FAWM - Area for songs, discussion and therapy!!!

• 60 Replies

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
Hi!

I recorded one of this weekend's songs. It's mostly about Star Wars and a bit inspired by a band called Broder Daniel.

I also wrote a song in Swedish but I don't know if I'll record it for FAWM.

I've heard about the embed function but I resist the temptation.

https://soundcloud.com/k-martin-j/dark-heart-fawmorg-2018

Cheers,
Martin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:41 PM »
Yeah, definitely do the Swedish song @martinswede  I'm not too sure if I'm enjoying my FAWM experience but it is an experience for sure

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
Nice electro song John.

If you're enjoying FAWM you're doing it wrong.

This is my latest. https://soundcloud.com/k-martin-j/join-us-fawm-2018
Simple telephone recording. Hopefully not to sinister for pg-13.

I'll see what happens with the Swedish song.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
You're on fire, Martin! Pomps is going like a train too  :)

I struggled quite a lot with a reggae thing I was trying to do...couldn't get any decent lyrics going at all...I managed to cobble something together...but it's nowt flash...in memory of Willie Fisher...born about 10 miles from me. He was the Soviet agent exchanged on The Bridge Of Spies for the U2 pilot, Gary Powers...

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/the-spy-who-stayed-out-in-the-cold

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »
A great reggae vibe Paul. Some great stuff coming out of FAWM although personally I feel that I'm knocking out songs just for the sake of it and I don't know if I really like that

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »
Yeah...I feel the same, John...it isn't such a bad trade off for a lazy b*st@rd like me, though...

I've recorded another seven or eight ideas...but I'll be AWOL for a couple of days so will have to concentrate on some lyrics instead...I reckon I might do a couple of strange ones again...a dance/synth thing and an acapella maybe...

MjayP

• Busker
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 12:21:00 AM »
A great reggae vibe Paul. Some great stuff coming out of FAWM although personally I feel that I'm knocking out songs just for the sake of it and I don't know if I really like that

This is my first FAWM so I don’t really know too much about it, but I imagine knocking out songs for the sake of it, is part of the process, or quite common. There are no real rules though. If you’re not feeling certain songs, don’t make them! I’d much rather end up with 5 songs I loved than 14 I thought were meh. Personally, I’m in a very creative place at the moment, so I’d be writing a lot, with or without FAWM.

(By the way, I’ve been listening to some of your stuff and enjoying it. There’s so much variation!)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
I’d much rather end up with 5 songs I loved than 14 I thought were meh.

Totally agree with you on this one. I'm just going to write at my normal pace, not for the sake of it  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
I haven’t ended up with five songs I love in over 30 years of writing  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
I haven’t ended up with five songs I love in over 30 years of writing  :D

I agree - It's funny how we feel about our own songs though - Some of the songs that have been on this forum are in my all time fave list :) :)

Here's my latest 2

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/this-train-dont-stop-at-milton-keynes-fawm-2018

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/digital-electro

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
I must agree with John, PaulAds. Some of your songs are highlights in the music I listened to last year.

I'm taking on a different approach to FAWM now. I've decided to record all my unposted songs. To finish the rest of the songs I'll focus fully on lyrics. This opposed to sitting by the piano with underdeveloped lyrics trying to make them work might do wonders.

Fellow FAWMers, I hope your work goes well!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »
Another couple of good 'uns, John. There's no point killing ourselves over it...it's a hell of a thing to try and do, really

I'm running on empty at the moment...making up lyrics on the hoof...and half of the half-tunes I had recorded in my initial flurry of activity all sound the same in places  :)

I didn't even get the opening line of my last one right...recorded the vocals, mixed and uploaded it in less than an hour...I didn't even spot the vocal mistake until the following day. oops  :P

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/clinging-london

I really just tossed together a Who-style number...heavily influenced by the intro to "substitute" and I used Simon Phillips "won't get fooled again" drum loops...got a rather twee acoustic thing lined up next...trying to get some lyrics down now...don't want anything too heavy on this one anyway. Trying to do "jaun-ty" but I'm much more at home with "jaun-diced"

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »
Paul, I've got a couple of instrumentals I can bung you if you think it's remotely worth while. It's a harsh place for sure and to be fair if I've learned anything from it , it's that I don't enjoy writing like that. I see Silver is still smashing it up though  ;)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
@Martinswede  or any other Swedish guys could you possibly do a talk over on this track
Listen to Morddetektiv by pompeyjazz #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/morddetektiv

What I want it to be is a bit of a parody of the  TV stuff we have on bbc4 on Saturday nights which incidentally is my favourite TV ever  :)

Something really straight like .....

My name is xxxx,  I am attached to the homocide squad in Stockholm county. I'm far too old to do this sort of stuff. I have a drink problem and a nagging ex wife. I just want to chill out and listen to jazz / classical / opera / punk.

Any takers?