Poll

Should The 2 Week Rule Apply To The Lyrics Forum?

Yes
12 (42.9%)
No
16 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Should The 2 Week Rule Apply To The Lyrics Forum?

• 51 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Hi All

In preparation for the website upgrade and refresh of the rules I wanted to get some opinions on whether we should extend the "only post 1 song every 2 weeks" to the lyrics board

This would have the advantage of making the rules very simple - ie you can only post one song every two weeks in the FINISHED SONGS, WORK IN PROGRESS, and LYRICS boards

The rule applies to each board independently so you can still post a song in each forum

I think this would help with the consistency and application of the rule - as well as slow things down to encourage members to review others whilst they wait to post their next song

I am keen to get a general consensus, especially from those that frequent and contribute to the LYRICS forum more than I do

Thanks

Boydie
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
I’d say yes. To me, it makes sense to keep things consistent across the forum.

I’m not sure how valuable my opinion is though, since I’m not likely to contribute much to the board. That’s just because I rarely begin the writing process with lyrics.

Something else you mention caught my eye though... Website upgrade? Is there a thread where I can find out more?

Cheers

Matt

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
Something else you mention caught my eye though... Website upgrade? Is there a thread where I can find out more?

There sure is:

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14574.0

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »
It may not be necessary in the lyrics section..does it get congested like the finished songs section?
I don't know, I don't go there but if it's jogging along fine without issues why fix it if it aint broken :) :)...
I didn't vote because I don't know enough about the lyrics section to make a decision..

best, Kevin :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:58:16 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
Boydie
I'm with Kevin, its never really been an issue as far as I can see as there are less users on that thread. We'd want to get enough traffic to make it vibrant and a responsive thread. Clearly on Finished songs there are lots of new posts so it needs to be managed so everyone one gets a fair shot.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
I'm not pushed either way but one thing that might be worth taking into account is that a lyric is likely to take less time to write and post that a WIP or finished song. I guess on that basis there might be a case for having a time limit but making it shorter, so for example one week instead of two. Of course the drawback here is that it discards uniformity across the threads and it doesn't tackle congestion as effectively, although if the issue isn't as pressing at present the relevance of the last point might be lessened.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
I'm not pushed either way but one thing that might be worth taking into account is that a lyric is likely to take less time to write and post that a WIP or finished song. I guess on that basis there might be a case for having a time limit but making it shorter, so for example one week instead of two. Of course the drawback here is that it discards uniformity across the threads and it doesn't tackle congestion as effectively, although if the issue isn't as pressing at present the relevance of the last point might be lessened.

I would agree with this, 2 weeks feels too long. From my frequent to the area there's only a handful of core users who really indulge and get along with each other very well - would be a shame to penalise those who already maintain a friendly and constructive environment.

I think the issue comes with newbies who haven't quite integrated or grasped the etiquette yet - but so far that feels infrequent enough in Lyrics that a friendly 'calm down' would be more beneficial.

If the new version of the forum starts attracting masses of new members then a formal rule could benefit - but doing so pre-emptive may be damaging.

All the best,
Scott

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
I read the lyric section,but rarely post,so my observations will be less valid than those who regularly contribute.

As Sing4me88 says,the chances are,a lyric will take less time than the rest of the song,so on the surface a week is a fair rule of thumb. This is not to denigrate in any way the fine lyricists we have on the forum. I know sometimes words can be agonised over for much longer periods.

Another point worth considering is,a lot of musicians find it easy to compose,but finding meaningful lyrics takes longer and can be more troublesome. To my mind it's a bad thing to discourage any member who may be lyrically 'on a flow' and force them to fit into a set template all of the time. What I'm saying is,rather than a strict rule,a quiet word with someone may work better for the forum.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »
Personally I don't think it's necessary in the lyrics section.  It would stifle development and I think we've rarely had issues with it so I would say, leave it as it is

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
I only raised it as there was a recent discussion about certain members (mainly newbies) posting lots of lyrics in the lyrics section - and some were very criticising of the forum/mods for letting it happen

I am therefore looking for the consensus of opinion - we either have no restriction on the lyrics board or a limit

It is unfair to criticise new members (or mods) if the guidelines are not being broken

I am happy either way but wanted to get a feel for whether it is an issue or not for people

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
I only raised it as there was a recent discussion about certain members (mainly newbies) posting lots of lyrics in the lyrics section - and some were very criticising of the forum/mods for letting it happen

I am therefore looking for the consensus of opinion - we either have no restriction on the lyrics board or a limit

It is unfair to criticise new members (or mods) if the guidelines are not being broken

I am happy either way but wanted to get a feel for whether it is an issue or not for people

Ay you can't please everyone, but asking our collective opinion certainly goes a long way :)

Maybe a more formal, informal way to to raise grievances would be a reaonable approach. Mods have always been quick to reply and action quitely whenever I have raised concerns, yet the 'go to'  is often creating a thread where escalation spirals.

Clearer guidlines for instances where rules aren't broken but people are concerned maybe? Though I fear going off-topic. xD

Cheers,
Scott.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »
IMHO a limit would be a good idea for consistency across the boards, and it does seem to have caused tension on that board at least twice in my 10 months here,
Don’t reckon you’re goona get that concensus Boydie!
Looking forward to the new site, whatever the rules are.
It's all too beautiful.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:24:17 PM »
I think that a one week rule is fair , I love posting on here especially when someone can make use of my lyrics  , I've calmed down a bit now I think after my initial excitement - but after 2 weeks I'm chomping at the bit to share my lyrics

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
I vote to implement the 2 week rule.  Make the rules consistent between finished songs, Works in progress and lyrics. 

Paul

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »
I would have thought a week for lyrics would be fine. It's an instant appraisal rather than having to click and listen so more likely to be done there and then whereas the song threads may be looked at then put aside temporarily (or permanently) for lack of time, so a slower moving page is more important there.

I don't see why it has to be the same across the board.

Since nobody reads the guidelines why don't you just say in the forum sub-headings 'One post per whatever' instead of PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES .....or even say both....

And finally, which is not quite what you were asking, I think Finished Songs should be one per month...it moves too fast and too many are posting BANG like clockwork on the fortnight. It does my head in.

You could have a second Finished Songs bit called 'Finished Songs Express' for those who want to post more where you can post as much as you like and then pick and choose which one you want to post to 'Finished Songs Normal'
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer