Do you write what you like or what you think people will like?

• 14 Replies

kingforaday

• Busker
    • Snakeoil Salesmen
« on: January 21, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
I had an odd realisation recently, which is probably really obvious to most... but...

I write songs that I would want to listen to.

I noticed it when listening back over some stuff I'd recorded 5 years ago - as once I've finished something i very rarely return to it. I listened to the tracks and enjoyed them and thought (with a smug self satisfied smile on my face) "this is some pretty good stuff"

and then it hit me... I like it because I'm writing music that I would want to hear. So I end up writing/recording music, that would appeal to a very specific group of people, who are into the same weird mix of things that I am... and to be honest there can't be that many out there.

It's got me wondering if that's normal/standard? or if there are people out there intentionally writing music to have a broader appeal? Or thinking, "what do people like to hear" while writing?

I've seen a couple of references on here to people wanting to write a 'hit' so I guess they must be out there, I'm just curious to hear different peoples takes on it.

So yeah, do you write music to please you or please the masses?

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
Hi, I'm pretty sure I fall into the same category and that's why I never try to write anything commercial as I almost never listen to pop music or hit music [except when subjected to it in the car by my daughter!]. So if I'm not writing for mass consumption I must be doing it for my own pleasure which means there's probably a narrow band of possible consumers are available to me, which I guess is right. I listen to a wide range of music which doesn't usually conform to the structures,arrangements,styles etc of what would be considered 'hit' music, and therefore that is likely to be influential on what I try to write.............
Cheers
Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
In the words of the late, great Ricky Nelson:

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself".

M

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
I don't think I do either. Haha. I try to keep an open mind and go with the flow. Usually I like it in the end, but there are some that I don't. For me, the fun is in the process. If other people like the result, that's the cherry on the cream on the top 😉.

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
A few years ago I did try writing songs for other people, in styles that weren't naturally mine, in attempts to get them placed with known artists, but it never worked out. I think that was because they could sound a bit forced and unnatural, maybe (or maybe just weren't good enough!).

So I now write songs that I like, to please me - and if others like them too that is a bonus!

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:04 PM »
Like most of the others, I write what I want to listen to. Unless you're intending on a career in music, I think that's the only way to go. I do actually listen to my own music more than any commercial artist. Even if everyone else hated what I do, I still wouldn't change.

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
I would find it impossible to write a song for Justin Bieber, if that's what you're asking.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
I see no way to determinate quality if you in no way like what you're writing. It would be hard for me to write a carp song because I believe someone or a lot of people will 'dig' it. But if I look at the menu at my local pizza place I wonder if it's an obligatory rule.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
I write what I find interesting, satisfying and enjoyable to write. Usually that's also something I would like to listen to - 95% of the time probably. But don't underestimate the power of what you like. If it was no good, you wouldn't like it! And that means there are other people out there who will like it.

Remember, the main contributing factor to how many people like pop music is the amount of promotion and radio play it receives. If Ed Sheeran wasn't on the radio and TV every 5 minutes, he wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:48:32 AM »
Write the song that only you can write. If other like it then that's a bonus.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:59:48 AM »
I write what I think people won’t like  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »
I write what I think people won’t like  :)

How do you measure success? By how many people like it, or by how many people don't like it? ;)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
I write stuff I'm capable of playing, and singing. Hugely frustrating, as I am much more limited than I'd like to be. E.g., I sometimes can imagine a drum part, but I can't program it, or I imagine a guitar solo I can't actually play, or I need to sing a harmony which is too high for me.

A downside to being a one man band!

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
I write for myself and hope that other people like it.
I'm not a gun for hire so, until I am, I'm not gonna worry about anybody but me.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
Always write what comes into my head. If I don't like it then I won't put anyone else ears through that!

cpm