konalavadome

Pumping up vocal volume. Any tips???

• 19 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
Interesting thread and agree its all about balance.
I've often found when I've imported other peoples tracks into my DAW that they've recorded very quietly. In my moribund DAW there's a feature which allows you to normalise track and maximise the the track, which is great if you've recorded stuff too quietly. I don't know if other DAWs have it, but thought I'd share.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:24 PM »
Hey CPM,
Thanks for the replies. I just checked out a youtube vid re dynamic range. Brill.
And yep, you gotta love Kate Bush. Awesome.
- I'll add 'study good mic technique' to my to-do list.

And thanks Neil - more great advice.

Now that I understand a little more about what I'm doing, and where i should be with the levels etc, things will be much easier when next recording.

(On a side note -  I found some fab vocal exercises on youtube this week, which have given me extra volume/power too. It's amazing what 12 mins of exercises has done for adding a few new skills, whilst emptying the dishwasher.  Its so much more fun now, haha.)

Cheers again
c
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
Hey CPM,
Thanks for the replies. I just checked out a youtube vid re dynamic range. Brill.
And yep, you gotta love Kate Bush. Awesome.
- I'll add 'study good mic technique' to my to-do list.

And thanks Neil - more great advice.

Now that I understand a little more about what I'm doing, and where i should be with the levels etc, things will be much easier when next recording.

(On a side note -  I found some fab vocal exercises on youtube this week, which have given me extra volume/power too. It's amazing what 12 mins of exercises has done for adding a few new skills, whilst emptying the dishwasher.  Its so much more fun now, haha.)

Cheers again
c

Hi Caz, glad that it helped,

cpm

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »
Hi Cazrolina

I see you are using a Condenser mic that needs 48V phantom power. So have you turned on Phantom power on the Focusright audio interface? If you don't the mic will work, but will be very quiet!  Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this, but I didn't spot it.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:45:17 PM by dasntn »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
Dare I say ......a little bit of "Safety compression" on the way in..

But back to the light ring on the gain knob....agree with singing the loudest part in while keeping an eye on the ring light on your interface (push the vocal more to try and get the ring to go red) then back of a bit. Should be in the ball park, back off more for a bit of safety.

Ian shepherd is a legend but if you are new to audio and recording, hes a bit heavy....

Happy recording Caz.