konalavadome

Tryptamine

• 9 Replies

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« on: February 05, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm back after a long absence (house moving, musician drama etc...)

Here's a little instrumental number I've been working on. It's the first time I've ever used MIDI for anything, so I'd be curious to see what you guys think. Also, should I add vocals to this, or leave it as an instrumental track?

Thanks all! :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-534764711/tryptamine
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »
Personally, I think it's beautiful. The MIDI is very tasteful - not too in your face. It compliments the guitar well, and just adds an extra little dimension. I assume that the guitar is real? Anyway, that's where the magic is. The sound so deliciously chunky, I could take a bite out of it.

Re, instrumental/vocals, only you can answer that really. I believe that it works very well as it is. I could definitely see it as an album track in its current state. Something to bridge the gap between 2 vocal tracks.

Saying that, it can't hurt trying to put vocals over it, and seeing if anything stands out.

Best of luck!

Matt

Robbie S

• Busker
    • Six Months To Write A Hit Record
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »

Hi

It sounds wonderful, v subtle midi keyboards in the background. The music really grabs you in a
 thoughtful melancholy way. I think its desperate for a vocal and melody, I can hear stuff in my head.

It seems a bit short at the moment, do you have any other parts?

Nice job, you should move house more often, ha!

Robbie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
I tend to be biased in favor of songs with lyrics, so I would nearly always say, "Yes! Add lyrics." And that's my answer. It also seems a little too short. I like it and would like to hear it developed into a full song, with or without lyrics.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
I havent got any more parts to it yet, but I'd certainly like to try some ideas out :D
I'm stilla bit crap at knowing how best to use midi, I'm on very basic software and such so i'm very limited! But still, small steps!
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
I think it's great as it is. Perhaps just a little bit too relaxing.
Maybe a poem that could be read by the listener.

Marcus Deso

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:12 AM »
Man if this is an acoustic - I'd mic it up for the extra naturalness.. I can hear the pickup bleed a little in places so makes me think it's a semi plugged in directly.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:35 AM »
@Marscus Deo - It's actually both, direct line in on a Gibson J100 and miced at the same time in stereo :)
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Marcus Deso

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:49 AM »
what's the mic you're using??  I can hear the pickup on the bass and it's very slight.  Maybe dial down the direct line mix a little and play with it that way... unless you don't want so much acoustic lol

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
Hi David

Really nice vibe going on here, I agree with some of the other comments posted here, you Gibson would really benefit from mic'ing it up rather than DI.

Personally if you put Vox on it,  maybe just a couple of lines, something like "Don't have time to do much", then pause "See you 'round sometime", that's all,  maybe spoken. I hear a slide acoustic solo in there somewhere...

MIDI is such a mystical place, I avoided it for years, but then I dived in an it's kinda useful now. Good luck.

cpm