Reflections of Life

• 5 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: February 12, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
Songwriting is for me mainly a reflection of my life experiences.  A commentary on the places I  have been to and the people and experiences that have touched my life in a deep, emotional way.   Ocassionally, I step out of that framework and write something that is not based on an experience but it still embodies a strong emotional message. On  the whole, songs are my emotions laid bare.  Do you relate to the first or second approach?  Perhaps your approach is completely different. I hope that makes sense.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
Many of my songs are about people, places, experiences and emotions. I'll never keep a diary, it's as close as it gets.

But sometimes, and I think it is liberating, I just make something up - complete fiction. Or I'll use a phrase or two I have read in a novel that "sounds good" and base a whole song around that. I think it's good not to be too introspective sometimes!

Katie Wilson

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »
I agree Bill , its a great way to express yourself , your sadness. , your loves , your fears - a bit like poetry

I suppose it's like comedy - being able to make people laugh
songs make peole dance or sing or even to a greater depths attach themselves to,certain memories at certain times -and I think that's something very special

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
I think the only way to really be able to express something clearly is when you've experienced it. That's why a few grey hairs usually helps in this game.

Mind you I heard an interview with Diane Warren who says she can imagine what it is to be in love though she's never been there herself ("Why would I want to stay awake hearing someone breathing?!" LOL).

I do usually try to protect the other protaganists a bit, as my stories are obviously going to be from my point of view and they may not appreciate being recognised. So perhaps a bit of reality and a bit of fantasy and exaggeration.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
I'd say I write two different kind of songs. Personal and musical. The personal one often have an overly subjective perspective. People are connected, personalities combined all to get to some kind of therapeutic breakthrough. The musical ones are more focused on melody and telling a story.

I have a much to mundane outer life for it to inspire my songwriting and a much to active inner life to avoid writing.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
Catharsis.

There may be other factors involved,but my prime mover for writing songs is to get whatever is on my mind..off my mind via the medium of musical composition. I don't think I would go insane if I couldn't write,but I'd certainly be more stressed and much less content.
That feeling which comes when you finally stop fiddling about and let the song go,is cathartic. It's a release,a lancing of a troublesome boil and brings a feeling of fulfilment. The DAW is my shrink. (There's a song in that...)

Only temporary,but hey,I'll take it.

I like some songs not to be at all autobiographical,but if folk get that out if it,well I let it fly anyway.  ;)  I enjoy vicariously soaking up the experiences of others and suffering on their behalf...sometimes!  :D

Use every avenue available to catch a song from the ether.  :)