How important is a Song Title?

• 13 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
Just a quickie here, How important is a songs title to you?

Should it be relevant to the song, should it make you smile, wonder about how it sounds, should it make you want to hear it?

Should it be Short, Long, Cryptic?

Here's a few of mine

A is for Zebra, (This has absolutely nothing to do with the song, but I like the way it sounded)
588 (was how much my daughter owed me at the time)
56 56 [96 (I'd just purchased some 56 strat pickups, the [96 was a typo! )
Together (Completely relevent to the song and one of the words in the Chorus)

Here's a couple you may know
Bohemian Rhapsody - What's that got to do with the song?
Phenomenom Compulsion - Summed up the raw energy and improv. of this song perfectly.

Most pop songs are relevent to the words in it.

love to hear what you think

cpm

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:08:59 AM by cowparsleyman »

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
Don't have any answer in particular about the importance of song titles, just to say that Bohemian Rhapsody is somewhat relevant to the song.

A 'rhapsody' is a piece of music in 1 movement yet episodic. Thats pretty much what that song is. I think 'Bohemian' was meant to represent that the song was intended (and probably succeeded at) to be outside the 'norms' of rock music - it is unconventional.
So yeah, the title doesnt necessarily reflect the lyrics, but it reflects the song, no doubt.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »
I think it is important. For a lot of people, especially in the age of the internet, it's the first impression they have of a song. I know I am often compelled to listen to a song if I think the title is cool or interesting, and am constantly put off by pretentious, boring, or over complicated song titles. Same with albums.

I think the Bohemian in Bohemian Rhapsody is also referring to the narrator. He is the bohemian.

This is particularly relevant for me at the moment, because for the 80s inspired EP I am working on right now I am deliberately coming up with the titles before writing the songs.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi Jack

How interesting, thanks for the response

cpm

Laptop Philharmonic

• Busker
    • laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:06 PM »
I think it is important. For a lot of people, especially in the age of the internet, it's the first impression they have of a song.

Think jacksimmons here has nailed it.

I always want to give my songs a name that isn't in the lyrics, unless there's one line that really does genuinely sum up what the song is about, or is particularly eye-catching or what have you.
Search "Laptop Philharmonic" on Spotify, iTunes etc. or visit:
laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks Jack and Laptop Philharmonic.

I think you 2 posts say it all...

cpm

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
I can say from experience that song titles definitely affect my preconceptions of a song and whether or not I want to listen to it – especially if it’s by an artist I’ve never heard of before. but even with some that I do know but am maybe "meh" about.

But there’s no formula for this – I just read the title and think, “Yeah, that sounds like it may be worth listening to”, or I’ll think, “Nah, don’t think I’m gonna like that vibe”. It doesn’t make a difference if it’s a clever title or more mundane – both have put me off at times. Sometimes I think it’s partly the mood I’m…

When I’m in one of my YouTube go-with-the-flow moods (where I’ll start with a random song I like and see where the “suggestions” take you) then I do find myself drawn to (or away from) songs based on the title alone.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »
I can say from experience that song titles definitely affect my preconceptions of a song and whether or not I want to listen to it – especially if it’s by an artist I’ve never heard of before. but even with some that I do know but am maybe "meh" about.

But there’s no formula for this – I just read the title and think, “Yeah, that sounds like it may be worth listening to”, or I’ll think, “Nah, don’t think I’m gonna like that vibe”. It doesn’t make a difference if it’s a clever title or more mundane – both have put me off at times. Sometimes I think it’s partly the mood I’m…

When I’m in one of my YouTube go-with-the-flow moods (where I’ll start with a random song I like and see where the “suggestions” take you) then I do find myself drawn to (or away from) songs based on the title alone.

Hi Sterix

So which of these would entice you?

A is for Zebra,
56 56 [96
Together
She Shook Me Cold
Texas Twister

cpm?

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
Hi CPM,

She Shook Me Cold would probably be the first one I'd listen to. Followed by Together, although that gives off a slow vibe and it would depend on what sort of mood I was in. Those would be the ones more likely to draw me in. If I liked those I'd then have a crack at the others.

I should add a note here - I think I'm getting a little more picky lately on what I listen to when I don't know the artist... I'm in a bit of a stress-filled place right now and that affects my moods, which in turn affects my musical selectivity (when I'm in my more care-free times I'm more willing to listen to new things - that's when I get my YouTube moods!). For instance, I like the "A is for Zebra" as a title, but right now it doesn't make me want to listen to it. I'm pretty sure that, when I'm more receptive, I'd definitely give it a listen.

So it's probably not really a very good answer for you, sorry.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi CPM,

She Shook Me Cold would probably be the first one I'd listen to. Followed by Together, although that gives off a slow vibe and it would depend on what sort of mood I was in. Those would be the ones more likely to draw me in. If I liked those I'd then have a crack at the others.

I should add a note here - I think I'm getting a little more picky lately on what I listen to when I don't know the artist... I'm in a bit of a stress-filled place right now and that affects my moods, which in turn affects my musical selectivity (when I'm in my more care-free times I'm more willing to listen to new things - that's when I get my YouTube moods!). For instance, I like the "A is for Zebra" as a title, but right now it doesn't make me want to listen to it. I'm pretty sure that, when I'm more receptive, I'd definitely give it a listen.

So it's probably not really a very good answer for you, sorry.

Hi Sterix

That's OK, all I want is your honesty, it's now called Jesus on a Bike, after the comments posted here.

cpm

Laptop Philharmonic

• Busker
    • laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
So here's what I'd expect from each of them...

A is for Zebra > Quirky alt-rock thing, maybe a bit like Flaming Lips
588 > ????
56 56 [96 > Aphex Twin?
Together > Cheesy pop
She Shook Me Cold > Cheesy rock
Texas Twister > Cheesy country

I think 588 wins it for me personally.
Search "Laptop Philharmonic" on Spotify, iTunes etc. or visit:
laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com

Robbie S

• Busker
    • Six Months To Write A Hit Record
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »

Hi

Yea song titles, I guess ultimately it's the song that counts but I just did a songwriting workshop and we we're told a few interesting things about song titles.

That they should be unusual, unique and original, sounds obvious, maybe!

In terms of people listening to you're song that title might be the draw in for them!

If you're an established artist people will listen no matter what the title is, and the'll even listen to a long intro, cause they already know and like you're work.

Bit if you're an unknown you need to come up with title that grabs them, interest's their curiosity.

But I think it should have some connection with song, in some way.

From you're titles - 56 56 [96 is the one that sticks out, what do these numbers mean? why is there a [ before the 96? I'm interested!
But is there any connection to the song? In my opinion I think there should be? ?

Doesn't "Bohemian Rhapsody" describe the song ?

Bohemian - Bohemians were against the Salon (the institution that controlled the literary and art market in France until the turn of the 20th century)and believed that art and literature should be radical.

A rhapsody in music is a one-movement work that is episodic yet integrated, free-flowing in structure, featuring a range of highly contrasted moods, colour and tonality.

If think the title does relate to the song personally.

Hope that's helpful.

Looking forward to hearing "56 56 [96"

I see that the numbers 56 96 relate to - "Hohner Echo Harp 56 96 CG harmonica"

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Definitely 588!

8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
Well this is most interesting.

Here is all revealed for you.

A is for Zebra, (This has absolutely nothing to do with the song, but I like the way it sounded)
588 (was how much my daughter owed me at the time)
56 56 [96 (I'd just purchased some 56 strat pickups, the [96 was a typo! I mean't to type another space but I hit a [  (I know they are not close together but hey, cut me some slack here...) 56
Together (Completely relevent to the song and one of the words in the Chorus), and yes cheesy as a cheesy crouton.

I am rather drawn to weird song titles, the weirder the better, it does as you say, draw me in to it to explore how it could possible sound, it's also a function of how to name instrumentals...

Thanks for the feedback and I'll leave you with my favourite song title

mole organ surgery using fairly elementary tools

cpm