konalavadome

Big fat zero

• 21 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
I assumed the title of my post would indicate that although I was serious about the issue I had my tongue in my cheek and have no intention of really 'launching' into anyone or giving them a 'big fat zero'. (makes cowardly retraction to avoid being branded a coward)

@Boydie feedback form would go a long way to helping the issue and give reviewers specific 'safe' areas. (crawls to admin)

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
Lol - no worries @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

I do know what you meant

Due to the subjective nature of songwriting I am against a formal scoring system (although I appreciate the benefits I feel it has more potential to cause harm)

I am also against a general points/karma system for similar reasons - and I feel points systems can get very political

I do agree that more info should be given by the OP so will try to implement some better "guidance" on making posts and giving critiques

This will take time to implement but is now "on the list"  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Johnnyuk

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »
Hi,
I was brought up to always tell the truth. So that is what i do.
I've not been on this forum long cos i am a newbie and i know that my honesty has already upset one person sadly. :(
But alas i will continue to tell the truth cos it matters.
Johnny :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
@Johnnyuk I think there's nothing wrong with that, though the way we do it is important - I think we should give feedback in a way that we'd be fine with receiving, and also present it as a personal opinion - our "honesty" is still our opinion and there isn't really such thing in this game as "the truth"... (IMHO!)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
Hello.  Been away for a bit (new job), plus the muse has completely shipped out recently. Hope you're all good.
Personally I love the idea of an anonymous 'score' - not to replace, but to sit alongside, the comments.  Otherwise it's really hard to judge objectively amongst all the politeness if your song is really better than the last one you posted.  I'd find it really motivational if I got a 6 then a 7 then an 8 etc.  I wouldn't want it to compete with other posters, but to compete with myself if you know what I mean.

Reverbnation offer a "Crowd Review" option, which allows you to get anonomous, but detailed, reviews of a song. You get a 4 page report, including an overall score. If you score above a certain level, they feature you on their home page for a while. It costs about $12 per song. I have used it in the past, but found that, because you can't target specific deomgraphics, the results are not great. ( Incidentally, my song "Notice Me (Gothic), which won the December Song of the Month here, was one of my lowest rated Crowd Reviews!!!!!!!)

Cheers, Kevin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 03:25:34 PM »
Hi All, its been a while since this subject came up! I suspect if I went back I could post the same answer I gave last time!
My take is, the vast majority of us are amateurs (some more gifted than others) and we do this for fun and enjoyment. When you start out you are full of positivity towards your new found fledgling career as a World famous songwriter and producer. Only to realise when you come into contact with experienced people on the forum that you have a lot to learn. If you were to be 'battered' in a review at this stage it would have a really bad impact on your progression/development. So I try to find the positives in the song and if I have sufficient knowledge to comments on something that is wrong, I will do that too. You have to be honest but should be able to read what stage of development a songwriter is at and temper your criticism. The same goes for their playing and singing. I think most people on this forum do try to be constructive and focus on the positives, and occasionally you'll get some idiot who'll crash in and cause consternation, but they tend to be short lived. I've learned a lot from being on this forum. When I listen to my early songs I can see the development and that is largely due to little improvements all along the way. An invaluable resource in my mind!
Mt threepence worth!
Cheers
Jamie

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
Hi All, its been a while since this subject came up! I suspect if I went back I could post the same answer I gave last time!
My take is, the vast majority of us are amateurs (some more gifted than others) and we do this for fun and enjoyment. When you start out you are full of positivity towards your new found fledgling career as a World famous songwriter and producer. Only to realise when you come into contact with experienced people on the forum that you have a lot to learn. If you were to be 'battered' in a review at this stage it would have a really bad impact on your progression/development. So I try to find the positives in the song and if I have sufficient knowledge to comments on something that is wrong, I will do that too. You have to be honest but should be able to read what stage of development a songwriter is at and temper your criticism. The same goes for their playing and singing. I think most people on this forum do try to be constructive and focus on the positives, and occasionally you'll get some idiot who'll crash in and cause consternation, but they tend to be short lived. I've learned a lot from being on this forum. When I listen to my early songs I can see the development and that is largely due to little improvements all along the way. An invaluable resource in my mind!
Mt threepence worth!
Cheers
Jamie

Hear hear to all that - perfect common sense!