• 20 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:12:15 AM »
wotcha folks

ages since ive posted a song ..nearly forgot how to do it
so im happy to present a new one from paul aka 'wicked deeds' and myself.
paul wrote and performed the beautiful musical backing track..
im singing and wrote the lyric & melody.
hope you enjoy it..

WEVE UPDATED THE FILE ..amending any leaning issues :)

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1/my-impression-nooms-vasey/s-wsb9f

my impression

the endlessly wide sky,
aiming for midnight, waves,
the sweet part as it fades away
youll polish these frames, it say, tomorrow

thats my impression,
its not up to par but
either you get it or you dont

drifting on the sea
one of those suddenlys
flapping crazily
make it to the shoreline

you know me, i cant help myself
im only holding on cos i cant let go

thats my impression

high tide in the afternoon, reptilian free
till those who dared would be running to stop me
i dived from the board and you saved me

you know me i cant help myself
im only holding on..

the endlessly wide sky
rolling in midnights wake,
the sweetheart waiting for the daybreak
youll polish these frames, she say, tomorrow

thats my impression, i cant explain
i thought it was fair but you, had to be there 

burn the witch’ll be breezin out our new window
thats my impression
thats my impression
thats my impression

nooms 2018
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:52:26 PM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

DaveDeMann

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:40:10 AM »
A lot to like here.

However, couple of things

In the line

"its not up to par but
either you get it or you dont"

you sing 'got' not get, which changes the meaning.

also the line
'it all could change tomorrow' (before 'high tide in the afternoon, reptilian free') has been dropped, which is a good thing.

At times the vocal 'duet' with yourself was not harmonious (near the end, more or less one time)

Otherwise, yup, very nice piece.

ETA. Yeah, really nice piece - actually excellent tbh, addictive. Hard to judge if there's issues, or if it's intentional. Will listen more tomorrow. I do think it needs tightening, nonetheless. And maybe one more instrument, nothing heavy, maybe a violin riff. Fab.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:52:35 AM by DaveDeMann »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
Cool song, quite a sophisticated arrangement, drums are off center though, the vox sound is very good but may be a touch too loud in the mix IMHO..

very cool song though :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
I've just listened and it was obvious about the drums being off-centre.  I don't know how  that one got past me  :P. It's quite easy to fix so I'll address this and send the musical track over to you nooms. I've had so much personal rubbish to deal with lately, not to mention work and bouncing back and forth between the North East and North West. Somewhere in between, I'm writing extensively for myself juggling several collaborations. My mistake - great to have fresh  ears to pick up on these things. :-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:49:23 PM by Wicked Deeds »

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
appreciate the heads up folks

kevin.. i can hear paul now having a serious talk with his drummer for leaning during a session..
got passed me as well..magic of the moment !

dave.. yes im guilty about get it and got it.. but feels natural conversational to me but appreciate your thought

FILES NOW UPDATED , DRUMMER HAS BEEN SPOKEN TOO..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:49:57 PM by nooms »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »
Yep!! much better...drummers ::) ::) can't live with em!..can't live with em!! ::) ::)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
It's 2am and the well furnished,but slightly 'well used' bar is host to both hopeful and hope lost lovers,all seeking the opportunity not to be lonely,even if it's just for a few hours,before necessity and the rules of life dictate otherwise and normal life resumes it's ever hungry pace.

The band plays and despite their desperate infatuations,the bar clientele find themselves drawn to the imagery depicted by the world weary lyricism of the singer. Every pore exudes the escapism and the other-worldliness they seek by paying premium prices for cheap alcohol and expensive company.

They have no clue as to the meaning of the song and couldn't care less anyway,it's enough to be transported by the artistry of the song and a performance which touches the small shred of spirituality they once vaguely knew,but which has passed eons ago like a half remembered dream,upon waking.

Nostalgia,regret rising to a crescendo of guilt and subsiding,ultimately and intimately to a feeling of intense forgiveness.

A rebirth.

Another chance.  :)

Sorry lads,I just couldn't critique the song,but as you may have guessed,I quite liked it.  ;)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
So much going on here - a real feast of arrangements, always something new coming along to keep our interest. More atmospheric than hooky and the laid back vocal style really takes us to a place... I do like lyrics that are unique and thoughtful, - the frames idea is a really excellent one - some others (reptilian, the witch) I'm still thinking about, but that's a good thing I think. Lots of craft gone into this - You'd probably say this piece was "impressionistic" (right @Wicked Deeds ?) with some expressionism thrown in.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
With 2 of the most talented people on the forum coming together I thought this would be good but I didn't think it would be quite this good. Sophisticated, masterpiece of an arrangement to support a lovely, dreamy song. Everything in it's place, every note there for a reason. Sublime collab.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Hi guys, excellent collaboration. Lovely piece, great arrangement, instrumentation and variation. Vocals great, somewhere between Paul Buchanan and David Bowie. Loved the twisting and turning melody...........I'm jealous ;)
Class!

Cheers
Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
Ok, now that I’ve addressed panning issues, I think it would be appropriate to share one or two thoughts. 

Nooms and I have been writing together for a while.  In fact, we have a full album of songs that will hopefully be released in the not too distant future. 

‘My Impression’ is a return to collaborating after a fairly lengthy absence that was really unavoidable.  Life simply got in the way of our output.  It was therefore an absolute delight to resume our old partnership.  The music that I wrote was called ‘Drifting On the Sea’.  I sent nooms the working title and details of a holiday that I had in which I was learning to snorkel in some very deep waters of the Greek island of Heraklion.  Though I don’t totally understand the lyrics that nooms has written, I do latch on to words, and sentences that appeal to me and I then attribute my meaning  to develop my own understanding.  That’s enough for me.  I simply get what nooms is doing.  the words are emotive and I can see myself in many of the phrases that he has written.  Back to my snorkelling lessons - I was “drifting on the sea” and my “suddenly” occurred when a panic set in and I swam as hard as I could to the shoreline “flapping crazily, make it to the shoreline”  Then there’s the line “I’m only holding on cos I can’t let go”  -  who hasn’t felt like that before?  Many of  us have, I feel sure of that.  I love the lyric “I dived from the board and you saved me”.  In short, there are so many lyrics that feel world weary to me and suggest a longing for something that maybe we never will attain.  “The endlessly wide sky, rolling in midnight’s wake.  the sweetheart waiting for the daybreak.”  There are too many good lyrics to comment upon but I wanted to share these thoughts especially with nooms as I’ve been so busy and unable to comment personally on his creative writing.  In essence, that’s why I collaborate with nooms.  He’s a quality writer and what he does, moves me deeply. 

Nooms - I tip my hat to you sir!

Paul
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:18:06 PM by Wicked Deeds »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
Very sophisticated sound. Cool and hip. Vocals are beautiful. Sexy.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:16 AM »
ahoy there..

dave : 
thanks for your comments & hope you got/get used to the got/get dilemma..

kev :
any sophistication comes from pauls backing track.. grooves and swells up..  i like the wind that blows thro the trees in the strings - the outro was moving into chi lites territory which could happily have gone on and on..

monty :
really nice comments alan  cheers

skub :
appreciated your review davy not sure if you realise how many nails you hit there..
my ma was from newry and used to read the tea leaves and was good too then, well, tea bags came in..
what can you say

jamie :
some comparison there jamie !  think bowie wouldve used his 'wild is the wind' voice rather than my ancient choir boy ..
glad you enjoyed

red hodie :
cool & hip yes thats us exactly ..sexy im not sure about

adam :
thanks adam.. burn the witch refers to moon shaped pool album by radiohead.its the opening track.
my partner loves them and when theyre playing in the house alls well so it represents, to me anyway, realisation of love and good times..

all very oh well i know but there you go

its a wonderful backing track and stands on its own without my warbling all over it,..
pauls a brilliant and very prolific writer bundles of ideas and im lucky to get the opportunity to work with him..
i know hes well happy about the comments we received
he cant get to the phone right now but he will
i wish him well
thanks again

Katie Wilson

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »
Not really my thing , I like my songs to move a bit faster but  there are some bits that I like . I'm trying to learn from everyone on here .

It's got atmosphere and creates a mood, I think I might need to listen several times to get more of a feel for it .

I do like the title and the "that's my impression " part and listening to it I really felt that I was swaying on the sea

Some of the lyrics I liked .
That's my take on it ( for what it's worth

Katie xxx

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »

Well....brilliant, of course  ;D ;D

Wasn't too sure about the big string swells at first......but love all of them now ;D ;D
 Great contrast with the tone on that guitar....lovely playing Paul, reminded me of Harry Lime ;D
 BV's toward the end are a lovely/inspired touch.   

As for the vocal....well I know as soon as I see Nooms on a title,  I'm going to love it ;D
 You're a one off mate.....NOBODY does it like you. You're a bloody national treasure. ;D ;D
 Really pleased to see you back amongst us Nooms  ;D

Excellent work guys.  You remain stars in my musical world ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran