This Is a Love Song demo

• 8 Replies

MjayP

• Busker
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »
I’ve been working on this song the past couple of days. It started life as an outro to another song, but I felt there was enough there to give it a life of its own.

https://soundcloud.com/mjp1234/this-is-a-love-song

I still need to do the vocals properly. I didn’t even use a mic for these, just my phone. The performance isn’t great, but will definitely give you an idea. Also, I may add some extra lyrics for the second verse.

I do wonder if it goes on too long? Should I shorten it? Personally I’m a big fan of long fade-out songs. The kind of track you might hear at the end of an album. So I’d actually consider making it longer! :D

These are the lyrics:

This is a love song for an Earth I barely know.
This is a love song cause to say it is too complicated.
This is a love song for a city I call home.
This is a love song, and I am running.

Whatever feedback you can provide will be massively appreciated.

Regards

Matt

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
The attack on the piano is a bit too harsh...I guess it's midi - is there a way to tone it down?

I like the way it builds and the rhythm of the bass, its really cool.

Do you have any capabilities to drop some of the midi instruments for really ones (keys and bass maybe?). I think that would give it a more natural and less robotic feel in places

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ramshackles. Yeah, a lot of midi unfortunately. I can look into lowering the velocity. I currently use a basic music production app on my phone. If I were to record it professionally, I’d definitely want proper keys and bass. Haven’t quite got the budget for a string section though  :D

I’m especially glad you liked the bass rhythm.

Thanks again!

Katie Wilson

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
Hi I thought that it was a nice song xxx

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »
Thank you Katie!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »
Yo MjayP,welcome to the forum.

Cool song. I can hear it done simply or with a big Pet Shop Boys type production. The bass line triggers that era with me...kinda like a happier sounding New Order!

Look forward to hearing how it progresses.  :)

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
Yo MjayP,welcome to the forum.

Cool song. I can hear it done simply or with a big Pet Shop Boys type production. The bass line triggers that era with me...kinda like a happier sounding New Order!

Look forward to hearing how it progresses.  :)

Thank you, Skub!

I've been listening to a lot of 80s synth pop lately, so am not surprised that some has crept into this. Funny that you mentioned simple/big production because last night I was fiddling around with a stripped down version on the acoustic guitar.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
What I could hear of the song I liked. I couldn't listen to the whole thing, unfortunately. My &#%!* connection kept buffering (even on SoundCloud! I mean, what's up with that??!), so I finally gave up. But, anyway, it's definitely worth (in my opinion) putting the work into to spiff it up.

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
What I could hear of the song I liked. I couldn't listen to the whole thing, unfortunately. My &#%!* connection kept buffering (even on SoundCloud! I mean, what's up with that??!), so I finally gave up. But, anyway, it's definitely worth (in my opinion) putting the work into to spiff it up.

Thank you, CaliaMoko! I appreciate you trying to fight the buffering. Apparently, half of the population refuse to wait longer than 3 seconds for a website to load (they obviously don't remember the 90s), so you're alright in my book!