Where The Wild Garlic Grows

• 25 Replies

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
This is a fantastic song. The percussion was a lovely extra touch. You really captured the swing dance rhythm of traditional Irish music. ‘Where the wild garlic grows’ is an excellent line, and the perfect title. The story of lovers parting, due to war, is a timeless tale, that works nicely.

Honestly, If you were to tell me that this was traditional Irish anthem, I’d be none the wiser. It damn-near perfect!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:59 PM »
Aye, this I like. Loads. I'm a sucker for trad Irish music and this is right on the money. Your voice really shines in this. Agree with  MjayP, this could very well be a trad Irish Anthem (said the Swede!  ;D).  One minor thing, to me it lacks a little of the energy I would expect. Not sure if it is the  the percussive parts that are held back a tad to much in the mix or if I was expecting a slightly higher tempo. But, minor thing indeed, fab work, well done!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
Hi Alan, nicely constructed seamless song and performance. Catchy chorus.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
Love the percussion on this - what different elements have you used?
There were a few timing errors which detracted a bit, but generally very nice

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
Hi Alan,

I'm more of a black garlic person. (Lovely flavour)  :D

Captures a really nice traditional feel.
Bright and breezy. Gives off a warmth that fights off the winter view through my window.

All very well played and quality vocal.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
If you put "trad." after this it wouldn't feel out of place at all (except perhaps the Summer heat - no sure how many Irish songs there are about that!). In v1 it took me a while to get into the rhythm - though I don't think anything was out of time (except my ears). Great to hear Bruce on a real "pub" instrument as well. Really captured an authentic sounding feel. I'd rather listen to this any day than that god-awful Galway Girl abomination... (though someone from Galway actually told me they were quite into it... heyho...)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 03:03:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

It's thank you time:-)

I really tried to create something authentic sounding with this and it seems that I managed that so I'm pleased.

Hi Alan,

I'm more of a black garlic person. (Lovely flavour)  :D

Captures a really nice traditional feel.
Bright and breezy. Gives off a warmth that fights off the winter view through my window.

All very well played and quality vocal.

Digger

Thanks Digger - that was the effect I was aiming for.

Love the percussion on this - what different elements have you used?
There were a few timing errors which detracted a bit, but generally very nice

The percussion is a Bodhran which is the traditional skin-over-a-hoop instrument used in Irish music. I don't hear any timing issues and neither has anyone else so you must have a very accurate internal clock.

Hi Alan, nicely constructed seamless song and performance. Catchy chorus.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

Aye, this I like. Loads. I'm a sucker for trad Irish music and this is right on the money. Your voice really shines in this. Agree with  MjayP, this could very well be a trad Irish Anthem (said the Swede!  ;D).  One minor thing, to me it lacks a little of the energy I would expect. Not sure if it is the  the percussive parts that are held back a tad to much in the mix or if I was expecting a slightly higher tempo. But, minor thing indeed, fab work, well done!

Hi,

Yes, I guess the Bodhran could be higher in the mix but I think the pace is about right. The lyrics would have been quite a squeeze at a higher tempo! I'm pleased that you thought it could be a traditional Irish anthem - that was the idea.

This is a fantastic song. The percussion was a lovely extra touch. You really captured the swing dance rhythm of traditional Irish music. ‘Where the wild garlic grows’ is an excellent line, and the perfect title. The story of lovers parting, due to war, is a timeless tale, that works nicely.

Honestly, If you were to tell me that this was traditional Irish anthem, I’d be none the wiser. It damn-near perfect!

Thank you - your comments made me go all warm and gooey inside.

Hi Alan,

You've captured the mood very well with this one. Lovely melody and singalong quality. I can imagine listening to this sitting next to a log fire swilling down some black velvety stuff  :)

Thanks. I'm partial to a pint of that as well but it only really tastes right in Ireland :-(

Alan,
Lovely tune with simple but effective accompaniment.
Lyrics and vocals all working as one.
Accomplished.
 :)
neil

Thanks Neil - coming from the arrangement and musical setting king that's a big compliment.

Yo Alan.

On hols in the oul sod were ye? I don't recall being asked for permission,but I'll let it fly this time.  ;)

It's a lovely,lilting song man and Bruce the Oz does very well on the Melojin! (Norn Iron speak)

The old bodhran thumps along there to great effect.

A very pleasing song Alan.  8)

Thanks Skub. I hope you enjoy the album it's taken from.

Really nice. Loved the percussion as it built up and your melody/vocals all fit together beautifully. A very sweet song. Fine bit 'o guitar and a lovely outro too. (And i now know what ending on a tonic means :)
Wonderful stuff. cx

I'm not sure what the tonic note is without looking it up. I think it's the root of the chord but don't quote me. Thanks for the lovely commments.

Hi matey,

This is nice, Folky, Instrumentation fits together nice, Like your vocal too.

Nice chill out tune, for me a "headphones on and kick back on a summers day" tune.

Great work.

Really pleased you like it - that's what I write for.

Lovely tune, and I also liked the accordion/concertina part. The recording quality is good as well and I can hear all the parts clearly.
I'm not very familiar with this type of music, but I liked your song very much.

Thank you Larsen. My mate did a lovely job with the concertina. That was take 1!

Really pretty. Love the percussion, and all the music. Your voice is sweet and smooth. It's like melt in your mouth chocolate. Haha. The lyrics are great. You nailed it.

Thanks so much.

First up. Top marks Monty for the title. Where the Wild Garlic Grows is the best title for a song ive come across in a long time. This alone is so evocative and lets face it,  Garlic has been criminally under represented by songwriters over the years!

The song itself does not disappoint. You have done the subject and the inspiration for it justice. You took a risk with the ever so soft drums there too as you needed to get the balance perfect for it to work and it does. so in my view, very skilled work .

That title came from a place in the my village where we walk the dog and it's next to a stream, very shady and damp. Every spring the hedge banks are covered with wild garlic.

Excellent work mate! U successfully painted a pretty picture in my head. ;D

Lovely performance! It’s great fun trying different styles. Good on ya!

Hi. Yes, I'm trying to spread my wings a bit and try different styles rather than sticking to the same genre. Watch this space.

This is a lovely song , lovely beat and melody , a foot tapper for me , would definetly dance and swirl my skirt to this xxxx

Thanks Katie. Enjoy the album!

Once again, many thanks to all who took the time to comment - working in a vacuum is a pretty thankless task.

Best wishes

M

montydog

• Stadium Tour
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »
Beautiful song with lyric and music well suited to each other. I like how it ends hanging instead of on the tonic...illustrates how he is left in limbo.

You likely already know my thoughts on clear enunciation, so I won't belabor those two little instances (treatchoo right, atchore breast).  ;) Otherwise all well and nicely done. Sweet/sad mellow sound to match the mood of the song.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki. As a perveyor as the finest of melodies yourself, I'll take that as a big compliment indeed.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Spot on Alan..lovely mood captured...

Thanks Kevin. A little different to our collab!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
Ah, wild garlic. Nature’s pungent bounty. Makes a lovely pesto. One of my fave things to do in the spring is go out in the woods with a basket and forage it (yep, I’m man enough to skip around carrying whicker).
All of which has nothing to do with your song. Sorry.
The song is lovely - a piece of trad Ralph McTell-esque folk. I liked the percussion a lot (what is it? A bodhran?) and like Vicki said the surprise resolution at the end was a delight. Nicely sung and (in this case) I like the way you don’t over emote and try to sound heartbroken or anything. Top stuff.

Hi,
Yes, it's a Bodhran and the resolution was really just the way that sounded right. I don't know what I'm doing!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
I've been instructed by my wife to inform you that this song has a lovely atmosphere...reminds her of when we were in Ireland..we've played it in the Jeep a few times now..always nice!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!