The Oldest Noob In Town...

• 9 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
Hi.

My name is Martin, I'm from the UK, and I've been writing songs for over 30 years (ye gads, I feel old!). Unfortunately, since I don't play an instrument (I did learn the recorder in infant school and I can occasionally hit more than one key in the right order on my dilapidated old synthesizer so those don't count) I have to remember the tunes in my head and hope I can remember them afterwards (was easier when I was younger, now much more difficult).

I've recently been having more and more morbose thoughts regarding the stuff I've written and how, once I pop my mortal coil, they could disappear forever. I've joined this forum partly in the hope of remedying that somewhat, and maybe offering advice from some of the experience (or lack thereof) I've accumulated over the years.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings for now. I'm sure I'll reveal more as I get to know people here.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:09:00 AM »
Welcome, Martin! You've joined a great forum! We have a few Martin/Martyns here. And the guys who aren't named Martin (or Martyn) are mostly named Paul. So prepare for identity confusion. ;D

I look forward to hearing from you on the various boards.

Vicki

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
Welcome to the zone,

You'll like it here...people are very friendly.

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
As someone else a "few months" over 20, welcome indeed. I agree there's nothing like old father time to add some urgency to the creative process!
But a few grey hairs mean that you've a lot to give as well as to receive so look forward to seeing you round here.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
Welcome, Martin! You've joined a great forum! We have a few Martin/Martyns here. And the guys who aren't named Martin (or Martyn) are mostly named Paul. So prepare for identity confusion. ;D
That's okay, I'm used to it. Until a couple of weeks ago I was working alongside a Mark and three Mat(t)hews (have to separate them into Mat, who's just left the company for pastures new, Matthew and Mathio) - most of us answering the phone. Confuses the hell out of customers, even those who know us well! First line tech support, by the way, means I fix computers - mainly by Googling the answer but, shhh, don't tell the boss!

As someone else a "few months" over 20
As someone who is 21 and has been for a while now... :p

But a few grey hairs mean that you've a lot to give as well as to receive so look forward to seeing you round here.
*nonchalantly slides the Grecian 2000 out of site*

What grey hairs? :D

Welcome to the zone,
Thank you.

Welcome Man. Looking forward to hearing your stuff  :)
If you ever heard me singing with my headphones on full blast on the way to and from work you wouldn't be looking so forward to it! :p

Thanks everyone.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I get what you mean, I had some songs written from when I was a lot longer and worried they'd be lost forever when I snuff it lol.

Laptop Philharmonic

• Busker
    • laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:51:21 PM »
Hi Martin,

Breaking with tradition, I'm not called Martin, Martyn or Paul. People here seem to call me "Lappy".

I'm curious... what do you write your songs with? Do you just come up with stuff in your head and remember it?
Search "Laptop Philharmonic" on Spotify, iTunes etc. or visit:
laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
Hi Martin,

Breaking with tradition, I'm not called Martin, Martyn or Paul. People here seem to call me "Lappy".

I'm curious... what do you write your songs with? Do you just come up with stuff in your head and remember it?
Hi Lappy,

Thanks for the interest.

To (sort of) answer your questions, I basically sit at a keyboard with a tune (or the start of one) in my head and start typing lyrics. The tune, if I’m lucky, stays in my head (although I’ve resorted lately to using Voice Recorder whilst I’m writing to help my memory-challenged mind to have a chance of retaining it – if I’m lucky I can pick up the tune again despite my terrible singing).

Sometimes I’ll think up a starting line and a tune will pop in my head that seems to fit, and I’ll take it from there. When I first started writing them I used to come up with the titles and write songs to fit them – I still try that occasionally if I dream up a particularly interesting one.

I’d love to hear some of them recorded (not by myself, although I did do so once on an old cassette recorder where I played – not very well – the synthesizer and my wife and I sang it. I was quite fond of it but it got lost in the midst of time). Maybe someone here may help turn one or two of them into reality but it’s not something I’d want to rush into – I’m quite shy with people I don’t know and letting someone run amok with one of my “babies” would mean opening up doors to my soul I wouldn’t want just anyone seeing beyond.

I’ve been rather busy (and stressed) the last few weeks so I haven’t been able to spend as much time here and getting to know people and their works as I’d have liked. Hopefully I’ll be able to relax a but more at the moment and remedy that.

Regards,

Martin.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
Hey Marty, Chill out in here man, turn off the TV, put your favourite Axe on your lap, pour a glass of real ale, pop the slippers in the micro for 45 sec. Remove all the magazines from the coffee table, put your feet up.

Stick some jazzy blues on and just jam.

Now that's what I call call music.

Aaaaaaaaaah

Hope this helps

cpm