konalavadome

This isn't finished, but why? 'She Shook Me Cold'

• 26 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Thanks Johnny, great ideas, really appreciate it.

sounds great

cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
Heres my reworked v4

New rythym guitars, added BVox, removed some stuff, new solos.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/she-shook-me-cold-v4

Let me know what you think

cpm

Marcus Deso

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
Good track man!!  Getting an early Stranglers mixed with FYC vibe.

Only to reiterate what others have said - some of the tracks need more defination and vocal definitely needs lifted out -

I have this on a quick link about mixing but maybe you'll get something out of it:

"Ok, once you're ready to start mixing, try this method: Bring up just your vocal track till it's at a comfortable loudness level. Now, slowly start bringing up the other tracks, one at a time. As you bring up each track, stay focused on the sound of her vocal track. If you bring up a track that seems to make her voice sound a little softer, shut the fader off for that track and go on to the next track, always listening to the vocal track as your reference, killing any track that makes her voice sound softer.

After you've gone thru all the tracks, you'll probably have 3 to 5 tracks shut off. Those are your problem tracks. You'll hafta eq, pan, compress, or reverb them, or leave them off altogether.

But listen closely to what you currently have going. Do you "REALLY" need "all" of those 5 missing tracks in the mix? Does the mix sound stronger without them? On the tracks you absolutely hafta have, put them where they don't cover the vocals, using any of the tools mentioned above. Then take about an hour break, get out of the studio, and come back later and listen to what you have. If you're satisfied, shut everything down, leaving all your settings in place.

Come back tomorrow and listen to it again. Tweak till you're happy, shut down, and repeat again the next day. The day you walk in and you're happy with what you did last night, is the day you have a finished mix. "

link: http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mixing-techniques/some-mixing-tips-329024/

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »
Good track man!!  Getting an early Stranglers mixed with FYC vibe.

Only to reiterate what others have said - some of the tracks need more defination and vocal definitely needs lifted out -

I have this on a quick link about mixing but maybe you'll get something out of it:

"Ok, once you're ready to start mixing, try this method: Bring up just your vocal track till it's at a comfortable loudness level. Now, slowly start bringing up the other tracks, one at a time. As you bring up each track, stay focused on the sound of her vocal track. If you bring up a track that seems to make her voice sound a little softer, shut the fader off for that track and go on to the next track, always listening to the vocal track as your reference, killing any track that makes her voice sound softer.

After you've gone thru all the tracks, you'll probably have 3 to 5 tracks shut off. Those are your problem tracks. You'll hafta eq, pan, compress, or reverb them, or leave them off altogether.

But listen closely to what you currently have going. Do you "REALLY" need "all" of those 5 missing tracks in the mix? Does the mix sound stronger without them? On the tracks you absolutely hafta have, put them where they don't cover the vocals, using any of the tools mentioned above. Then take about an hour break, get out of the studio, and come back later and listen to what you have. If you're satisfied, shut everything down, leaving all your settings in place.

Come back tomorrow and listen to it again. Tweak till you're happy, shut down, and repeat again the next day. The day you walk in and you're happy with what you did last night, is the day you have a finished mix. "

link: http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mixing-techniques/some-mixing-tips-329024/

Hi marcus, thanks for taking the time to listen, glad you like it, great tips, I'll run through them to see where it takes me.

Regards

cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »
I remixed it last week a couple of times.

and just been listening to it again, and a few things leap out at me now.

The rhythm guitars seem limp compared to what I wanted

1. A double Lead Vox in the Chorus
2. Less busy bass line in the Verse.
3. Not sure about the solos,
4. Definitely need a more gentle outro.

cpm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:43:43 AM by cowparsleyman »

Johnnyuk

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 08:32:41 PM »
I remixed it last week a couple of times.

and just been listening to it again, and a few things leap out at me now.

The rhythm guitars seem limp compared to what I wanted

1. A double Lead Vox in the Chorus
2. Less busy bass line in the Verse.
3. Not sure about the solos,
4. Definitely need a more gentle outro.

cpm

You are soon gonna be very very busy Rich! Cos i have needs here for backing vocals from you and i will pull them out of you like a dentist pulls teeth out if i have too!
Johnny :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
That's cool Johnny, just let me know what you want me to do.

cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
A strange thing happened today, I listened to the original version and that sounded perfect in the earbuds on the phone whilst walking to work, absolutely how I wanted it. Then I listened to the remix 1 version, then the vox sounded better balanced, so the sweet spot is somewhere in between, so close yet so far...

cpm

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
Hi CPM,

After just replying to your question about song titles I came to this area and saw this song. So I thought I'd have a listen. Strangely, it's the kind of tempo I expected from the title. :p

I haven't read (bar a few sentences) any of the previous posts (being new I'm having to skip a load of stuff to catch up) my first thoughts are I like the song but the vocals seem a little drowned out. They need a bit more oomph in parts, and the guitar a little quieter in others. Although I've only heard it the once so my perception may be a little ill-informed. I'll have to have a few more listens and see if it's just me.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »
Hi CPM,

After just replying to your question about song titles I came to this area and saw this song. So I thought I'd have a listen. Strangely, it's the kind of tempo I expected from the title. :p

I haven't read (bar a few sentences) any of the previous posts (being new I'm having to skip a load of stuff to catch up) my first thoughts are I like the song but the vocals seem a little drowned out. They need a bit more oomph in parts, and the guitar a little quieter in others. Although I've only heard it the once so my perception may be a little ill-informed. I'll have to have a few more listens and see if it's just me.

Hi Sterix,

Thanks for the feedback from the other post, really appreciate your listen.

You're right about the levels, many of the other posts said the same, it's just on earbuds it's sounds with a couple of dB right...it needs a remix with the non LVox lowered, as the LVox is at 0db, a dangerous place to be in a  mix.

Yeah my voice isn't right for the genre, if you know anyone who can nail this sort of thing, they are welcome to have a shot.

So I'll probably do it next week.

I'm still not convinced it's a good song though...This version is better than the demo version, but it still doesn't set me on fire.

Keep warm this weekend, and keep cool (musically)

cpm

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »
I had a couple of listens earlier today to the two versions, and again just now.  I liked the song but couldn't quickly sum up what I thought was right and wrong with it.  The descending melody line of the verse with the guitar works well, I think, and the chorus melody is good, so definitely worth working on.

I like the punky vibe that it has but I know what you (and others mean) about not being sure about it.
The second mix is tidier, but loses some of the energy, but the first was a bit too messy. Hard one to fix!!

Great guitar playing with the kind of spaced out feel in the solos.
I think the bass was a little too much - peddling behind the chords changes on a held note the first time through the chorus and then played high up ( I'm a bass player so I'd hate to say play less, but maybe different!) - I definitely think a Stranglers influenced bass line would go well, but maybe a bit more constrained.

I wonder if "dirtier" vocals would fit in better - as in a bit more edgy/shouty delivery?

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit messy!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
I had a couple of listens earlier today to the two versions, and again just now.  I liked the song but couldn't quickly sum up what I thought was right and wrong with it.  The descending melody line of the verse with the guitar works well, I think, and the chorus melody is good, so definitely worth working on.

I like the punky vibe that it has but I know what you (and others mean) about not being sure about it.
The second mix is tidier, but loses some of the energy, but the first was a bit too messy. Hard one to fix!!

Great guitar playing with the kind of spaced out feel in the solos.
I think the bass was a little too much - peddling behind the chords changes on a held note the first time through the chorus and then played high up ( I'm a bass player so I'd hate to say play less, but maybe different!) - I definitely think a Stranglers influenced bass line would go well, but maybe a bit more constrained.

I wonder if "dirtier" vocals would fit in better - as in a bit more edgy/shouty delivery?

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit messy!

Whato Das,

Thanks for the listen and the detailed review, you see there is something missing, hence my post here, I did put some dirt on the orignal verison, and It seems to sit better int he mix, also the non lead vox are lower in the mix.

I'll re listen with respect to your comments about the bass line, I'll try as Stranglers type riff.

Thanks very much indeed, that's what I need.

cpm

You think like me