Finding your voice

• 2 Replies

MjayP

• Busker
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:48 AM »
In terms of the idea of ‘finding your voice’ as a singer-songwriter. Isn’t there a fine line between having a ‘style” and your songs sounding too similar to one another?

What’s the best way to prevent this?

It seems like quite a balancing act to keep things fresh, whilst maintaining a sound that is distinctive to you.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
This is an interesting topic MjayP.

I don't take any care if they conform to my 'style', as I don't know what that is...and in a way I don't want to be boxed in by having my own style, I think you have listened to quite a bit of my stuff on SC, do you think I have a 'style'?

Since being on SC I have had to stick the label of a genre against each one, but some I have no idea of what the genre is, so I made my own up 'Parsleyorama'

So in a nutshell I let the style just evolve, you'll know if you think the song is very much like one of your others, so be honest with yourself, and your listeners will thank you for it.

hope this helps

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:14:14 AM »
I think it may depend on whether you're more of a writer or more of a performer. Those who perform a lot and master an instrument probably do end up having more of a style, while those who are more writers may have their trademark ways but probably hop between styles more easily.

I say just write more. Songs have a habit of pulling in a certain direction. The magic of digital tech also means that you have almost every instrument in your PC so you can approximate what you hear in your head and have a different band every time if you want to...