konalavadome

Best Mic placement for recording Acoustic guitar?

• 20 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »
I record guitar in our bathroom
Aren't you worried that the sound will be too wet? *gets coat*

Each mic is recorded to it's own channel....then i can mix the room sound and guitar as I wish.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
Sure, just recorded a quick doodle for you.

ORTF

XY Pair

If you are interested I could also do a spaced pair and mid-side example (if I can find the time).

Not saying stereo is best though, I also like a single mic toward the 12th fret if it calls for it...

Thanks very much indeed Mr Shackles, I'll take a listen today, that's really good of you to do that.

cpm

Hi

Thanks for the samples, nice playing, what guitar is it?

Both sounded great to my ears, did you record them as stereo or 2 mono channels? and did you keep the pan as recorded?

Thanks

cpm

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

ORTF

XY Pair

If you are interested I could also do a spaced pair and mid-side example (if I can find the time).

Not saying stereo is best though, I also like a single mic toward the 12th fret if it calls for it...

Thanks very much indeed Mr Shackles, I'll take a listen today, that's really good of you to do that.

cpm

Hi

Both sounded great to my ears, did you record them as stereo or 2 mono channels? and did you keep the pan as recorded?

Thanks

cpm

The guitar is a mid-range one.. a Yamaha one - maybe an FGX something or over? (lots of numbers..ill take a look tonight). I dream of a Guild or a Martin. My 'great guitar' money jar is only about 1/3 of the way there.

I recorded them to separate mono channels so no 'pan' on the raw recording. I then panned L & R.
You could just record to a stereo channel but I generally don't for 2 reasons:

- I can correct any level differences. With both setups, you have 1 mic pointed more towards the sound hole and 1 mic pointed more towards the nut. I try to match up in the preamp but am generally about 2-3 db out.

- I can correct any phase differences. Generally not a problem with X/Y or ORTF, but a spaced pair can sometimes be slightly out of phase

In a mix I would generally either then bump them down to a single stereo track or route them to a stereo subgroup.

ORTF has, to me, a much wider stereo image. It's probably more obvious with headphones on.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:37:06 AM »

ORTF

XY Pair

cpm

Hi

Thanks

cpm

The guitar is a mid-range one.. a Yamaha one - maybe an FGX something or over? (lots of numbers..ill take a look tonight). I dream of a Guild or a Martin. My 'great guitar' money jar is only about 1/3 of the way there.

I recorded them to separate mono channels so no 'pan' on the raw recording. I then panned L & R.
You could just record to a stereo channel but I generally don't for 2 reasons:

- I can correct any level differences. With both setups, you have 1 mic pointed more towards the sound hole and 1 mic pointed more towards the nut. I try to match up in the preamp but am generally about 2-3 db out.

- I can correct any phase differences. Generally not a problem with X/Y or ORTF, but a spaced pair can sometimes be slightly out of phase

In a mix I would generally either then bump them down to a single stereo track or route them to a stereo subgroup.

ORTF has, to me, a much wider stereo image. It's probably more obvious with headphones on.

Thanks, that's really interesting, I used to have an FG 160 years ago, it was a great strummer.

Which one would you go for when your pot is full? Martin or Guild?

I just bought a valve preamp for the mics.

Which cans do you use? I found that makes a big difference, if you listen to Special v2 and v3 I'm constantly panning things too wide, as the sound stage in my cans is very wide.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/special-2018v3

I think v2 is just below it in my track listing.

It's exactly the same recording, (XY mics) just EQ'd a bit differently a bit of 'verb, and the mic's panned a bit closer, can you hear the difference? which one do you prefer?

Thanks for the advice.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »

Thanks, that's really interesting, I used to have an FG 160 years ago, it was a great strummer.

Which one would you go for when your pot is full? Martin or Guild?

I just bought a valve preamp for the mics.

Which cans do you use? I found that makes a big difference, if you listen to Special v2 and v3 I'm constantly panning things too wide, as the sound stage in my cans is very wide.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/special-2018v3

I think v2 is just below it in my track listing.

It's exactly the same recording, (XY mics) just EQ'd a bit differently a bit of 'verb, and the mic's panned a bit closer, can you hear the difference? which one do you prefer?

Thanks for the advice.

Hmm guitars, I don't know, other than probably a dreadnought style. I'd need to play one, research them etc. I do a lot of finger picking with alternate tunings and capos so my main worry is getting one that is gonna cope...the yamaha can start having a bit of fret buzz when tuning to open D and putting a capo on for instance, so it needs to have great action.

SpecialV2 definitely has more width, it stays out of the vocals way more, in fact I think on that version you could do with lowering the vox volume a tad. Couldn't say which I prefer as I have just listened on buds so far and really, it doesn't make that much difference to the listening experience...

My headphones are Sony MDR-7510, which are decent enough. I mostly mix with monitors though; Adam A7X

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:44 AM »
Thanks for the listen.

For what it's worth, a Martin, Guild, Lowden or Gibson won't let you down, the action is always good, you shouldn't get fret buzz, I tried all sorts when I was fortunate to look for one, I tend to try the top and bottom of the range to see what the difference is and if that seemed worth it, When I tried the MArtin D45 against the D1, I preferred the D1, the sound was less boomy/tinny, and definately less blingy.

The guilds are great, but I went for a Gibson J130, just my sound, and sound good both strummed and finger picked.

Fitted a K&K pure western pickup & Preamp (I asked Ralph McTell what he uses, and that's his answer)

Funny, some people have criticised the width on v2!!!

cpm