To rhyme or not to rhyme?

• 26 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
By the way what rhymes with "options"?!

Umm, adoptions, concoctions, auctions, top guns...I'll bet there are lots of rhymes and near rhymes for this one. Try rhymezone. I use that one a lot.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:34 AM »
What rhymes with "Oranges" ?

I'm limited to four inches.
I'm sorry.

But, as to rhyming... I don't really think about it. The song and the flow of the lyric kinda dictates the the rhyming pattern and, whether or not the song rhymes at all.
Sometimes I like to use a rhyme as an emphasis -- where there are no rhymes in the song at all, and then, there is, all of a sudden, a rhyme. It draws attention to those lines/words and helps them to stand out. Nice way to really help to get across your main points, if you can do it.
Or, maybe just to mix it up a little and add some phonetic interest.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
I see what you did there Pops. ;)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
By the way what rhymes with "options"?!

Umm, adoptions, concoctions, auctions, top guns...I'll bet there are lots of rhymes and near rhymes for this one. Try rhymezone. I use that one a lot.

OK, OK, though not sure there are any "true" rhymes... ;-) (even adoptions uses the same word so I can't allow it!). I tend to go to Wikirhymer which at least gets out of the box and into this sort of area. Rhymezone is maybe even better, I agree.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
@adamfarr , using your criteria, then, it is not possible to have a "true" rhyme for any word ending in "-tions or -sions". Using "options", to be a true rhyme, it would have to have the syllables "op" and "tions" at the end. That puts the word "options" in it, and if that's disqualified, there are no other, ummm, options. You can't have the "options" sound without ending with "-options". Would it be permissible if it were spelled differently? Say, if there was a word that ended with "awpsions"?

By the way, I think "noxious" would work for a close rhyme.... Or "obnoxious" ;D (say, if you want a word to describe me....)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
@CaliaMoko I actually think it's true that options doesn't have any true rhymes. Adoptions is the only real possibility I can locate. I think it's just an accident of language rather than anything structural - there are a zillion for -otions -ations etc. and there just don't happen to be any poptions, moptions or loptions...

In my Camp America lyric I was playing with the concept of an "airport of options" but couldn't make it fit with anything sensible. Maybe oceans...

I suppose the real question is (@Johnnyuk) should I have persevered with that thought and the rhyme be darned?!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
@adamfarr : The structural part is that "options" happens to be a word already, and "otions" isn't. It's partly because "options" starts with a vowel, not a consonant. If "doptions" was a word, then "adoptions" would be cheating. You change the rhyming word, usually, by changing the consonants. Since "options" doesn't start with a consonant, there's no way to rhyme by changing it. Except to add one. Like "adoptions".

Johnnyuk

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:03:54 PM by Johnnyuk »

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
Hi Johnny!

I agree with you that one should not let the search for rhymes become the first priority.
On the other hand the meaning of a line might be explored in depth in search of a good last word.
I don't see writing lyrics as a crossword puzzle. I see it as turning ideas and emotions into words in a somewhat appealing fashion.

Martin

Johnnyuk

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:37 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:04:11 PM by Johnnyuk »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
But I want it all! I want to see the girl (boy, person), I stop the car, we get to know each other, she takes me to a party, I meet her friends, we chat, we have some drinks, some deep conversations, some of them want to come with me, some of them don’t (and some of them definitely shouldn’t!), we get back in the car, we continue on towards the destination, but it’s been a lovely, memorable, and unique journey that my friends want to hear me tell them about again and again...

(Obviously this is mostly in my dreams, literally and figuratively. I do *try* eventually to get to the destination though!)

Mike67

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
I wouldn't get too bogged down in the purity of the message.  Sometimes  just playing with rhymes and words can take you somewhere unexpected, but ultimately satisfying. I wouldn't rule anything out. I just like playing with words.