konalavadome

Email about Submission Policy ignored

• 6 Replies

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
Hello
Im a new member. My huband is a songwriter and I’ve been trying to submit his songs to Music Publishers. I sent 2 polite emails to 2 different Music Publishers (both open to beginners) asking about their submission policy but i didn’t get any answer from both, to my surprise. I wasn’t expecting that. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?  Should i wait one week send another email? Thoughts?
Thanx a lot

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »
Hello & welcome.
Most of the major music publishers won't accept unsolicited submissions so you probably won't have much luck there.

Gain exposure by playing gigs, posting on youtube, soundcloud, networking etc etc...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:22:07 PM by Ramshackles »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Hello and welcome also

In addition to ramshackles's insight I would also note that you submitting your husband's work for him might come off as a little unprofessional from a publisher's point of view. Also I would suggest that a phone call is a far better use of your time. That's what I did when I was submitting music. They either told Me outright no or gave me the email of the person I needed to contact directly along with their preferred format. I do strongly recommend that your husband does this for himself.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Thank you for your answer and welcome. Well, besides being his wife im also his manager, i represent him. He doesn’t deal with business and I do. When i write to MPs i say i represent him. They got no idea im married to him. Thanx a lot for sharing his experience and ideas!

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
Hello & welcome.
Most of the major music publishers won't accept unsolicited submissions so you probably won't have much look there.

Gain exposure by playing gigs, posting on youtube, soundcloud, networking etc etc...

Thank you. He doesn’t want to perform, just to sell his songs.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum

It is not unusual for publishers to not reply at all to unsolicited contact

You really need to develop contacts, network and build a bit of a buzz (even as a writer) if you want to pitch songs yourself - i.e. Move to London/LA/Nashville and network, network, network

You can pitch cold but the songs would have to be AMAZING - is sound EXACTLY like a hit on that could be played on the radio - in terms or writing, production, performance etc.

When pitching songs to publishers you are competing with the very best in the world that would have invested in studios, session performers etc.

I don't know the quality of your husbands recording/production are but the days of submitting a rough demo and someone "hearing the potential" are long gone - the music industry is now mainly run by "money men" and not artistic musicians

Songs now tend to be pitched (and often written) directly to specific opportunities - if an act is looking for a song a publisher wants a song that would perfect for that act - including the production

I would strongly recommend putting one of the songs up here for review and we have many members that can advise if the songs have any commercial potential - I would hate to see you waste time, money, opportunities if the songs are just not commercial enough to stand a chance if you do manage to get in front of someone

I don't mean to sound presumptive but before you do anything I would test to see how good the songs actually are as they would need to be "guaranteed hit" material to be considered by the publishers/artists you appear to be looking at

Writing for TV and film can be a little more forgiving but the same rules about networking apply to get a foot in the door - or you can use paid pitching services - but the songs really have to be top notch in every respect (writing, recording, production etc.)

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »
Hi, Boydie
Thanx a lot for your answer, really appreciated.
I just did it, posted one of his songs here for review http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14807.0
Thank you very much

Welcome to the forum

It is not unusual for publishers to not reply at all to unsolicited contact

You really need to develop contacts, network and build a bit of a buzz (even as a writer) if you want to pitch songs yourself - i.e. Move to London/LA/Nashville and network, network, network

You can pitch cold but the songs would have to be AMAZING - is sound EXACTLY like a hit on that could be played on the radio - in terms or writing, production, performance etc.

When pitching songs to publishers you are competing with the very best in the world that would have invested in studios, session performers etc.

I don't know the quality of your husbands recording/production are but the days of submitting a rough demo and someone "hearing the potential" are long gone - the music industry is now mainly run by "money men" and not artistic musicians

Songs now tend to be pitched (and often written) directly to specific opportunities - if an act is looking for a song a publisher wants a song that would perfect for that act - including the production

I would strongly recommend putting one of the songs up here for review and we have many members that can advise if the songs have any commercial potential - I would hate to see you waste time, money, opportunities if the songs are just not commercial enough to stand a chance if you do manage to get in front of someone

I don't mean to sound presumptive but before you do anything I would test to see how good the songs actually are as they would need to be "guaranteed hit" material to be considered by the publishers/artists you appear to be looking at

Writing for TV and film can be a little more forgiving but the same rules about networking apply to get a foot in the door - or you can use paid pitching services - but the songs really have to be top notch in every respect (writing, recording, production etc.)