The Hey Heavy

• 3 Replies

Marcus Deso

• Busker
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

No specific reason why I wrote this song.  When I play I find songs/vibes come.  Up until this point my stuff has been quite freeform.  These selections of songs I'm working on are a more traditional form of song writing.

The Hey Heavy was initially a great vibe - usually lyrics don't come so easy but when I record I'll have a few lines that I like that I disperse around the track and improvise the rest.  The lyrics feel, to me, a little nonsensical or too abstract to go back to tap into the thinking at that point (as I said I'm quite freeform.)

Song was recorded using 1 SM57 for vocal and guitars asnd i put down some harmonies just to give me a general feel - (usually how I put down scratch tracks) - so I know vocals need a bit more clarity and refined not to alienate the listener and some better positioning on the mic for less boominess on guitar.

Looking for feedback in how you feel the overall flow goes.  Anything else to add brushes percussion, harmonica?

Anyway guys thanks for listening feel free to PM for collabs or any song writing chat  :)

LYRICS:
Heard you in lost in your mind
and you got it painted on your hand
Down from the great Sky
the trees so beautiful
and the stars were bright, were bright

If I get blinded by sight
and i beg I'll leave you t'go
time don't love don't hate
You may run and if you're scared and god
I hear you runnin, i'm so scared
and I get in my head, in my roam

dreams are made until you say
it's got to be this way
don't lay
don't lay

somebody heard o'the water
it's rollin off your shoulder
they say
they say

and it was old
and I burn my hand

and it all comes down
and someone, body needs
You got your modern way
You got your modern way
You got your modern way

I got a flower for you
and it's dying
dying

since I saw that
face in me
I'm me
I'm crossed I'm anger
I'm all that you desire

Time and low they'll hear my
come time and low don't lay
someway don't lay
don't lay
don't lay

Lay ay ay ay ay aaaay

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:28:33 PM by Marscus Deso »

Robbie S

• Busker
    • Six Months To Write A Hit Record
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

Hey Marcus

Had a listen to your song, sounds great. Mellow, melancholy and as you say free flowing.

I like your voice too, would like to hear it a little higher up in the mix. Yea would be really nice to hear some percussion kicking in at some point and the harmonica I think would really add something, it's such a soul-full instrument.

"I got a flower for you, and it's dying" - Wonderful sentiment.

Best
Robbie : )

Daniel_Young

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
I liked the guitar picking and the vibe,
the harmonies also adds to the nice relaxing vibe.

I think that it's not too late if you feel like you want to emphasize any part.

Good luck!

Marcus Deso

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback

@ Daniel, this was literally more or less improvised so this was the first creation literally so I'm ot sure where I can take it as a deviation to come back in to the main melody.  The words I will refine slightly too.

@ Robbie - cheers for the input, was floating around on the looploft site seeing if there's anything I could introduce at some point.  Agree about the vocals, going to purchase a Rode NT1 specifically for vocals so maybe that'll give me a little more crispness and lift the vocals out a little more but as I was saying as this was a scratch track whatever the mic picked up came out so just need to go back and do vocals seperately and try with the NT1 see if it adds more. 
  I have a very Sonny Terry style on harp but will have to purchase a Cb minor to jam on it lol.

Again much appreciation for takig the time to post :)