konalavadome

Poll

Which version to do you prefer?

Bring It Back Original
4 (66.7%)
Bring it Back Stripped Down
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Bring It Back (Including Poll of Which Version)

• 37 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
Bring It Back

Would love some feedback on this one .. please use the poll to let me know which version you prefer.

https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/29213525-bring-it-back
https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/29332127-bring-it-back-stripped-down

Standing alone at the top of the stairs

Is this what it's like to be free?

Downstairs the sound of the TV drones on

Is this how his life's meant to be?

"And then the lights go out an there's no one left here but me"

Bring it back, bring it back

"And when it comes to love there's nothing more I can take"

Who would have thought after all of these years

She's find the courage to leave?

It didn't take much to convince her to go

Why did she look so relieved?

He picks up his phone just in case that she's called

But no one has called him today

He feels so alone as he lies on the bed

Life can be funny that way

Life can be funny that way

Maybe tomorrow he'll sort something out

Yes maybe tomorrow we'll see

Downstairs the sounds of the TV drones on

Is this how his life's meant to be?

Bring it back

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
Not sure if it's just because of the forum upgrade, but have not received any feedback since posting three days ago, so please bear with me if I bump this one up ....

Thanks,

Kevin

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
I'll bite.
It's not really the kind of style I usually go for but I'll try...

- The guitar licks/sound is really cool
- The upbeat, 'jaunty' drums and percussion are a little at odds with the soaring guitars. Can't decide if this is good or bad. In any case I think they are to prominent in the mix. Maybe a little change here?
- I think it needs a break, chorus or something. Its all built around this descending scale which, while cool, has been done a lot. I think you have the core of a song but it needs developing
- I really like the lyrics with the exception of the 'bring it back' line. Maybe it just because when I hear it I can't help but think about 'Sing it back' by Moloko which has the same line... (Took me a bit of youtube and googling trawling to try and remember the song it reminded me of!)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:10:58 PM »
Hi Kev,
Same as shackles here, Not my bag, if I was producing this (but I am not), I would have gone for a bit opf processing on Vocal, slight delay or reverb or some kind of processing.

Guitars are cool tho, Vocal is good too, IMHO needs a bit of effects...And more distinct sections.

But hey Kev, As a song, liked the lyrics and it flowed along nice .

Not my style but great work. Mix is good too.

Well done.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
Hi kev I love it , great voice - has a disco feel to me - l love the background chorus , a great song to dance to - I think you're other stuff is good as well xxx

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »
Many thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated, particularly those for whom this is not their kind of music!

- The upbeat, 'jaunty' drums and percussion are a little at odds with the soaring guitars. Can't decide if this is good or bad. In any case I think they are to prominent in the mix. Maybe a little change here?
- I think it needs a break, chorus or something. Its all built around this descending scale which, while cool, has been done a lot. I think you have the core of a song but it needs developing
- I really like the lyrics with the exception of the 'bring it back' line. Maybe it just because when I hear it I can't help but think about 'Sing it back' by Moloko which has the same line... (Took me a bit of youtube and googling trawling to try and remember the song it reminded me of!)

Some good suggestions .. I will play around with the drums and see if I can create a break that works. ( However, I'm keeping the "Bring it back line" , despite the Moloko reference :) )

... if I was producing this (but I am not), I would have gone for a bit opf processing on Vocal, slight delay or reverb or some kind of processing.

Good suggestion, I will play around with the vocal effects. (There are actually 3 separate vocals, one of which is doubled, with some reverb on one of the doubles, but the others are dry at the moment.)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »
Yo Kev.

I liked the track,very Bowie like in the vocal dept,especially using the octave track.

Ram and Andy have touched on a few points I agree with. I'm not a fan of the bongos,maybe if they were deeper in the mix they may work better?

It's a good solid track,but maybe the last few tweaks would make it special.

BTW,I think the forum is extra quiet at the moment because of FAWM running during Feb.

DaveDeMann

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
I don't mind the bongos, per se, excpt that they, and the rest of the music, drown out the vocals quite a bit.

re Lyrics. I don't think these lines fit together.
"And when it comes to love there's nothing more I can take"

Def a touch of Bowie, but the vocals need to be stronger.

Otherwise, not too bad my man.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:50:06 PM by DaveDeMann »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
I really like it, another strong song from your portfolio Kev. I'll give you my honest opinion as well,(as I always apprciate from you guys here)

I'd vote to keep the bring it back lyric

I agree with some of the other comments, the arrangement/production might need looking at. the delay on the vox, sure would help, Listening though these cans (which are closed back and quite bassy).

Only bring out the bongos as  a hook between verse and chorus, they distract too early, you need to build the song, it's like the dance of the 7 veils in reverse, so at the end it all comes together.

Push your Lead Vox a bit more, it's nearly there, add some grit.

Much stronger BVox on the chorus.

hope it helps,

cpm

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
I've posted an updated version, losing the bongos ( actually, they are still there but back in the mix) and adding some effects to the vocals. I also changed the order of things, although decided not to add a break/change up, as I kind of like the relentless circular looping effect ...

Thank again to everyone for their feedback, it really helped me to develop this one.

Cheers,

Kevin

Johnnyuk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
Hi Kev,
I took a few listens just now and a few things jumped out at me as i listened.
Nice song btw :)

When you start the first verse there is also backing vocals with it. imo they don't need to be there so early on in your song. For me they got in the way of your lead vocal so i would consider removing them. You have a good voice so lets hear it i say!
Save backing vocals for the chorus if they need it would be my advice.

There is a sweeping sound in this track which again for me doesn't need to be present so either lower it or remove it to allow your vocal to cut through. The entire mix will sound cleaner also by doing this. If you do decide to drop this sweeping sound out you will notice that your mix is now sounding cleaner because your percussion can now do it's job of driving the song forward more because it doesn't have to compete with this sweeping sound.
I really enjoyed the listen Kev! :)
Johnny :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
I really dig this! Can't put the finger on why, not that it matters though :)
Think the 'strum guitar' is a little 'fat/muddy', maybe cut a bit in the lower mids to get a crisper mix?
Not much else to add really, there is something very cool about this that I just can not put words to.
Well done!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
Kev, It's so tricky to know what to do, when you put your song out for all to advise/comment/critique? All you can do is to do what you think is right.

IMHO it's a huge improvement, I agree with JohnnyUK, that the phase doesn't need to be there all the time, those things have more effect(no pun intended) if used sparingly, like the bongos, they sit better way back in the mix. (just a little aside here, some things can be very low in the mix if they have their own space in the stereo, just because YOU know it's there, people think it needs to be obvious, but it doesn't, experiment with having stuff going on very low in the mix, and you might be surprised...it take courage though, especially if something was difficult to play. The effect I would be looking for is  more 'It might be noticed if it wasn't there, rather than it would be noticed'

The backing vox are super.

The guitar riff might also be used more effectively if the riff is more sparingly used, the hook will be planted by the time thesong is over, I guess it's like having 'big boys don't cry' in I'm not in love going through the verse and chorus.

The 'bring it back's are much better.

There sounds like a difference in lead vox between verse and chorus?? (I'm only listening on my crummy laptop speakers) so don't take my word for it.

Hope this helps.

Good job Kev.

Hope you don't mind my comments.

cpm

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »
Hi Kevin. This is an absolutely excellent song. Love it. Listened to it 3 times. I think your songwriting is really evolving in a good way. Very original, creative, well produced and catchy. Love the little guitar hooks and melodies. It also reminds me of Bowie in one of his more playful moments. Superb. This and your last song Strange is your Life are top drawer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
I think I've said it before but I can't get away from the Peter Hammil comparison vocal-wise (sorry! though I really really like his less progressive and more melodic stuff, which this could be one of).

I think it's a strong song. Writing-wise I found myself asking "bring what back"? but that may be the idea (and I certainly wouldn't want to hear "bring her back". Bring me back maybe?). Production wise the BVs sounded a bit washy and dominant at times but that's a really small thing. (I think I missed the bongos version which may be a good thing!)