Mental illness & creativity.

• 4 Replies

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
After reading another thread on this forum in the review section I saw that domstone86 mentioned he's bipolar type 2. Didn't want to distract from the reviewing on that thread so I thought I'd post here.

I'm also bipolar type two, and find it impacts upon my writing a massive amount. I mainly write when hypomanic, and almost never write when I'm depressed. Although I never really talk about bipolar in lyrics, I sometimes feel that the drive I sometimes have to write songs, or even the turmoil I sometimes feel inspires me a bit.

There are numerous studies linking mainly Schizophrenia and Bipolar with creativity. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has struggled with any of these issues, and if they've found it helpful, or counter productive to their writing.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
Sorry to hear you two guys have that, good days and bad i'm sure
Learner guitarist

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
I am sure there is a connection Scorpio, what a beautiful release you and Dom have ;D

All my friends are shocked when they hear my music - I am a really upbeat guy, having a laugh , like a good wind up

Then I play them my sad songs are they are like WTF ???

I suppose although I am not clinically depressed I do write a lot when I am alone & insecure and it is a good release from these demons

I know it wasn't meant I be funny but I am in knots at Jim's (literal?) comment  :D

Anyway keep writing Scorpio  :D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
I think your state of mind and experience of yourself does have a huge impact on the way we write. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the experience of mental illness makes you more aware of your emotional state, and probably increases the need to express yourself.

I can't pretend to know how it feels to have bi-polar syndrome, but I've got my own demons - and I'm pretty sure I'd have no creative impulse to speak of if I wasn't in conflict within myself. Nothing creates energy and inertia like conflict. Double-edged sword, though, innit? :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Artlaurent88

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
Check out Touched with Fire by Kay Redfield Jamison. It's all about the link between bipolar disorder and creativity.