« on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
Hi People of the forum
Here is a track from our recent recording sessions
The band has been writing together for maybe a year now
and we’re looking at getting out there doing some gigs this Summer
So some feedback would be great

https://soundcloud.com/user-631563129/aint-no-use

Well I know you like to think your in control,
when you play your games in front of your friends                                                   
I know you like to put me in a hole, while you smile at all those other                                                       
People think your serious, and ask you if you want me putting down                         
I swear your gonna get me jailed, if you keep on putting this vibe around

Chorus:
it ain’t no use trying to wear me down,
it ain't no use, thinking I'll leave town
it ain't no use, playing through this part,
cos I no as well as you what is really in your heart
it ain't no use, 
it ain't no use
Playing through this part.

Verse 2:
Well I even start to sound like some kind of creep,
in my own head
these mind games your keep playing, are likely to leave me dead
but I’m the only one who hears what you say when we’re all alone
So keep on testing me to destruction because I'm a keeping on

Chorus:

Verse 3:
There's a place, that you and me are heading for,
I don't know if it's heaven or hell
I only know that I come running, every time, every time you ring the bell
And if the truth is that you don't even know your own mind
and you think the way to change it is just to be unkind, well…

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »
Hi guys. I really liked this. Big 70s rock vibe. Nice and tight and great rockin vocals.  Maybe keep the lead out for a while at the start as it's really good and when it comes in. BANG ! Maybe trim one verse or chorus if you want to comply with the 3 minute rule but apart from that top work guys  :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:48 PM »
Some good work here for sure.

KOTQM

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
Hi guys. I really liked this. Big 70s rock vibe. Nice and tight and great rockin vocals.  Maybe keep the lead out for a while at the start as it's really good and when it comes in. BANG ! Maybe trim one verse or chorus if you want to comply with the 3 minute rule but apart from that top work guys  :)

Thanks for your kind words and advice
Going to have trouble trimming anything these guys don't want stop once they get going! :D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
Yo Retro.

This has a nice Blues/rock vibe with strong,confident vocals.

I'd echo the sentiments of our greatly revered member,the right honourable pompeyjazz.

Keep a tighter rein on the lead passages,they loose impact when they are overused.

The length would work fine for a live scenario,but a couple of minutes needs to go,or you risk losing folk's interest. Give them a 'Wham,Bam,Thank you Ma'am'.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
This song is great and it really rocks, but ( I can't believe I'm saying this! ), the lead guitar is overused which detracts from the great solo later on, and overall the track does feel too long. but it is still a great rock track so is right up my street.

Well done guys, Mikey

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »
First of all, love the name of the band.

Personally, I don't mind the length of the song. Three minutes is okay if you wanna do Eurovision but I like good five minute song. If you're enjoying it then you don't want it to stop. It;s blues/rock, not a pop song!  ;)

The genre is not quite my cup of tea but I did find myself tapping the old foot a time or two.

As a lyricist, my only (pet) peeve is the lyrics in the post not marrying up to the recording (sorry, this drives me MAD, especially when those lyrics are printed on a released album - me goes all Hulk when that happens!)   ;D

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
Hey Guys. Welcome to the forum. This is a very splendid piece of pomp rock. The chorus is catchy enough to just about justify all the musical masturbation that your lead guitarist churns out. When you play this live make sure you speed it up a bit and the vocalist gives it as much as the guitarist.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Retro,  I know those guys just can't stop it but you can always introduce producers perogative.  That's unless they're all sitting close to you with heavy blunt instruments.  Guitars, Ouch  ;D

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
Great rocking track and would be particularly good live. Great guitar playing, but  as others have said, I would pare back a little in the studio.

Cheers,

Kevin

Katie Wilson

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »
This is great really gritty from the start - love the guitar riff - I wouldn't change it added to my soundcloud playlist

Love it xxx

Retroflector

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback  ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
I would agree pretty much with the other guys comments, too much lead guitar, it's always tempting to feature it often, but it makes more impact under used, making the listener wanting more. Maybe use tiny hooks on the lead guitar.

Could be a few bpm quick too.

Solid nourishment as they used say.

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
Fun song, nicely written and nicely played. I'm sure it will be good live too. Not stunningly original but I don't think that's the point. I think you could go either way - straight up southern blues rock or something a bit more grungy and indie, depending on where you want to take it.