konalavadome

Oh My Golly

• 29 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »
This piece was inspired by my Wife, Moni.

It is the first thing I've recorded with a slide guitar, I've always admired Lowell George from Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt, so I thought I'd have a go...

Hope you like it, any advice/comments would be gratefully received, especially from the slide guitarists out there.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/oh-my-golly

Here's the Lyrics

Have you heard
About the word
I'm not sure if you want to

You came along
wrote this song
now I'm not sure at all.

My friend Moni
Oh my golly
you just had to come along
changed my life
became my Wife
Well that's very nice

Have you heard heard
about the word
I'm not sure if you want to
you came along
wrote this song
now I'm not sure at all.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:18:45 PM »
Really like the song man!
Happy little upbeat number, very fond of it, especially the bass and end of section accenting on the drums.
I'd say be careful with some of the drum fills though, they don't always deliver fully. Some were better than others but be sure that they're developed when you put them in. Really like the guitar solo, very fitting stylistically. The underlying slide work is very nice. Reminds me a bit of something but I can't place what. Definitely achieved that Bonnie Rait -esque vibe though. Last thing that stood out was the vocals. I'm not sure what post effects you've done on them but they feel kinda choked by the mix. I'd definitely take some of the post-processing off of them and let them breathe a little. I find with this style, from a mixing perspective, less is usually more. Up those high mids a touch and wham!
Good stuff man, been bopping along to it all morning!

:D
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
VPM,
Neat tune, had me head bopping. Good vocals and really like the second slide solo, you nail it.
My only thought would be to try and separate the vocals and the slide so they dont overlap in terms of timing and frequency as well as depth/reverb and stereo might help.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
Really like the song man!
Happy little upbeat number, very fond of it, especially the bass and end of section accenting on the drums.
I'd say be careful with some of the drum fills though, they don't always deliver fully. Some were better than others but be sure that they're developed when you put them in. Really like the guitar solo, very fitting stylistically. The underlying slide work is very nice. Reminds me a bit of something but I can't place what. Definitely achieved that Bonnie Rait -esque vibe though. Last thing that stood out was the vocals. I'm not sure what post effects you've done on them but they feel kinda choked by the mix. I'd definitely take some of the post-processing off of them and let them breathe a little. I find with this style, from a mixing perspective, less is usually more. Up those high mids a touch and wham!
Good stuff man, been bopping along to it all morning!

:D

Hi David

Thanks very much for taking a gander, I really appreciate your comments, these are just what I need to improve.

My drum fills are rather exposing, and I'll try to simplify them, when I was learning drums, my teacher said that I play them like I'm playing the guitar.

I mastered this quite a while ago, one of things I have learned since I've been on this forum is to be much more picky about the quality of what I'm doing, I imagine if people were paying for my work...rather sharpens one's focus.

I agree with your mix choking, I'm afraid I can't remember what effects I use, I'm caustious of compressors, especially if I convert to mp3, so now I'm trying to send anything new in wav format, to reduce the compressing and eq compromisies.

When mastering I try not to use any fx, I try and do that in the DAW, I experienced this with the Texas Twister (my most recent song). Yeah less is always more, but the more one works on something you more you do.

Glad your bopping, maybe I can do another slide guitar solo some time soon, I do have an idea.......

Thanks again. If you think of any more comments please let me know.

cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
VPM,
Neat tune, had me head bopping. Good vocals and really like the second slide solo, you nail it.
My only thought would be to try and separate the vocals and the slide so they dont overlap in terms of timing and frequency as well as depth/reverb and stereo might help.
 :)
neil

Thanks Neil for listening, glad you like it, I'll bear that in mind, I won't be able to remedy it just yet. I'll also wee if anyone else has any ideas...

Could it be a hair quicker?

CPM

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
This has a lovely laid back feel to it CPM. The guitar is great and the bass is nice and meaty in the background. Like the slide but thought it could be a bit more up front and with a little less reverb ?

Nice use of the stereo field as well.

A cracker  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:56:29 AM »
Sounds great. I like the pace and rhythm a lot. I think maybe the slide is a bit too low in the mix. Singing sounds great.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:30 AM »
This has a lovely laid back feel to it CPM. The guitar is great and the bass is nice and meaty in the background. Like the slide but thought it could be a bit more up front and with a little less reverb ?

Nice use of the stereo field as well.

A cracker  :)

Thanks PompeyJazz

I do like a meaty bass, I always find it very hard to get the sound right on the bass, don't know why, just one of those things really.

Glad you like the slide, I was very unsure of what I was doing at the time, I can remember laughing as I was recoding it, thinking what Bonnie Raitt would think of what I was doing! I read the tuning from the bottleneck packaging.

Thanks

cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
Sounds great. I like the pace and rhythm a lot. I think maybe the slide is a bit too low in the mix. Singing sounds great.

Thanks for listening Red Rhodie

I'll check out the levels again...glad you like my singing, I really don't have much self confidence in my voice, it was better when I was younger, I had my tonsils out a few years ago, and I noticed the tuning went off beam easier, and I couldn't get the grittiness that I used to, also the cross over band between low and high got more pronounced.

Thanks again Red

cpm

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »

I'll check out the levels again...glad you like my singing, I really don't have much self confidence in my voice, it was better when I was younger, I had my tonsils out a few years ago, and I noticed the tuning went off beam easier, and I couldn't get the grittiness that I used to, also the cross over band between low and high got more pronounced.

Thanks again Red

cpm

I'm sure I'd prefer it this way. It sounds really good.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »

Thanks again Red

cpm

I'm sure I'd prefer it this way. It sounds really good.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your comments.
cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »

Hi CPM - not my style at all really, but I did like the bluesy groove and the bass. I found the slide guitar a bit distracting in the background the verses but liked the solo.

If I'm totally honest (gulp!) I wanted the song to have a bit more to it lyrically maybe to convey a bit more what makes her special to you and how she changed your life. (But I know I over-emphasise things like that and sometimes should just let myself go with the music!)

I'll check out Bonnie Raitt anyhow to get some more context...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
A very enjoyable song.  I can imagine people this in a live setting.  Instrumentation is cool too.

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
Mmmm...sweet as a nut. Lovely vibe, great vocals and a fine, lean song. Loved the slide. The mix was a little rough but this felt just wonderful to these ears. A triumph.

M

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »

Hi CPM - not my style at all really, but I did like the bluesy groove and the bass. I found the slide guitar a bit distracting in the background the verses but liked the solo.

If I'm totally honest (gulp!) I wanted the song to have a bit more to it lyrically maybe to convey a bit more what makes her special to you and how she changed your life. (But I know I over-emphasise things like that and sometimes should just let myself go with the music!)

I'll check out Bonnie Raitt anyhow to get some more context...

Hi Adam, thanks for listening, don't worry about being honest, I'm not here to get just positive comment, just honest ones...I'm chuffed you took the time to comment on a style you're not keen on, I take that as a compliment.

About the lyrical depth, that's interesting, when I wrote it, I wanted it to be meaningless, almost to generate your response.

I do rather like the continuing guitar under the verses, as I find that it continues grow the interest for the listener, I imagine a song as additive, even if the addition is space, there needs to be something new coming along, so the listener say's 'that's different, or I didn't expect that'. I use that idea quite a bit in my songs that have a solo.

I'm sure you know Jerry Coker's saying about jazz, that it should be 50% predictable, any less and then the listener gets bored from it being too weird, and more than 50% they get bored becasue they know what's coming...I try to remember that.

Thanks again Adam.

cpm