konalavadome

Too Slick to Drive

• 23 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:42:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

Sometimes writing songs takes you places you've never been, and that's what happened here. I'm not exactly sure how, a wrong turn perhaps, but we ended up stranded at Niagara Falls. Making the most of it,  we went ice skating, and to the carnival, and spun around til we got dizzy. It was fun, at first.

Hope you enjoy our little trip. Thanks for listening, and feedback is always appreciated.

Lynn, Dave and Keith

Listen to and Hull Soul Collective Too Slick Too Drive by faraway my lovely #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/and-hull-soul-collective-too-slick-too-drive

Too Slick to Drive

Niagara Falls
We were sleeping in the halls
It was too slick to drive
We were on black ice

It seemed fun at first, yeah

Becky came to stay
It seemed like a holiday
Like we were there just to play

It was too slick to drive
We were on black ice

Niagara Falls
We were climbing the walls
There was nothing in the halls

It seemed fun at first
It seemed fun at first

Yeah

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
A very atmospheric piece once again guys. I got driving music vibes. Vocals are great, slightly trippy and love the weird synth stuff going on as well. Good stuff  :)

Robbie S

• Busker
    • Six Months To Write A Hit Record
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »

Good day,

Good tune, spacey,  and interesting story. Is it a true story?

Like the arrangement...

In terms of the mix my personal taste would be to lower the keyboards and raise the vocals up more.

I'd like to hear a bit more drums too.

Well done.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »
Cool spacey vibe and interesting lyrics. I would agree to pull back just a little on the synth volume, as I think this would enhance the mix.

Kevin

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Very trippy.. 8) 8) strange but quite original use of the synth strings..maybe a bit to hi in the mix but, hey, maybe not :) they make the song what it is...your vox always sounds good and sort of..vintage, if you catch my drift...like you've got a time machine and you've just popped in from the sixties... 8)

always interesting!

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »
Hi RedRoadie

Love the title, I thought it was about a big american car that was all polished up on the forecourt, chrome all a shiny, only 10,000 bucks with whitewall tyres...and cheesy sales guy steps on his freshly lit cigarette, spits out the flakes of tobacco and leans down to you and says, "What you looking at Kid, this baby is too slick to drive"...

I'll take a listen

cpm

Katie Wilson

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
I wasn't sure at first but enjoyed it once I'd listened to it a bit longer, I dont know about music but I think if you take on board some of the other guys comments it will improve the general mix
Some bits in there that I really like though

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
Nice job Red.

I love the idea.

I have to agree with the others about the strings level in the mix, and maybe put some reverb and a hint of delay on the vocals.

Paints a vivid picture, and love the photo

cpm

DaveDeMann

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »
the vocals seem like a cross between Cinda Lauper and Beth Gibbons of Portishead, but without the vocal resonance or power. I don't know if that's because of the song's pacing, or if it's an intentional technique to add an abstract, disjointed feel, but for me, it didn't hold, and became disengaging.

Lyrically and musically interesting. Maybe experiment more with a mix of vocal styles and another female who is alto or a tenor range male.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:00:03 AM by DaveDeMann »

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 07:34:43 AM »
I was listening.....wondering what was going on that I couldn't quite get a hold on...then it came to me.....something that wasn't going on....no bass!

It enhances the floating on air feeling....or sliding around on the ice...and gives it a flying rather than driving feel which is fine! Driven by the synth in fact...which may be a tad loud but is great

Liked the break at 1.45 which must be your carnival trip....felt like I was indeed spinning circles on the ice.....

I wonder about introducing the bass....(somebody wake that bass player up!) after that instrumental section....a bit of traction for the drive home. It would add something different to the song at that point too where it needs it...or maybe needs it depending on your way of thinkin'....

Enjoyed the ride anyway.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
This is a triumph for me. It could easily not have worked, but you've pulled off a great hypnotic piece of music. I was totally seduced at 2.23 with the "Niagra Falls" bit. I don't normally suggest extending a song but I actually thought it ended a bit early. You could have developed it a bit more. Either way it's still a really impressive listen.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the comments much appreciated. I admit I missed the lack of a bass line but for me the song was about a loss of control and I always associated the bass with solid ground. I'll think about the production suggestions but I'm tempted to leave it as it is. That may change in a week or so though.

Thanks again for the comments,

Keith

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
Hi All,

Interesting shift at 1.45 - really adds to the slightly tripped out feel.
I think the vocals contrast well with the music - gives a sort of "clinging on" feel, like it's not totally linked to the music, but not totally adrift from it. A fine balance.
The lack of bass perhaps adds to that.

Different and cool.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Really liked the atmosphere you created and vocals have that quite compelling sound as always. I'd have to say for me I found it a bit lacking in melodic adventure so perhaps not my fave of yours but I did appreciate the lowfi vibe...

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 04:49:58 PM »
Thanks PJ. So glad you liked the trip!

RobbieS, Yup, in my head it was. Haha.

Thanks for the advice kevysc. We'll take that into consideration.

Shadowfax, yeah, can't help my vintage sound. I know you understand that!

Katie, thanks for giving it a chance.

cpm, thanks so much. The picture is a vintage postcard. We used to collect old Niagara Falls souvenirs.

DaveDaMann, I'll take that as a compliment although I don't think you meant it that way.

Viscount Kramer, sounds like you got it. Like a ride you can't get off of. Fun at first, then you puke. Haha.

Wow mickyplankton, I really appreciate that. You must be fun.

Digger, you always are so with it. The music came first, and the lyrics were improvised. It was originally a completely different song. Clinging on is exactly what happened when we decided we couldn't let it go, but it wasn't right in it's original form.

Thanks Adam. I always appreciate your insight and your ability to comment even when things aren't your cup of tea. Cheers.

Thanks again everyone.

Lynn