konalavadome

FAWM - Area for songs, discussion and therapy!!!

• 60 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
Paul, I've got a couple of instrumentals I can bung you if you think it's remotely worth while. It's a harsh place for sure and to be fair if I've learned anything from it , it's that I don't enjoy writing like that. I see Silver is still smashing it up though  ;)

Thanks, John  :)

I think I’ll be ok...but if i’m struggling, I know where to come!

Very kind of you

Paul

ps here's number ten (2 were lyrics-only)...I just finished and uploaded it...

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/publish-and-be-droned

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:36:43 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
Hi guys!

I'll take some time to listen to your tracks tomorrow.
I've taken a step back in FAWM. It started to feel a bit pointless. But I've learned a lot.
@pompeyjazz I've listened to the track you refer to and it might be fun. I have no idea what's going on at bbc4 but I think I get the picture. I'll listen again and see what comes to mind.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
@Martinswede  we get loads of Scandinavian drama on Saturday nights. Lots of it Swedish.  Bron,  Beck, Wallander , Modus,  Before we die, all great stuff and some great characters

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
Well...I didn't really know what the Whisky Tango Foxtrot I was doing with this one...I heard a free female vocal sample singing "all the things you love" and liked it...so...I made a synth-y thing in the session band EDM iPhone app and transferred it into GarageBand ...then added Omar Hakim drums and rattled off a bassline and guitar track. Then I got stuck. So I just went overboard with the one vocal line. I had some other free samples so I whacked them into the breakdown part and managed to get number 11 done

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
John (Pompeyjazz) and Silver Machine recently posted some great guitar instrumentals for FAWM...so I thought I'd have a crack at one of those...not really my strong suit...but I whacked up the tempo and tried to give it a "love song" / "ace of spades" damned/motorhead kind of mayhem vibe.

Whilst doing it, I think there might be a song in there too..so will maybe look at getting some lyrics going soon. Off to a gig this afternoon...so that's me done for today.

Not much further to go now...good luck to everyone.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Here's the guitar instrumental which is a Shadows / Surf rip off

I called it "Wonderful (G)land" in tribute to the shads but one guy on FAWM actually thought that I'd written it about the adrenal gland  ;D  ;D ;D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
That was a hoot, John  ;D

I just put together a cheesy Eurovision Song Contest style backing to a somewhat exaggerated and paranoid set of lyrics I wrote about the European Union. Used the Mac Narrator function again. I'm just about done now...my head's in bits somewhat...but I'm nearly over the line.

It's meant to be reminiscent of the old 1970's Public Information Films. But probably isn't.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:55 PM »
After a couple of crocks...I added lyrics to the instrumental I tried to do...as it never had enough to stand up on it's own...and I found myself singing this tune over it even as I was finishing recording it...that's 14 officially done...though I hope to post another one as I'm short of the full 14 words and music goal I was hoping for...got a couple more on the go but looks like I'm going to run out of time...we'll see...

it's 245bpm. That's quite fast, I reckon...even for an old punk.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2018, 10:40:15 PM »
Respect Paul. It's a big tough gig that wasn't really my scene but I've got 11 in the bag so who knows  :) This latest one is brilliant. I love the drums that drives the song. Haven't heard from many other guys doing this but I know @Silver Machine  has knocked out a lot.  Well done All  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Well...for my part...that's me done. I've fulfilled my obligation to do 14...although two were lyrics only and then two were expansions on original ideas that I'd posted...so it was really 10 full songs. Having said that....there were really only nine "proper" songs.

I have written and recorded another 4 or 5 basic ideas during FAWM, but it seems daft uploading them just to show I've done something...and it's daft to wrack my brains trying to come up with lyrics to go with them when I'm not feeling particularly inspired. So that'll do.

For what it's worth, I have enjoyed this year in parts...it's been quite exciting pulling the occasional rabbit out of the hat...but mostly, it had become a workmanlike exercise in song construction. It often feels like I'm out of my depth. There's some fantastic stuff posted there...they're a friendly and supportive bunch, though...although there isn't much time for giving feedback..that's something that it's perhaps best to be able to live without.

Without rambling any further...I've probably got half a dozen songs out of it that I'm pretty happy with...and they're songs I wouldn't have otherwise written. So it's been worthwhile for me.

Massive thanks to the other forum guys who have helped me along with kind words and encouragement. And they've all done fantastically well with their own material...it's anything but easy.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »
Very impressed, guys. I know it’s not for me as I need much more time to get things into a reasonable shape. But I expect it might be quite good to have an annual clearout of ideas and get them past the initial stages. And daily practice helps for the future even if the FAWM songs aren’t the absolute best (though I don’t think there was really a noticeable drop off in quality!)

Chapeaus all round...

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
So it's over. Thanks for comments. Many good songs PaulAds, Pompey, The S.
Frankly I stopped writing for FAWM over a week ago. Got two other songs that I work on now.
Somewhere I changed direction. I wrote a song in Swedish and it was a positive experience. I'm a stranger in the English language and lyrics are hard for me to write. I finally managed to write in an unobstructed way. I'll keep writing in Swedish for a while now.

Cheers,
Martin

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Yup, really great work, I've listened to some fantastic songs and as always, I'm very impressed by you FAWMers. No, I don't consider me being one, I haven't earned the right to call myself that...yet. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of songs that dropped in the last week, my profile page just exploded with people posting songs, hehe, very cool. Sorry guys if I didn't keep up with the commenting and stuff, life happened but I'll try to pop in and make some listens and comments.

Again, great work all of you.

Ps. Martin, good luck with the change of language. (though I think you're really good at writing in english) I've tried swedish but I'm more comfortable in english, I might not be good enough, but that's where I find most ease and flow.

/Peter