konalavadome

When you make a mistake!

• 11 Replies

Johnnyuk

« on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:05:21 PM by Johnnyuk »

Katie Wilson

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »
Good post - it is hard sometimes to take criticism - it might make you think - no I like it how it is or you might think actually they've got s point - I think that on here nobody is here to pull people's work apart but sometimes a new angle is needed xxx

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:29 PM »
Yes. Good points raised. I think generally people will be objective with their reviews and every day is a learning day  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
To be honest, I love it when people are ruthless with my stuff. Not mean or nasty, mind you, but ruthless. It gives me the impression they really thought about it and truly believe it could be better if I work on it a little more. I don't always agree with criticisms, but I really like getting them.

And I try to be honest and kind when I review others. I always try to point out what I like and what I think might be able to be improved, keeping in mind I might be missing the point sometimes. I always try to remember to acknowledge it's my opinion and could be wrong. Sometimes I forget.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
Good post!

I'm totally lost when it comes to my music. I have no grasp of quality. I see feedback as help finding the good parts in what I write, not ruining something perfect. I record no albums and play no gigs coz I'm still learning. If the feedback is frank and somewhat supportive it might help me understand how to get better.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:21 AM »
Good post mate!! 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
Well, I've accepted some feedback to the point of remixing and reposting the "fixed" version, and no one listens to the new one. At least that's been my experience a few times. If you look on my or Keith's (my collaboration partner) SoundClouds, you can see a few songs there multiple times. In every case, the original version has way more plays. It's kind of rude when someone wants you to fix a problem, and you do it, post it, and they don't comment on it, isn't it? So after it happens a few times, you learn to use the feedback in your next song, rather than going back to fix something no one really cares about anymore. My point is, while it may look like the feedback isn't appreciated if they didn't appear to take your advice, maybe they have, and it's in the next song.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »
Hi Johnny

I guess it rather depends on why one joins the forum, and what the definition of a mistake is.

I'm like Vicki, I really relish my work being scrutinised, and appreciate blunt, honest criticisms, it proves that the person really listened to it, and also they have clear enough ideas to pass comment.

To me a mistake is out of tune singing, out of time drums, something that is obvious and could be fixed beforehand. If I sing out of tune then I shouldn't be surprised if you guys say 'you sing out of tune'.
If you don't know your singing out of tune, then that's another matter...

Sloppiness is not a mistake but tardy-ness - harmonies where the words don't start and finish together, background noise, a mis-struck string. It's all to easy to say after recording a take, 'well that was the best so far' and well it might be but it's not the best it could be, is it? , if your honest with yourself...

Sometimes it's not down to sloppiness at all, but just not sure how to fix it on a computer, how to use Punch In/Out, or a take manager, or how to comp multiple takes, automation to reduce the obvious-ness.?

There other area is more subtle, creative finesse/sculpting: Should the cymbals be bashed so long? would'nt it be better to have not so much compression on the vocal, a Rhodes would sound better than a Whirly, putting in Backing Vocals at points in the verse might add texture.

So lets say 20 different people comment on a song, you implement every idea, then as @redrhodie  says, do you then put it up again for comment, maybe you get 20 more different people making more comments, and after all that you end up not liking the vibe of the song at all.

I'm cool to receive any criticism, and if mistakes are found, then I'm guilty as charged, if sloppiness is found then I can make a judgement, and regarding creative ideas, then I'll certainly consider them but won't always change a song.

But...It also works the other way, sometimes my comments are very specific, a hair more verb, or the LVox could come up a tad, these are completely subjective, but do I have the nerve to say , 'That's just out of tune' yes I do, but I try and offer some advice at the same time as to how it can be resolved.

At the end of the day, your ears hear differently to mine, your taste is different to mine, I know what I wanted from the song. I always try to listen to the songs of the folk that listen to mine, to see if there is any similarities.

If your here to make a load of cash, then seriously think of it as a day job, your boss are the people who will be parting with their cash, ask yourself ' Would you really pay £1' for that?

I'm here to improve, to help others improve and to enjoy listening to your songs, some are just fantastic, really really top drawer.

cpm

Johnnyuk

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:05:44 PM by Johnnyuk »

Johnnyuk

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:05:55 PM by Johnnyuk »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
100% right Johnny

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
The "constructively and humbly expressed honest opinion" surely, not the "brutal truth"... ;-)