Downloading

• 5 Replies

Katie Wilson

« on: February 11, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
I'd like to download some of my favourite tracks on here and burn CDS do I have to ask permission , I'm not planning on selling and if anyone wants a copy I'll send you one for the price of p+p - if it's not allowed I understand

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
If the song you like is on soundcloud,most folk have download disabled,so you would need to ask for permission.

Bandcamp can be set for free download or whatever the listener wishes to pay.

ITunes or Spotify is usually a set fee.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
I do wonder why most people don't allow their songs to be downloaded - is it simply because that's the default on Soundcloud? I always enable downloads and would feel honoured if someone went to the bother of burning any of my songs to CD. Unless you're pushing to go pro and the quality of your output matches your ambitions, I can't understand an alternative viewpoint.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
Probably a lot of songwriters would enjoy knowing someone likes their music enough to want to burn it and keep it. There's no way of knowing for sure who would and who wouldn't, though, so I think it would be best to ask permission for each song. Then (1) the songwriter knows someone wants the song (which is always nice to know) and (2) the listener doesn't have to wonder if the songwriter would be annoyed if s/he found out. Just to be courteous, I try to remember always to ask before I use someone else's song in any way--whether performing it or copying it, burning it, whatever.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:35:28 AM »
Thanks what I'll do I just make a list of what I like and message people , some of the stuff on here is Terriffic
I've only been on here a while and I've already got a play list on soundcloud and to have someone use your lyrics is amazing

Katie xxx

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
I do wonder why most people don't allow their songs to be downloaded - is it simply because that's the default on Soundcloud? I always enable downloads and would feel honoured if someone went to the bother of burning any of my songs to CD. Unless you're pushing to go pro and the quality of your output matches your ambitions, I can't understand an alternative viewpoint.

Well, on youtube, if you get enough plays you can start getting paid (advertising revenue). Obviously doesn't work if the user downloads the song. Don't know about soundcloud.
I'd agree that if you are just in it for fun (or even if you are just starting out and want to spread your music), turning on downloads can be good.

But then again:
Making people come back to soundcloud/youtube/wherever to hear your music is a good way of:
- Getting them to listen to another of your songs
- Seeing how many plays different songs are getting

Personally, I stream everything (or own a vinyl...the 2 extremes! :D ) so don't see any need to download anything, especially given the capability of pretty much every music website to let you make playlists.

Anyway, quick plug: If you fancy a CD (retro :D) of our EP, I'll happily send you one for free :D