konalavadome

A Night On The Town With The Boys.....Forum collab

• 14 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
 Hi,

This started out as a Brubeck inspired track that I sent to Paul last year. It was only meant as something for him to
 jam along to when he was setting up his equipment in his new home.  Within a couple of days he sent me back a
 full vocal, lyrics....the lot ;D .At the same time Ram had posted a request for some mixing practice....so I asked
 Paulski, Skub and Cazrolina if they fancied a gig...and "Bobs' yer uncle" as they used to say ;D ;D I love it ;D Of Course...
 I think it's Cool, Groovy and Sophisticated......and ALL Forum.  I think the band did a great job, and I'm looking
 forward to the next gig....... :o

The result is here for you delectation and appreciation, with a short intro from the brilliant Paul Vasey to set the
 scene......

**Edited by Boydie to use the SOUNDCLOUD embedding feature**

Elvis and Buddy Holly have soaked up so much adoration on earth, it may have gone to their heads a little .  They meet up in heaven to have a  regular night out at the weekend, performing at the bars as the coolest musicians/performers in the afterlife.  Enter a couple of classical Dude’s, Mozart and Chopin, eager for a night out with the two legendary performers to see what the fuss was really all about.  It soon becomes apparent to the rock ’n’ roll fellas that they enjoy a different kind of music to the old classical masters.  Elvis complains to Buddy about their new drinking pals and Buddy complains to the barmaid. 

The scene is set on ‘Magdalene Lane’ a reference to the Don Mclean song which, has it’s roots in folk music - Don Mclean’s music is ok to Elvis and Buddy since there are elements of folk in rock ’n’ roll. When Elvis says  ‘There no rock to roll’  in the classical music that he can’t relate to, he’s really saying that classical music has no sex, (rock ’n’ roll was really a term used by African Americans to mean sexual intercourse.)  I like the conversation that Buddy takes to the barmaid ‘This music is dead’ - loaded with irony since of course all participants in the story are also dead.  Buddy says that ‘I don’t think they care for my name.  Buddy perceives that he is of little significance to the classical music genre  and omits to see the progression in musical genres.  So begins the complaint to the barmaid, ‘There’s ‘No Peggy Sue, no Jailhouse Rock’  He even mentions the absence of Billy Hayley, referring to his song ‘Rock around the clock’  Rhythm and blues, gospel, country and Jazz are all ok since they all have perceived strong influences to the rock ’n’ roll genre. (rhythm and blues go fine with the Elvis' Blue Suede Shoes')  Classical music is however to the legendary performers on this occasion overlooked as being of real significance to the Rock and Roll genre “The lyrics are Strange”  (absent).

Well there you have it, a quirky look into the approaches that I employ to write.  At times they can be bizarre and made to fit in a quirky manner to hopefully produce something that is maybe a little but probably not often unique. 

A Night With The Boys On The Town

It was four in the morning, Magdelane Lane.
Elvis and Buddy were singing again.
A night with the boys on the town.

Elvis said “I think this music’s deranged.
There’s no rock to roll and the lyrics are strange. 
Mozart and Chopin should never have come to this gig."

Buddy then smiled at the barmaid and said,
“A round for the boys, hey, this music is dead.”
A night with the boys on the town.

"It’s a hall of fame.  I  don’t think, they care for my name.
Mozart and Chopin should kindly refrain from this gig.
No Peggy Sue, no Jailhouse Rock, no Bill Hayley around the clock, around the clock.”

A night with the boys on the town

"Rhythm and blues;
gospel goes fine with these shoes.
Country and a jazz
embody a certain pizazz.

Mozart and Chopin should never have come to this gig.
Never, never have come to this gig.
Mozart and Chopin should never have come to this gig.

Music by Steve Binladeda, Lyrics and vocal melody Paul Vasey
Piano by Paulski
BV's and Harmonies by Skub and Cazrolina
Mixed and Produced by Ramshackles
Mastered by Boydie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:52:29 PM by Boydie »
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
Yo Bin.

Whoo Hoo,this one was a long time in the cooking! I had almost forgotten about it.

The finished article is one that rewards lots of listens,there are so many little intricate bits weaved into the whole tapestry of sonic goodness. I'm loving what Ram did with the mix and Boydie the final tweaks,man it's a polished thing,ain't it?  8) I had very little input,but I'm more than happy to have my name associated with the track.  :)

Paul's lyrics are wonderfully off the wall and his vocals a perfect match. I love the addition of Caz,adds a little bit of class.  Paulski's caressing of the ivories is quite sublime.

One of your babies to be proud of Bin.  8)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Oh, that sounds like it was fun! Nice job, everyone!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
It was a real priveledge to be a part of this. So many talented people got on board to make  this recording quite special. I tip my hat  hat to everyone of you!

Thank you for allowing me to play a part in this project.   :) :) :)

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
This is top top quality work guys. Such clever writing and some amazing performances. You should all be very proud.  Why is stuff like this not only the radio ?????

Well done all  :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
Truly exceptional ! Really, really good. I can  hear Paddy McAloon the vocal phrasing and the backing track is pure class.  Well done to all .... and can someone make sure this is a nomination for song of the month?

Kevin

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
congrats bin this is a lovely track
wonderful mix with a cast of thousands and can hear them all
love the groove and arrangmnt
cant help but move to it and pauls vocals and back vocals weaving around each other
steely dan come strongly to mind way it lifts and floats
so many textures and influences all moving as one
top marks all
love it
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »
Super cool sound here - that sax and Bin's guitar really lay a slightly swinging basis for the melodic blend of vocals. Lyrics are complex for a first listen but some genius touches - some pizazz  even! And the theme is an enduring one, a generation gap in musical taste, whoever heard of such a thing?
Really great contribution from everyone - enjoyed a few times now.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
Brilliant, love it great collaboration guys! Steely Dan are one of my favourite bands and this has their class written all over it. Fab!

Cheers
Jamie

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Ah really enjoyed that listen.
very mellow, jazzy, sophisticated  :)

Great job to all who took part
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
Ahh man, those keys. And what a groove the band created. So silky smooth. A fantastic collaboration. And you really can distinctly hear everyone's elements and musical styles/personalities cleverly blending together. I loved getting a sneak peek of this and it was an honour to sneak in on the action. Thanks so much, folks :) And have a wonderful weekend everyone.
cx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
I don't know why this makes me think of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Very cool stuff going on. Great lyrics and melody. Enjoyed it.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
Bin,
Well I'm delighted to have listened to this guys and girls.
Smart intelligent lyrics Paul, they put a smile on my face and I just love the lovely loose groove of the tune and all the little bits and pieces.
Fabulous
 :) :) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
Clever lyrics, great track and I liked the ending, perfect. I slso liked the tension between the vocal melody and the backing track, a nod to what the night out must have been like. Elvis and Buddy wanting to rock and roll whilst Mozart and Chopin were holding the night back.

Keith

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 10:56:00 PM »
Yep, verrrry smooth and I picked up on the Donald Fagen / Steely Dan vibe too.
Lovely sax and keys and voices, the whole thing sounds like your were all in a room together.  A great sultry late evening track.
It's all too beautiful.