konalavadome

Oh My Golly

• 29 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »
Mmmm...sweet as a nut. Lovely vibe, great vocals and a fine, lean song. Loved the slide. The mix was a little rough but this felt just wonderful to these ears. A triumph.

M

Wow MontyDog, that's really nice of you. Thanks for forgiving the mix. I'll be forever grateful to your ears.

cpm

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
A nice song. I'm digging the guitar playing.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »
This is nice - lovely feel and flow

DaveDeMann

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
There's a lot of potential here. Genre wise it sounds more alt rock than folk to me.
But it's the skeleton, ie the lyrics this song hands upon which i think is a possible issue. So I'll do a quick critique of same

Have you heard
About the word
I'm not sure if you want to

About the word . Why 'word'? why THE word? In standard phrasing 'have you hear the word' would be more common, and appealing. 'About' the word changes that dramatically - it suggests that 'word' is a reference to, well, the Word of God, or something similar. If that's your intention, fair enough, but then you really would need a further reference to the 'word' to clarify this. (special word, a word of hope, gives me hope' sort of thing)

You came along
wrote this song
now I'm not sure at all.

If she 'wrote this song', the relationship must have had a depth of some kind. But then you say, 'that's very nice'. Nope. Doesn't wash. Also, the jump from intimate(wrote this song) to distant(I'm not sure at all) is too abrupt and unconvincing.

My friend Moni
Oh my golly
you just had to come along
changed my life
became my Wife
Well that's very nice

On my golly and 'well that's very nice' are very mild almost archaic use of language. The second one especially weakens the impact of the preceding sentences - which again, my be your intention. But if there's disappointment with the marriage, then further info is required, eg, "we shared everything, except our sins" (don't use that, its mine!!)

Have you heard heard
about the word
you came along
wrote this song
now I'm not sure at all.

This last verse sums up the issue i have with these lyrics. There is no clarity as to why he's not sure she won't want to hear the word, what significance the word 'word' has, and indeed, why he's not sure , at all.
It's fine to use metaphor etc, but only Cohen can get away with vagueness, and that's only because WE can't understand HIM.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:24:52 PM by DaveDeMann »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »
Dave, thanks very much for your detailed critique, I really appreciate it.

I'll try and answer as best I can.

First starting from the bottom, I only heard my first Cohen song, 'Hallelujah' last week, and I really like his skilled use of words.

As to the lyrics...

Have you heard
About the word

I liked the way the words didn't mean anything, and made the listener wonder about their meaning, sometimes I do that, I want people to use their own imagination to decide what it's about, rather than giving them a definitive meaning.

You came along
wrote this song  (I left off the 'I' in front of the 'wrote', as I liked how it sounded rythmically, i didn't want an anacrusis)
now I'm not sure at all.

I wasn't sure about how the song sounded, whether it was any good or not, so I put that in  :) so I'm not directing the  'I'm not sure if you want to' to my Wife, but to the listener, somewhat ironic, as they have listened to it so far and not switched it off.

The 'Oh my golly' term, I put that in precisely because it is so archaic, there is so much swearing and bad language in songs these days, it could as easily have been 'Well I never did' or ' 'Goodness me', but I used what came first. It also kind of rhymed with Moni.

I'm so chuffed that it's generated such a response from you Dave.

After it was finished I always had the feeling that the lyrics could have been more meaningful, but I grew to like the ambiguity of them, and chose not to try alternatives.

Please feel free to forward me your own interpretation of the song's lyrics, however, I'm not sure if you want to  :)

Regards

cpm

DaveDeMann

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
Hi CPM

Well, interpretation is pretty much the issue. Any logical interpretation is not really feasible, as the lyrics currently stand.

The problem with vague meaning, is it holds less emotional power than (even if badly written) lyrics that come from the heart or  nether regions...

Less emotional power, = less engagement = less uptake.

That said, I'm a lyricist , and I suppose I take words pretty seriously, so I'm prob not speaking for the majority...

Best of luck with this song. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:10:29 PM by DaveDeMann »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
Hi Dave

This is exactly the reason why I joined this forum, to get view form other like minded artists.

What a skill being a lyricist is, respect...

I guess lyrics are only one component of the magic of a song that is liked by many, as any instrumental piece would illustrate, a Bach prelude, a Jazz number, The Hustle, Smoke on the Water...

Were it that easy to dissect a great song, then we'd all have done it by now.

I do agree with you though Dave, that a song with meaningful words is far more valuable than one that's emotionally empty, an this can be heard.

Thanks for the good luck wish.

cpm

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Crikey, I do like this track.
I'm not particularly well versed in the technical talk
and don't know if there's anything wrong with it.
But  do Rock on.
Looking forward to hearing other tracks from you.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
Crikey, I do like this track.
I'm not particularly well versed in the technical talk
and don't know if there's anything wrong with it.
But  do Rock on.
Looking forward to hearing other tracks from you.

Dear Rightly, thanks very much for listening, I really apprciate it, I abide by the rules of the forum, there will be another one coming shortly...

Vielen dank fuer dein schoenes Worte, dass freut mich sehr, die neues kommt bald.

KuhePetersiliieMann

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
Great track, reminds me of Jack Johnson, really nice vibe and some nice guitar playing, good job mate.

Mikey

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
Thanks Mikey,

Love his 'losing hope is easy' what a drummer, what production - PERFECT.
I was out for dinner when I heard it first, couldn't do anything but listen to it, my wife kept looking at me as if to say 'Are you listening to me'?

I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

cpm

Mrs.Tobi

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:32 PM »
Well, my opinion is not very relevant cause Im not a musician but the rules say I should comment so here we go: quite unusual vocal! And very well sung! Upbeat, really nice. Interesting lyrics. Congrats!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:52 AM »
Well, my opinion is not very relevant cause Im not a musician but the rules say I should comment so here we go: quite unusual vocal! And very well sung! Upbeat, really nice. Interesting lyrics. Congrats!

Thanks Mrs Tobi, very glad you commented, and that you like it.

cpm

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
Really good stuff CPM. It is a boppy little number indeed. Loved the happy, sunny vibe to this one. Can't comment on the guitar as my guitar playing is almost as bad as my baking. :) I do keep trying though, hehe. Have a nice weekend mate. Spk soon. cx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
Really good stuff CPM. It is a boppy little number indeed. Loved the happy, sunny vibe to this one. Can't comment on the guitar as my guitar playing is almost as bad as my baking. :) I do keep trying though, hehe. Have a nice weekend mate. Spk soon. cx

Caz, Thanks very much for your listening ear, if I could play guitar half as good as you sing...

I'm sure your baking is really good, I'm a happy, sunny kind of guy.

So far my weekend has been working on another song, a bit different, for me anyway...watch the work in progress page...

Hope you feel better soon

cpm