnings 'they say'...gives nice cohesion to have this repeat especially with the rhyme.

Catchy, classy and thoroughly appealing.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

sarahlawrence17

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:14:14 AM »
Oh wow, please write a musical! I can so see this as a big musical number by a male lead.

You really nailed the uplifting feel you were going for. I feel like this will be stuck in my head all day. I'll have to go find the legendary "Emily". :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »
Hey Tom.

This has magic about it alright! I'm with you on the ghost vocals. Sometimes there s something special about that first take that you can not quite repeat! I echo everyone else's sentiments. I would add that the song ends a little lamely. At 2.50 one of the backing syths drops away which felt to my ears a hole was left in the song and it kind of limps to a conclusion from there. Try and end without a fadeout at around 3.13. Until 2.50 the song is immense.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:48:17 PM by mickyplankton »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »
Thanks all for the kind comments. Seems like if I go back to this one I need to:

1. Add some backing vocals or double tracking.
2. Expand the ending somewhat to make it less abrupt.

I agree with all the constructive comments guys and really appreciate them. You folks know your sh*t!

What's that plucky sound I can hear near the start? Love the guitar when it comes in.
That's a kalimba, which has been all over pop music for a few years.

I only have one tiny nit and possibly it's an outdated non-PC sexist or homophobic nit! It's about the lines...

You and me
We're princes and kings
I'm one in a million baby

It caught me out because princes and kings are male, and I tend to think of "baby" as being used towards a female, so I got confused about who's talking to who.  I guess there's no reason at all why a guy can't call another guy "baby" though, so it's all cool... just thought I should register that it confused me.
Well spotted there, I thought the same thing when I wrote it. I loved the flow of Princes and Kings but already had the "baby" in the chorus. But thought it could be a guy singing to a guy and that's fine. Myself I'm not gay to I guess I should be careful trying to write from that perspective but I felt it was OK for me to do so in this case.

Glad "Emily" has such a legendary status 😀 Have to keep trying to get to that level always. I thought this one shared some DNA with Emily maybe.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
I really like this good voice , good lyrics. - really well produced - good melody - good beginning - I'm trying to find a fault but I can't .

Made me feel reminiscing

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
What a stellar track Tom, but I expect nothing less from you  :) You always manage to pull off such catchy melodies and this song is no exception 8)
I think it would make a great intro song to a musical, so I hope you do have the patience  :P
I know what you mean about 1st track vocals having a grit and rawness that's hard to duplicate  :o
Ditto and 'Emily' and what's already been suggested for this song  :) CS